PDA

View Full Version : GeForce4 MX440 & HLDM

Fat Tony
06-06-06, 10:30 AM
Hello everyone I am hoping you all can help a noob when it comes to this sort of thing.

I have a GeForce4 MX440 and I play Half life multiplayer online via Steam.

I have been playing for several years but I have never tweaked any settings in my video card. I really wouldnt know what to do.

I was told you all could help. My understanding is that my fps should be much higher. right now in game I see an fps of around 60 almost all the time. People keep saying that I should be able to tweak my Nvidia settings and get far better performance out of my GeForce card.

Now I realize that I am behind the times with my card but I would appreciate any help regarding what settings I should have or change to help my fps. I welcome any other suggestions regarding settings as well.

Thanks

nekrosoft13
06-06-06, 10:38 AM
60fps for geforce2 mx is good.

what is the rest of your system

Fat Tony
06-06-06, 10:44 AM
Its a Dell PC.

using windows XP.

512 meg of ram

120 gig hard drive

pentium 4 ( I think)

Im going off memory cuz Im at work right now. What other info would be helpful?

saturnotaku
06-06-06, 11:03 AM
People keep saying that I should be able to tweak my Nvidia settings and get far better performance out of my GeForce card.

They're probably assuming you have a much higher end system than you really do. For what you've listed here, 60 fps isn't at all bad, especially since your video card is 4 generations old and you're running on only 512 MB of system RAM.

Better performance is pretty much going to require you to have at least 1 GB of system memory and a video card that supports programmable shaders. Cards like the Geforce 6800 will offer you a world of better performance and not cost an arm and a leg.

Fat Tony
06-06-06, 11:45 AM
I will certainly take that under advisement. I have intended to upgrade to at least a gig of ram soon anyway. upgrading the video card will have to wait a little while.

In the mean time is there any particular settings within Nvidia I should change for better performance? Right now it is set at all default settings and application controld.

P.S.

Love the quote lol

einstein_314
06-06-06, 11:58 AM
Well, I wouldn't say you need any better "performance". By performance I'm assuming you mean fps. If you don't have any problems with 60fps then don't bother trying to increase the performance. If anything you should try increasing video settings to get better quality (higher resolution, higher textures, better lighting, etc). This will cause you to have lower performance (fps) but it will look nicer. But with a MX440 you can't really expect to get very much performance...it is umm, old, really old.

Fat Tony
06-06-06, 12:04 PM
LOL, yeah I know its ancient. Im just trying to maximize my settings for performance.

stjuart
06-06-06, 03:10 PM
skip ram and gett the better video card first because your really missing out on alot of good visual quality. trust me dx7 vs. dx9 graphics there is a huge difference and ram isnt going to give you better frames than what you have right now, its going to help with loading times mainly and less jerkyness in games but you really should opt to get a better video card, i sold my 9800pro for 60 bucks and that can run circles around the geforce mx440. if you have 60 to 70 go to ebay and get one of those cards or do one better and get either a 6800 agp i asume is what you have. or if you want even better get an ati X800xt and or 7800gs. these will of course cost you well up into the 200 dollar price tag though. shop around and you could get a x800 version for around 150 to 160 and it will give you like 10 times the performance and better image quality , all up to you.
just food for thought.

Fat Tony
06-06-06, 04:22 PM
Thanks I will think about that. I really appreciate all the advice

GamerGuyX
06-06-06, 05:47 PM
Guys... you know there is a chance that he has the PCI version of the MX440. If that's the case then...

watever
06-06-06, 06:34 PM
if its 60 fps all the time.. then v-sync is probably on..

Nitz Walsh
06-06-06, 07:41 PM
skip ram and gett the better video card first because your really missing out on alot of good visual quality. trust me dx7 vs. dx9 graphics there is a huge difference and ram isnt going to give you better frames than what you have right now,
It seems he's talking about Half Life 1 though folks, not HL2. A DX9 card is long overdue for a slew of games of course, but it really won't improve the graphics in HL1, unless we're talking about adding AA + aniso.

stncttr908
06-06-06, 09:04 PM
if its 60 fps all the time.. then v-sync is probably on..
Yes, exactly. Either that, or your fps is capped in the game, but that's usually set to higher than 60.