PDA

View Full Version : wow interesting way to do this. and costly

Athena
06-06-06, 03:16 PM
"Report: PS2 Included with Every PS3

New information from the Japanese magazine Ultra One reveals that Sony intends to include the PS2 chipset with each PS3 manufactured... until a proper PS2 emulator is developed, that is. " from June 6th Game Daily Biz

-Wow I am alomst getting to the point I am worried about Sony. I mean doing it this way just how much money will they be losing on each PS3? My guess is we are looking at near 3 to 4 hundred bucks per PS3 lost due the manufactuting costs. How many games will they have to see to get that back? wow!! I thought MS was crazy on the loss on the 360 they are taking.

Bad_Boy
06-06-06, 03:19 PM
simply for backwards compatibility. ps2 did the same with ps1 hardware. atleast we are sure 99.9% backwards compatibility.
btw, sony is probably selling at a loss as well, its nothing new.

Athena
06-06-06, 03:31 PM
I thought I had remembered that the PS2 had the PS1 chipset. So does that mean the PS3 will be able to play the old PS1 games as well? hmmm....

Marvel_us
06-06-06, 03:35 PM
Well sony confirmed you could play PS1 and PS2 games on PS3 since E3 05. This is no big deal.

GamerGuyX
06-06-06, 04:01 PM
What the hell is so surprising about this!? This is what was done in the past!

LiquidX
06-06-06, 04:13 PM
I thought it was done by software in the case of PS2 emulating PS1.

Hex
06-06-06, 04:17 PM
It is more expensive for them, but I think it will be worth it to them to make sure that the backward compatibility is one promise that will not be broken on launch day.
The last thing they need is something negative and large scale to happen on Nov 17.
It will also give them the chance to put out a revision down the line that will be a bit smaller when they have software emulation in place.

Badboy_12345
06-06-06, 04:20 PM
why do they need to develop a proper ps2 emulator if they already got a ps2 chip in it that works... that makes no sense at all :confused:

Hex
06-06-06, 04:26 PM
Because sending out an extra ps2 chip is an expense that adds up?

aAv7
06-06-06, 04:40 PM
why do they need to develop a proper ps2 emulator if they already got a ps2 chip in it that works... that makes no sense at all :confused:

Because its costs a helluva lot more $$ and guess who ends up paying for it? Yes, us consumers.

Namrok
06-06-06, 05:30 PM
As I recall, MS wanted to do this with the 360's backward comaptibility, but they didn't own the rights to the hardware that had been used in the xbox, so they were forced to rely on software emulation. And thats gotten us about 20-25 xbox games worth playing that work on the 360, and about 100 ones that aren't worth touching. They don't even have all the platinum/player's choice/whatever MS calls them working on the 360.

I think including shrunk down ps2 hardware in the ps3 is the best solution for backward compatibility.

brady
06-06-06, 06:30 PM
At first this sounded silly to me...but I think it's actually a pretty neat idea.

Arioch
06-06-06, 07:18 PM
Sorry, this PS3 thread is not official until NV40 posts on it. :D

ENU291
06-06-06, 07:40 PM
Sorry, this PS3 thread is not official until NV40 posts on it. :D
NB4NV40

|MaguS|
06-06-06, 08:34 PM
This wont increase the cost per unit by much, the PS2 is now profitable in terms of cost vs sales. Its really cheap for sony to make the new chips now sicne they combined the GS and EE into a single chip way back.

As for the reason, this is probably to ensure the best backwards compatibility from the start. This is how the PS2 originally did it, first it had the PSX chip and then later versions went through software emulation.

Edge
06-06-06, 08:39 PM
I'm surprised they would do this, they must not be having much luck with software emulation of the PS2 if they decided to resort to including the PS2 hardware with every console. I wonder how much those components cost, the PS2's hardware sounds pretty complicated (not to mention very specialized).

It's almost funny how different all 3 systems have their own versions of backwards compatibility this generation:

Xbox 360: Software BC
PS3: Hardware BC using separate components for older consoles
Wii: Hardware BC using the same components for both Wii games and BC games

Wii's is definately the most cost effective and functional solution for BC. Of course, I'm sure having to base the system's architecture on the Gamecube's stunted it's growth a bit.

brady
06-06-06, 09:25 PM
There's only one way to get nv40 into this thread...

PS3 graphics are ugly and bad looking!:inform:

::runs and hides in testing forum::

LiquidX
06-06-06, 09:39 PM
I'm surprised they would do this, they must not be having much luck with software emulation of the PS2 if they decided to resort to including the PS2 hardware with every console. I wonder how much those components cost, the PS2's hardware sounds pretty complicated (not to mention very specialized).

It's almost funny how different all 3 systems have their own versions of backwards compatibility this generation:

Xbox 360: Software BC
PS3: Hardware BC using separate components for older consoles
Wii: Hardware BC using the same components for both Wii games and BC games

Wii's is definately the most cost effective and functional solution for BC. Of course, I'm sure having to base the system's architecture on the Gamecube's stunted it's growth a bit.

This also shows the level of difficulty MS must be having if Sony who is familiar with emulation of their previous hardware has to resort to including a PS2 in every PS3 to get it right. Also a sign to all these guys trying to emulate PS2 for the PC to forget about it, because if Sony cant emulate there own hardware that they designed and has been on the market for 6 years no way they will be able to.

npras42
06-07-06, 09:10 AM
I don't believe the PS2 has ever had emulation of PSX software. It has all the hardware of the PSX in it. At first this was on a seperate chipset inside the box, but now they have it all on the same chipset. This is the BEST way of doing it, and in the end the ONLY way of getting 100% BC.

This really isn't anything new and I don't think anyone really expected them to do it in any other way.

Bad_Boy
06-07-06, 12:50 PM
Well microsoft's software emulation worked fine. oh wait...

Edge
06-07-06, 03:52 PM
Well microsoft's software emulation worked fine. oh wait...

It actually does work pretty well, it's just unfinished. If they actually put an effort into making the emulator work as well for other games as it did for Halo/Halo 2, then it would've been almost perfect. As it is, they seem to have taken their focus away from the project once they got a few major games working.

Bad_Boy
06-07-06, 04:21 PM
It actually does work pretty well, it's just unfinished. If they actually put an effort into making the emulator work as well for other games as it did for Halo/Halo 2, then it would've been almost perfect. As it is, they seem to have taken their focus away from the project once they got a few major games working.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71135
"Our goal is to have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360"
"We under promised and over delivered on that."

:thumbsup:

Edge
06-07-06, 05:05 PM
Like I said, they pretty much shifted away from the project after they got a few major games working. They probably could've gotten almost every Xbox game working on the Xbox 360 by the end of the year if they really put their resources toward it. Shame they seem to have given up on it to cut costs.