PDA

View Full Version : Don't expect Half Life 3

Pages : [1] 2

msxyz
06-07-06, 06:11 AM
The three small episodes ARE Half Life 3

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65345

Valve is happy with 3.5 hour expansions that cost $20.

|MaguS|
06-07-06, 06:28 AM
I personally wanted HL3 but if all the episodes they release are as good as Episode 1, then I have nothing to complain about.

anticitizenzero
06-07-06, 06:47 AM
That article is in incorrect, they were discussing it in the steam forums. There will be a Half Life 3

ralinn
06-07-06, 06:47 AM
If they're all as short as Ep1 then I'll have quite a bit to complain about.

Lfctony
06-07-06, 06:48 AM
I have no problem with it, I enjoyed E1 very much. Looking forward to E2.

nutcrackr
06-07-06, 06:51 AM
~9 hours for $60 in around 3 years
OR
~15 hours for $50 in about 6 years

OWA
06-07-06, 06:52 AM
So, does that mean it won't really improve graphically all that much? One of the things I usually look forward to in sequels are the improved graphics. With just mini games being released fairly frequently, will they have time to make major improvements between releases?

Edit: Nevermind if it isn't true. :)

ralinn
06-07-06, 06:53 AM
I'm doubting it. Hopefully it isn't true... Ep1 had no new weapons, about 2 new enemies and looked pretty much the same as HL2 did. Still a good game but I expect more for my money.

msxyz
06-07-06, 06:54 AM
That article is in incorrect, they were discussing it in the steam forums. There will be a Half Life 3
The words from Newell don't leave a lot of room for speuclation:

The original Half-Life took us two years to develop. With a considerably larger team Half-Life 2 took us six years to develop, so we thought if we were going to continue our trend with Half-Life 3 we would basically ship after we had all retired.

I think that Aftermath was almost a temporary name. I always thought of it as Episodes One through Three because that's how we planned the products out. I think people thought we'd need a name for them, and Aftermath ended up being more confusing than helpful. Probably a better name for it would have been Half Life 3: Episode One, but these three are what we're doing as our way of taking the next step forward (...)

If you think of Half-Life 1 as the G-Man trying to turn you into something that was useful to him - the transformation of the player into hero. And then Half-Life 2 was about how he was using you. Half-Life 3 [a.k.a. Episodes One to Three] is about the relationship with the G-Man and what happens when he loses control of you (...)

AdmiralHalsey..
06-07-06, 07:53 AM
Um, was that a direct quote from newell? That would suck, but at least the half-life saga has a definate end now. Kinda painful to see companies dragging out they're successful franchises. Something new [with a LICENSED graphics engine] from valve would be cool.

six_storm
06-07-06, 08:20 AM
Wait till EP 3 comes out and you'll get the first two for free! :D

Superfly
06-07-06, 09:21 AM
This is as true as the grass is green - taken directly from the fat mans interview here:-

|MaguS|
06-07-06, 09:26 AM
This is as true as the grass is green - taken directly from the fat mans interview here:-

way to pay attention...

CaptNKILL
06-07-06, 12:57 PM
I personally wanted HL3 but if all the episodes they release are as good as Episode 1, then I have nothing to complain about.
I agree.

Superfly
06-07-06, 01:08 PM
way to pay attention...

lol, Its been a really bad week.

I'll leave you to it.

Gaco
06-07-06, 02:27 PM

Heh thought I heard stewie there for a while :p

HighTest
06-07-06, 02:42 PM
If they're all as short as Ep1 then I'll have quite a bit to complain about.

Personally I've been very pleased with EP1. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the following two episodes.

So, does that mean it won't really improve graphically all that much? One of the things I usually look forward to in sequels are the improved graphics. With just mini games being released fairly frequently, will they have time to make major improvements between releases?

Edit: Nevermind if it isn't true. :)

It's already been discussed that Source is modular and allows for upgrades to graphics and more. In fact Episode 2 will have some significant additions in order to improve it's outdoor capabilities.

I'm doubting it. Hopefully it isn't true... Ep1 had no new weapons, about 2 new enemies and looked pretty much the same as HL2 did. Still a good game but I expect more for my money.

Trailer for EP2 already shows one significantly new enemy. I suspect there may be more. Being outdoor with horizons off into the distance will look visually different than being in City 17 or the Citadel.

I suspect that "Source" as an engine will meet their needs for quite some time, especially since it is modular and expandable. Even the physics models are modular, so future interactivity should continue to increase. There'll be a reason that HL2 is considered to be more interactive than other titles currently on the market. With that modularity, this should extend beyond the gravity gun in the future.

$n][pErMan
06-07-06, 04:57 PM
Id rather have one big ass game then 3 little games. It breaks it up to much and it looses some of the consistency you have in one big game. Im very disappointed in this turn of events....

CaptNKILL
06-07-06, 05:55 PM
[pErMan']Id rather have one big ass game then 3 little games. It breaks it up to much and it looses some of the consistency you have in one big game. Im very disappointed in this turn of events....
Im just the opposite...

I dont know what it is exactly, but I cant play games constantly for weeks on end. I have to take breaks and play them in chunks.

I took 2 days off in the middle of EP1. I finished it 2 days ago.

Episodic games would be perfect for me. Rather than getting really really into the game for the first week and then getting distracted by something in real life (ZOMG I said it! :p) and not finishing it for 3 weeks and losing the whole feel of it, I can just sit and play for a few days, get a good dose of gaming and then move on to whatever else I should be doing.

I think I've always done this with single player games.

There arent many games I have ever played constantly end to end without stopping, and they are the classics. KOTOR, Deus Ex, Riddick:EFBB, Realms of the Haunting and Outcast come to mind.

tacos4me
06-08-06, 03:29 PM
Well the game IS titled "Half-Life 2 Episode One". They can't really change it to Half-Life 3 sometime down the road, that wouldn't make any sense. These are simply "expansions", or whatever Mr. Newell calls them. But even if these "episodes" suddenly get smashed into one game they call Half-Life 3, it's just a number right? What's after three? Four!

grey_1
06-08-06, 04:21 PM
Im just the opposite...

I dont know what it is exactly, but I cant play games constantly for weeks on end. I have to take breaks and play them in chunks.

I took 2 days off in the middle of EP1. I finished it 2 days ago.

Episodic games would be perfect for me. Rather than getting really really into the game for the first week and then getting distracted by something in real life (ZOMG I said it! :p) and not finishing it for 3 weeks and losing the whole feel of it, I can just sit and play for a few days, get a good dose of gaming and then move on to whatever else I should be doing.

I think I've always done this with single player games.

There arent many games I have ever played constantly end to end without stopping, and they are the classics. KOTOR, Deus Ex, Riddick:EFBB, Realms of the Haunting and Outcast come to mind.

I'd not mind the episodic thing at all if it were done with the same methodology of the LOTR movie trilogy. Weren't they all complete before the first one was released? Let #1 have it's run for a bit, release 2 etc. After a year or whatever release em all as a value pack.

I know this would mean significantly more dev time before the initial release, but just a thought

Brimstone7
06-08-06, 06:18 PM
If Valve has it's way then the very idea of a "Half-Life 3" doesn't make any sense. The very same interview says that while there are only 3 episodes in this arc, there is the very real potential for many more in the future. What if there is no "Half-Life 3" but instead a steady stream of episodes released every 4-6 months that just goes on forever.

This isn't really a debate about if the Half-Life universe will continue, but instead a debate on what form future Half-Life games take.

toxikneedle
06-08-06, 06:23 PM
I think the problem here is that Valve take too long for even small chunks. I'm not sure how I feel about this; then again HL2 is one of my fav games of all time and I was anticipating it for months if not years; yet, I still haven't played Episode 1, and I dont know if I will.

$n][pErMan
06-09-06, 12:27 AM
Half-Life 1 by far is still the best game I have ever played. I cant wait till they finish that one Black Mesa mod for source... that will rock more than HL2 ever did.... :D

jAkUp
06-09-06, 12:41 AM
HL2 EP1 is not short at all. It took me probably about 5 hours or so.

And with the commentary system, that extends it even further.

I mean come on guys, the game costs less than a tank of gas! A TANK OF GAS! For a 5 hour experience? Good deal. Not to mention, this 5 hour game I enjoyed more than the 10 hour HL2. They are both great, but I just think EP1 is better. Better graphics, cooler scripted events. Some of it reminds me of HL1.

Short games can be good too, and you will probably make up the length in replay value.