PDA

View Full Version : Vantec Tornados [80mm]?

AdmiralHalsey..
06-07-06, 08:02 AM
I got my two tornadoes today. When I plugged one in, just to check it out, I was sure something was wrong with the fan. However, plugging the second one in only confirmed my suspicions: This is the loudest fan, of any kind, I have ever heard in my life. I always sneer at "quiet pc" folks. I like loud, powerful fans cooling my hardware so I can overclock more, but nothing has prepared me for this. It, and I swear with every bit of mine, my daughters, and my mothers soul I am not exagerating at all, at all, it sounds like my hair dryer on medium. I'm listening to the two of them whine away, and its actually getting to me. I don't think I could conversate with someone comfortably with these on. I know as soon as one of my freinds comes over, they'll be like" what the **** is that sound?" Its incredible. Are these what started that gay "quiet pc's are cool" trend? Cause this is just insane. My panaflo 120mm pushes about 90cfm and is silent compared to these things, what gives? Bad motor and bearing design I guess. I can't imagine getting my finger caught in one of these. I bet it could rip me to the bone with out slowing one rpm. They intimidate me...:( When I plugged it in to test it, I left the cord wrapped up and just dangled it from the molex. Once I fired it up, i was in the awkward position of being terrified to put my fingers anywhere near it to un-plug it, while it flew and fluttered all over the place. I bet it could chop a karot, or a finger, as fast as I could shove it in there... I might try in fact, since these are NOT staying in my pc. I just went downstairs to get a rum&coke, and I could swear someone was vacuming my room. magazines 5 feet from the back of my pc are fluttering.

AdmiralHalsey..
06-07-06, 08:20 AM
On closer inspection [yes, it destroyed carots, pencils, and shreds paper;) ] I can see that it has a permanant fan guard, shaped like a fan blade itself, oriented in the oppisite direction of the fan blades. I assume this creates turbulence on the outake side, and thus increased air output pressure and volume. It also [I assume] is responsible for the banshee-like whine. Sorry for the double post, I know no-one really cares about my new fans, but I was [prepare for gay pun] blown away by the noise. P.S. It does move air, more than I thought would be possible, so I guess in a server environment these must rule.

msxyz
06-07-06, 09:05 AM
If you lower the supply voltage from 12 V to 5V they will still pump more air than any other average 80mm fan and the sound should be tolerable. I also advise you to mount them using rubber rings to absorb the vibrations that otherwise will gets amplified by the metal case.

AdmiralHalsey..
06-07-06, 09:41 AM
I have no idea how to alter volatages, other than buying a fan controller, which I'm about to do [suggestions???], but they DO seem to resonate both each other and my case, because a slight amount of dissonance causes a "wha,wha,wha" sound [if you're a musician, you'll know exactly what I mean]. I feel both like I wasted my money and a hipocrite for critisizing quiet pc folk for so many years. There is no reason for these to be this loud, and damn the decible sound measurement system and damn it's logirithmic scale which I don't understand...and f(_)ck vantec too while I'm at it....

kwynjunk
06-07-06, 10:05 AM
LOL. I too bought a pair of these and thought people who complain about noise rather than worry about cooling effictiveness were silly.

but you are right.. Way too loud. Like Jet Engines. I plan on getting the Vantec Controller. Right now I don't even have them hooked up

einstein_314
06-07-06, 10:29 AM
There's a reason they are called Vantec TORNADOES. Because they're freakin' loud. I can't stand noisy fans. Drives me nuts.

msxyz
06-08-06, 02:43 AM
I have no idea how to alter volatages, other than buying a fan controller (...)

Sorry, I supposed you knew that molex connectors carry both 12v (yellow wire) and 5v (red wire). Blacks are for ground.

If you don't like to mess with wires, a fan controller is the only solution. Be careful because those Tornados suck a lot of juice (0.76 amp) and most controller cards do not work with more than 0.3-0.5 amps. Vantec makes a controller card compatible with the Tornado, though I don't remeber its name.

AdmiralHalsey..
06-08-06, 09:40 AM
VANTEC NXP-305-BK Black Fan & Light Controller Panel - Retail

Thats what I just got, along with two high cfm Thermaltake blue led fans. Awesome, and yeah I knew they carried both voltages, 5 and 12, but I don't wanna cut my modular cables, or any cables really.

mullet
06-08-06, 09:41 AM
kinda like tha video Jakup made haha it sounded like a hurricane.

AdmiralHalsey..
06-09-06, 04:39 AM
Video? Was his girlfreind in it? Nudity? I'll still be looking for a nice girl while his hotty is gumming him in his wheelchair...:(

AdmiralHalsey..
06-09-06, 04:41 AM
P.S. Frightening tangent I've taken this thread on, eh? But seriously, what video, giggitty...