Step 1) Open wallet....remove $100 bill
Step 2) Lift toilet seat
Step 3) Deposit item obtained in step one in said toilet
Step 4) Pull Handle downward
Step 5) Wave bye-bye to $100 bill

What a waste of a Series 7 GPU

Joe Public
06-07-06, 09:12 AM
Would be nice to know what part you weren't satisfied with tho.

It's a budget GPU. Not really for the power gamer.

GDUG
06-07-06, 01:04 PM
Yes I understand it's "budget" card. I don't think they should have bothered with a card that only performs at around a 6600 level; just to say it has a Series 7 GPU is misleading. Absolutely nowhere on my box does it mention the 64 bit memory BUS? The Series 7 GPU,DDR2 and 256M of memory are plastered all over it? You can bet Nvidia had a hand in packaging too.
Don't get me wrong;I've been quite the Nvidia Fanboy since the TNT/Vanta days.
This is just plain misleading marketing.

saturnotaku
06-07-06, 01:56 PM
Yes I understand it's "budget" card. I don't think they should have bothered with a card that only performs at around a 6600 level; just to say it has a Series 7 GPU is misleading. Absolutely nowhere on my box does it mention the 64 bit memory BUS? The Series 7 GPU,DDR2 and 256M of memory are plastered all over it? You can bet Nvidia had a hand in packaging too.
Don't get me wrong;I've been quite the Nvidia Fanboy since the TNT/Vanta days.
This is just plain misleading marketing.

The onus is on you to do the research before you buy. Use (google) and ask questions on forums like this one before opening your wallet. Caveat empetor.

Stoneyguy
06-07-06, 04:38 PM
The way the numbers seem to fall is this:

1st number is the generation. Higher = newer
next 3 numbers is the power of that generation with the higher being stronger.

Using just that logic and no research at all, is it surprising that a 300 "power" card of this generation is on par with a last generation 600 card?

GDUG
06-08-06, 08:56 AM
The way the numbers seem to fall is this:

1st number is the generation. Higher = newer
next 3 numbers is the power of that generation with the higher being stronger.

Using just that logic and no research at all, is it surprising that a 300 "power" card of this generation is on par with a last generation 600 card?

I think the logic is just flawed: i.e. this price point has already been addressed so why build a card around a new GPU if it's redundant performance-wise?
As such it's misleading.

Stoneyguy
06-08-06, 10:57 AM
features? CineFX 4 and Intellisample 4 are as far as I know exclusive to the 7 generation.

I think the main reason however is that people don't want the 6 generation cards anymore. The lazyness of some consumers equate a higher number to a better product. So it's better for buisness if they let the 6 series fade away and bring out a similar card with the 7 gen chipset.

mark501
06-08-06, 11:04 AM
Are you surprised a budget-card has budget-performance? It might be misleading at first glance but if you dont do some basic research you cant blame anyone but yourself.

And the 7300gs is probably a bit cheaper to manufacture than the 6600-series.

Maverickman
06-08-06, 06:12 PM
Remember how much you paid for the card: $100. Who in their right mind would think that a $100 card would be an exceptional gaming card! No way!!!
The 7300GS is just a budget card for people who want something a little better than integrated graphics. Even the casual gamer needs to avoid these at all costs! I once bought a GeForce FX 5200 "Ultra" which at the time cost $199!!!! Fortunately, I was able to take that stinker back to BB the same day!

GDUG
06-20-06, 10:19 AM
Problem solved with an ATI 1300Pro for 15 bucks more and it can do HDL and AA simultaneouly without choking (read %50 better FPS and more eye candy)... There's your "Price Points" Nvidia.. eat 'em.

a12ctic
06-20-06, 12:50 PM
what an idiot, did you even bother to reasearch the card?

Bearclaw
06-20-06, 01:10 PM
I have this card because I was on a budget system when I first my built mine a few months ago. I have the 7300 GS Turbocache. I'm not sure if it does anything at all (the turbocache) but I enjoy the card. It has worked flawlessly for me and it meets my needs. I am veyr happy with it. I play games like HL2, Doom 3, and FS2004.

heatlesssun
06-20-06, 01:13 PM
Problem solved with an ATI 1300Pro for 15 bucks more and it can do HDL and AA simultaneouly without choking (read %50 better FPS and more eye candy)... There's your "Price Points" Nvidia.. eat 'em.

An X1300 running any game that supports HDR and AA I really doubt runs that well. Got any benchmarks?

superklye
06-20-06, 01:26 PM
I have this card because I was on a budget system when I first my built mine a few months ago. I have the 7300 GS Turbocache. I'm not sure if it does anything at all (the turbocache) but I enjoy the card. It has worked flawlessly for me and it meets my needs. I am veyr happy with it. I play games like HL2, Doom 3, and FS2004.
I have the card, too and I think it's fantastic. The performance was awesome considering it's a budget card. I did a review of it for the site, so you can see my benchmarks and whatnot.

Turbocache just takes 256MB of your system RAM and allocates it to the card if you have 1GB or more of RAM. So I effectively had a 512MB card. BFME2 ran fantastically at 1280x1024 with graphics settings pretty cranked. It was a very impressive card.

Bearclaw
06-20-06, 02:05 PM
I have the card, too and I think it's fantastic. The performance was awesome considering it's a budget card. I did a review of it for the site, so you can see my benchmarks and whatnot.

Turbocache just takes 256MB of your system RAM and allocates it to the card if you have 1GB or more of RAM. So I effectively had a 512MB card. BFME2 ran fantastically at 1280x1024 with graphics settings pretty cranked. It was a very impressive card.

Ya, I can run all of my current games on high settings. I have 2 gigs of RAM so my card works better than if you didn't. I can see what GDUG is complainign about if maybe he didn't have 1 gig. I think the card is fantastic personally, and ecspecially for the price.

GDUG
06-20-06, 03:44 PM
I have 2 Gigs of RAM and an Opty 165 so that's not an issue.
Half-Life ran at ~30FPS on the 7300...it runs ~50 FPS with the 1300 with both AA and HDLwhich the 7300 would not do w/o severe stuttering.
Look I realize this is not meant for earth-shattering gaming performance;I just think they could have done better and still realized their price-point.
In fact this was only meant to be a "transitional" card as I went to PCI-E.
I will still likely get an 7950 GX2 when it's been out a bit and I save up some.;)

hemmy
06-20-06, 06:29 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814141028

Im sorry you were stupid enough to spend 100 bucks on it

7300gt has 8 pipelines and 128bit bus for <100...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122005

hectorsm
06-20-06, 06:43 PM
Poor guy... Maybe he does not know about online shopping so he buys everything at a retail store.

GDUG
06-20-06, 10:28 PM
Ummmm....yeah w/e... personal attacks are rather childish... I don't have a Credit card ATM and Best Buy is 3 blocks away.Try to focus and stay on topic.

superklye
06-20-06, 10:33 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814141028

Im sorry you were stupid enough to spend 100 bucks on it

7300gt has 8 pipelines and 128bit bus for <100...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122005
Wow...that GT actually seems like a pretty decent card.

hectorsm
06-20-06, 10:55 PM
Ummmm....yeah w/e... personal attacks are rather childish... I don't have a Credit card ATM and Best Buy is 3 blocks away.Try to focus and stay on topic.

Your not looking for an advice or recommendation. Read your own post and realize that what your doing gets you no where. Since you now have X1300 try the ATI forum instead for more sympathy.

GDUG
06-21-06, 12:13 AM
Point one: I simply made an observation about said card.
Point two: I did not raise the issue of another card ;someone else did . I responded by stating that was not an option. No more no less.
Point three: The thread is about the 7300gs ;not wheter or not I should have or could have purchased something else regardless of the source.
Point four: Newegg etc. are still "retail"; I think the term you're grasping for is "Bricks and Mortar" as opposed to online outlets.
Point five; Since my initial post was not stated in the form of a question;it's blatantly obvious I was not seeking advice.
I find it rather entertaining several of you are defensive to the point one would think a missed sale for Nvidia directly effects you somehow?
If you feel the need to thread hijack and just make it a pissing contest;have at it.

superklye
06-21-06, 08:12 AM
Point one: I simply made an observation about said card.
Point two: I did not raise the issue of another card ;someone else did . I responded by stating that was not an option. No more no less.
Point three: The thread is about the 7300gs ;not wheter or not I should have or could have purchased something else regardless of the source.
Point four: Newegg etc. are still "retail"; I think the term you're grasping for is "Bricks and Mortar" as opposed to online outlets.
Point five; Since my initial post was not stated in the form of a question;it's blatantly obvious I was not seeking advice.
I find it rather entertaining several of you are defensive to the point one would think a missed sale for Nvidia directly effects you somehow?
If you feel the need to thread hijack and just make it a pissing contest;have at it.
You know, I don't care what the rest of you say, I like this guy.

saturnotaku
06-21-06, 08:26 AM
OK, this thread has officially run its course. The OP wasn't happy with the card he bought, he got a new one he was happy with, let him be.