PDA

View Full Version : POST corruption and hang.

RAY16
06-07-06, 07:16 PM
My friend just built a new system with an Asus A8N-E, Athlon 64 3000+, and a 7600GT (all other parts are leftovers from his old system). When he boots he gets the regular one beep, but then when the boot logo shows up the screen is corrupted (and stays corrupted), then when the post shows up it gives a sequence of very fast beeps. Any ideas?

Here's a video he recorded: Right Click > Save As (http://members.cox.net/dark_swordmaster/100_0697.mov)

ViN86
06-07-06, 09:09 PM
couple possibles:

power supply - too weak
vid card isnt pushed in the slot all the way
reflash the bios
clear the cmos
*bad memory

does he have another vid card to test it with?

*it shouldnt be a memory issue, as the memory really doesnt have much to do at that point in the bootup. then again, you never know what things are doin, heh.

DarkSwordmaster
06-07-06, 09:46 PM
So it turns out I registered here a while back...

Anyway: Yes, I'm having problems.

Power supply is 450w, and I believe that's enough for everything.

Cleared the CMOS (according to the manual. BIOS, mobos, all the behind the scenes stuff is new to me) and that didn't help.

Don't know what reflashing the BIOS is so if you could tell me that'd be great.

The card is nice and firm (I took it out, put it back, firmed it, kissed it, worshipped it and no change).

I believe the memory is just incompatible. It's some sort of budget RAM. "Ultra" is the brand name and I don't know the model because it's covered up by these weird "anti-heat" things that came with them. Either way it worked fine in my last system but this is a new processor and mobo. As far as I can tell though it's just the memory and that sucks cuz I'm poor. Oh well, I guess if I have to replace it I will.

If someone can link me to either some real cheap (but not crappy quality) 2x512 or 2x1GB (for not much more) than I'd be real grateful.

Thanks for your help so far and here's to the continuation of it, cheers! *clink*