PDA

View Full Version : After bios update, can't overclock...at all

OWA
06-07-06, 06:33 PM
Okay, for the 7950 card I needed to upgrade the bios in the Abit A8N-SLI motherboard. I did so and things work fine at stock settings. If I try to overclock the system though, even a little, it posts but shuts down before the windows boot screen comes up. This also happened before I put the 7950 in the system.

Before I upgraded the bios, I could pretty easily overclock to 2.6ghz (stock is 2.4ghz). I tried disabling all the rpm, voltage, temp shutdown options thinking one of those was causing it but it didn't help. I'm not sure what else to try or look for. Any ideas (other than, don't try to overclock it)? :)

retsam
06-07-06, 06:48 PM
did you try to run a mem test?.....or try to reinstall the bios again?

OWA
06-07-06, 07:20 PM
No, thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about re-flashing the bios but thought it must be some settings I'm missing in the bios. So, I was waiting to see if I got any response. I'll go ahead and try that and also try clearing the cmos jumper. I flashed it with the flashmenu utility and it's supposed to clear it but maybe doing it manually would help.

CaptNKILL
06-07-06, 07:51 PM
Heh, I did a BIOS flash on my DFI board yesterday for the same reason.

I forgot to have it clear the CMOS after the flash and when it rebooted, I was greeted by a system that wouldnt even reach the POST screen. I was pretty scared, but clearing the CMOS jumper fixed it.

Thats a VERY important thing to do when flashing. When the BIOS options change, the CMOS settings are all referring to the wrong things... and thats bad :p

OWA
06-07-06, 08:03 PM
I re-flashed and cleared the jumper manually. Still the same thing. I can't overclock at all. That kind of ruins part of the fun of benchmarking though. Oh well, guess I won't overclock.

I'm tempted to go back to the old bios just to see if the 7950 works with it and to see if I can overclock with it.

ViN86
06-07-06, 08:07 PM
i see your 600W PSU there, but just throwin out the idea anyway. maybe the 7950 sucks too much juice and it just doesnt want to OC anymore?

try one of your old cards and see if you can OC again. if you can, then you know it was the card. if you still cant, then you know it was the BIOS update. isnt troubleshooting awesome? :p

CaptNKILL
06-07-06, 08:10 PM
i see your 600W PSU there, but just throwin out the idea anyway. maybe the 7950 sucks too much juice and it just doesnt want to OC anymore?

try one of your old cards and see if you can OC again. if you can, then you know it was the card. if you still cant, then you know it was the BIOS update. isnt troubleshooting awesome? :p
I dont think he has the card yet.

I could be wrong though.

OWA
06-07-06, 08:33 PM
The 7950 is in the 2nd system and it only has a 480W PS. I had the overclocking problem before I even took the XTX out of the system though. I flashed the motherboard earlier today, while I was waiting for the 7950 to be delivered. I also figured I'd do some benchmarks with the XTX while waiting and went to overclock to my normal 2.6 (so it would match my primary system) only to find I couldn't overclock at all. I figured I just had a setting wrong and decided to worry about it later. Well, now it's later and I still can't get it working. :( I usually can overclock to 2.6 pretty easily. Right now, I can't even raise the FSB to 205 without it shutting down during boot. Another thing I noticed is that I use to have OTES fan settings in the bios and I no longer have those. If the bios was corrupt, I'd probably have more problems though right and it would probably fail to flash?

OWA
06-07-06, 08:59 PM
Sorry for another post but the other one was long.

Going back to the bios I was using earlier is working fine. I can now overclock and the 7950 seems to work fine even with the non-approved bios.

fugu_fish
06-08-06, 02:41 PM
Sorry for another post but the other one was long.

Going back to the bios I was using earlier is working fine. I can now overclock and the 7950 seems to work fine even with the non-approved bios.

Wow OWA, I saw you were going to upgrade to GX2's in another thread and I was going to ask you some questions, then I saw this thread..

I am #169 in the step-up queue for a 7950GX2. (went from 222 to 169 in about 3 hours!)

Ok, does the GX2 work in the A8N-SLI Premium using BIOS 1.009?

Judging by your comment above, it looks like it does! Which is great news since BIOS 1.011.006 beta is known to be very buggy and I was dreading having to upgrade to it.

Also, how did the GX2 fare with the Antec NeoPower 480? Hopefully well, because I don't want to upgrade my PSU, too.

Thanks!