PDA

View Full Version : 24 Pin Powersupply with 20 Pin Mobo?

einstein_314
06-08-06, 12:50 AM
Ok so here's the deal. I made (well, am making) a really cheap PC for my dad's company. I ordered a case that came with a powersupply. I didn't notice that the powersupply that came with the case is a 24 pin connector. The motherboard I am using is only a 20 pin connector.

So I plug the 24 pin connector in the 20 pin connector. It only fits in one place and 4 of the pins are hanging off one end. Computer works great.

Now the problem is this...for some reason it won't shut down automatically. Like, windows logs out and then give me the "It is now safe to shut down your computer" message. Like old school AT computers used to give!! So I don't understand why. Is it because I can't just use the 24 pin connector with the 20 pin connector without a fancy adaptor?!? Oh and it restarts fine by itself. It's just the shutdown that doesnt' work.

I don't see why it isn't working...Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks!!!

Infinity666
06-08-06, 12:53 AM
Ok so here's the deal. I made (well, am making) a really cheap PC for my dad's company. I ordered a case that came with a powersupply. I didn't notice that the powersupply that came with the case is a 24 pin connector. The motherboard I am using is only a 20 pin connector.

So I plug the 24 pin connector in the 20 pin connector. It only fits in one place and 4 of the pins are hanging off one end. Computer works great.

Now the problem is this...for some reason it won't shut down automatically. Like, windows logs out and then give me the "It is now safe to shut down your computer" message. Like old school AT computers used to give!! So I don't understand why. Is it because I can't just use the 24 pin connector with the 20 pin connector without a fancy adaptor?!? Oh and it restarts fine by itself. It's just the shutdown that doesnt' work.

I don't see why it isn't working...Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks!!!

The problem is with windows the 4 extra pins dont control that.

einstein_314
06-08-06, 10:22 AM
The problem is with windows the 4 extra pins dont control that.
That's what I figured... But do you know why windows would do this? And how to fix it?!? I've never in my life seen WinXP give that message...Hmmm...to google.