PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Tornado on their CPU heatsink?

kwynjunk
06-08-06, 09:23 AM
What kind of results are you getting vs. stock?

In general?

Anyone use it for OCing an FX60?

AdmiralHalsey..
06-08-06, 09:46 AM
Well, what kind of heatsink do you have? Going from a low flow 120mm fan to a high flow panaflo netted me 200mhz for 20 bucks shipped, along with better temps. I also have a big typhoon, so nothing temperature-wise ever varies, increases, or anything. I wouldn't get a tornado. They're loud. I couldn't convey verbally to you how loud they are. I have the 80mm ones, but the 92s are rated for a higher sound output. Just a thought, if screaming children gets to you, well, this will get to you.

kwynjunk
06-08-06, 10:06 AM
Well, what kind of heatsink do you have? Going from a low flow 120mm fan to a high flow panaflo netted me 200mhz for 20 bucks shipped, along with better temps. I also have a big typhoon, so nothing temperature-wise ever varies, increases, or anything. I wouldn't get a tornado. They're loud. I couldn't convey verbally to you how loud they are. I have the 80mm ones, but the 92s are rated for a higher sound output. Just a thought, if screaming children gets to you, well, this will get to you.

i've already had them sitting around. too loud to run, but i just got the vantec fan controller.

AdmiralHalsey..
06-08-06, 10:17 AM
Really, I just ordered my controller, a vantec, just last night. You'll have to let me know how it works if this thread is still going.

kwynjunk
06-08-06, 11:27 AM
Really, I just ordered my controller, a vantec, just last night. You'll have to let me know how it works if this thread is still going.
no problem. according to my tracking # it'll be here today. I'll try to hook it up tonight and let you know.

Roliath
06-08-06, 04:18 PM
i used a 92mm tornado ONCE on my lapped XP90 on a cold day when i was overclocking my 175.
Sound aside, the fan was at high speed (no fan controller) and did drop my temps about 5~6c on load.

AdmiralHalsey..
06-09-06, 04:37 AM
Thanks kwynjunk, but mines gonna be here tommorow [I love newegg], did you get the one with ccfl lights, or the regular. I also just realized that my case has a door, and a panel with protruding knobs might interfere with it a bit. dremel time...

kwynjunk
06-09-06, 07:15 AM
Thanks kwynjunk, but mines gonna be here tommorow [I love newegg], did you get the one with ccfl lights, or the regular. I also just realized that my case has a door, and a panel with protruding knobs might interfere with it a bit. dremel time...

I didn't get the one with the light controller. I got the $20 one. Whichever that was from Newegg.

My case has a door too (TT Shark), but there was enough room.

Gotta say, this thing is flimsy. Once installed it's fine, but not the sturdiest piece of harware. Works though.

The tornado isn't making much difference though over the other case fan I had.

AdmiralHalsey..
06-10-06, 07:34 AM
Man, your missing out, those lights are bad ass. I've got six 80mm fans hooked to it, two tornadoes on one channel, two high flow thermaltakes [71cfm or something] and two cheapies. Works great. Nothing seems to phase the tornadoes though, your right. Even when they're not pushing hardly anything they're still loud!!! The thermaltakes are average thickness, and push just as much with about 1/4 the noise. I think I'm getting 4 more of those, though my case is so bright I can read by it already...