PDA

View Full Version : BFG 7900GTX (OC) PCIe 512MB - bios update Rev 02 or Rev 3? which is better?

Digital_Trans
06-08-06, 02:11 PM
Okay, MVKTECH.NET has just recently posted two new bios updates for the
BFG 7900 GTX.

1.) BFG 7900GTX (OC) PCIe 512MB - Rev 02 5.71.22.12.25

2.) BFG 7900GTX (OC) PCIe 512MB - Rev 03 5.71.22.12.38

Would someone please explain if these are offical BFG 7900 GTX Bios versions and why there's two of them? :D

MVKTECH.NET direct url link: http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,26/func,selectfolder/cat,63/page,3/ Votes seem to make BFG Rev 02 5.71.22.12.25 the best of the two but I welcome
a few second opinions just to be on the safe side of things. I'd mainly like to know if this is the offical release or not.

saturnotaku
06-08-06, 05:13 PM
What have you been told about flashing the BIOS of your video card?

Digital_Trans
06-08-06, 10:52 PM
What have you been told about flashing the BIOS of your video card?

In review of your question, I would have to say that in the past I've got mixed reviews form members of NV News such as some users like to have the
most resent updated (Bios versions) and others won't flash their cards if there's nothing wrong with it. However, it's my own personal preference
to be updated with the most recent bios versions including video cards and motherboards. I've had great success in updating both in the past.

JaxMacFL
06-09-06, 09:38 AM
I flashed to rev 03 about a week ago. Figured as this video card being a fairly recent release that they have worked out some minor bugs or they wouldn't be releasing this bios. Kind of like drivers. Anyway, no problems here. In fact I do believe gpu1 is running a couple of degrees cooler.

OBTW, I used NVFlash 5.31 and renamed the bios file to bfg7900.rom, as the file name in the zip seemed to be too long.

Digital_Trans
06-09-06, 10:08 AM
I did the flash! All I did was nvflash -5 bios.rom and everything worked out perfectly. Infact, it flashed both cards at the same time in SLI mode. To confirm this, I moved the card from the bottom to the top and it checked out reading that it's firmware bios version was also 5.71.22.12.38 So there for it didn't need to be flashed or it didn't prompt me to need to be flashed like the first card did. So yes! Once you flash the video card's bios in SLI it takes care of both cards at the sametime. Infact, I didn't even have to reinstall drivers at all. I went right into Windows XP x64 with no problems and checked the bios version and there it was Rev 03 5.71.22.12.38

kinnane
06-09-06, 02:29 PM
Do you have benchmarks from before and after the BIOS swap???

is there any diffrence in performace? thats the big question.

Digital_Trans
06-09-06, 03:55 PM
Benchmark score using 3DMARK06 Professional Edition.

Score > 7,248 I'd sure like to see a better score then that. I thnk all the options in 3DMark06 Pro are set for the test proper. Anyway, that's the only Benchmark I've ever posted on here.

augustheat
06-10-06, 01:37 PM
ok possible stupid question..I downlaoded all the tools to flash (bios and nvflash 5.31) but how the heck do i DO IT? when i run the exe i get a dos window with options but no matter what i hit it scrolls down to more options then just quits... any helpful ideas? I have no floppy drive so i dont think i can run in pure DOS?

Digital_Trans
06-10-06, 08:41 PM
ok possible stupid question..I downlaoded all the tools to flash (bios and nvflash 5.31) but how the heck do i DO IT? when i run the exe i get a dos window with options but no matter what i hit it scrolls down to more options then just quits... any helpful ideas? I have no floppy drive so i dont think i can run in pure DOS?

So, you have no 3 1/2 floppy drive. Try making a bootable CD. If I were you, I'd become a registered member at www.mvktech.net and also search the forums and post your problem in the related forum topic and see if one of those guys can help you. Their great and respond fast! :D

Idoru
06-11-06, 05:17 PM
Can someone use Nibitor to see if they've tweaked the Geometric delta clock at all... usually set to 50, it has been suggested that setting it lower - or to zero - can cure the freezing/lockup/BSOD issues people have been having with 7900s.