PDA

View Full Version : I would love to buy a 7950GX2 BUT !!!

Pages : [1] 2

Blasphemer
06-08-06, 05:06 PM
I have yet to see anyone trying to run one in a board like mine or indeed any board with a ULi chipset which is a bit strange considering who owns ULi.
I know the issue would be with device enumeration with the 2 cards 1 device thing. And i have heard this could be tackled in a bios update, but seeing as this is unlikely to happen as Nv doesnt seem to be releasing new drivers for ULi chipsets I am hesitant.
On the NV website it states that the GX2 is compatible with all PCI-E compliant motherboards, does this mean it will work? Has anyone had problems where it wouldnt work at all?
I'm just so confused and dont want to blow 400 and then need to splash out again for a new Mobo. Maybe some website could test the GX2 on different mobos to see how they go, must be better than the small list on NV's website. This would be my last purchase for this mobo, and would give it the maximum longevity.

Help me intarweb !!!:D

shungokusatsu
06-08-06, 05:10 PM
I have yet to see anyone trying to run one in a board like mine or indeed any board with a ULi chipset which is a bit strange considering who owns ULi.
I know the issue would be with device enumeration with the 2 cards 1 device thing. And i have heard this could be tackled in a bios update, but seeing as this is unlikely to happen as Nv doesnt seem to be releasing new drivers for ULi chipsets I am hesitant.
On the NV website it states that the GX2 is compatible with all PCI-E compliant motherboards, does this mean it will work? Has anyone had problems where it wouldnt work at all?
I'm just so confused and dont want to blow 400 and then need to splash out again for a new Mobo. Maybe some website could test the GX2 on different mobos to see how they go, must be better than the small list on NV's website. This would be my last purchase for this mobo, and would give it the maximum longevity.

Help me intarweb !!!:D

I can't say for sure that exact board will work, but 7950 requires a 16x pcie slot. However, many users are confiming they are running the card fine in 8x pcie boards. Jakup is even using Quad SLI on an 8x board! Best thing to do is keep searching forums and here to see if anyones tried your mboard yet.

Blasphemer
06-08-06, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, my board does have a PCI-E 16x slot,so that would mean each G71 using 8x. It gets more tempting by the minute.

shungokusatsu
06-08-06, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, my board does have a PCI-E 16x slot,so that would mean each G71 using 8x. It gets more tempting by the minute.

I believe I read earlier that it'll be running at 16x, not 8 ;)

Tikiman44
06-08-06, 07:07 PM
I think people are really confused with the 7950 GX2. To help clarify:

1. The card runs at the full PCI-E x16 all around
2. The card really is running with 1GB not like the 512MB some might think
3. This is not SLI it is a Multi GPU card
4. It is one card.

:D

shungokusatsu
06-08-06, 07:12 PM

4. It is one card.

5. It's the fastest single based card on the market. :p

Blasphemer
06-09-06, 02:23 PM
Yeah i understand its got a PCI-E switch to direct the full 16x to each gpu in turn. And the mobo has to understand that the gpus are behind the switch.

Xion X2
06-09-06, 05:58 PM
It might really use that 1GB of memory, because all the textures in Oblivion load up faster than they did before on my single 7900GTX.

shungokusatsu
06-09-06, 05:59 PM
It might really use that 1GB of memory, because all the textures in Oblivion load up faster than they did before on my single 7900GTX.

Does it actually show up as 1GB in the cp options?

Xion X2
06-09-06, 06:04 PM
Nah, just 512. It must just be the extra GPU power that helps load textures quicker, because it definitely does. It's seemless now--on the fly, when normally it would pause for a second w/ my GTX.

Blasphemer
06-16-06, 03:03 PM
I have been watching the asrock ocw forums and apparently the 7950 works with the 939dual sata, which is great news, but i'm just so much closer to blowing 405 on one :D

Update : I've done it !!! i've bought one, my god i'll have to hide my balls from the missus before she rips them off.

shungokusatsu
06-16-06, 03:35 PM
I have been watching the asrock ocw forums and apparently the 7950 works with the 939dual sata, which is great news, but i'm just so much closer to blowing 405 on one :D

Update : I've done it !!! i've bought one, my god i'll have to hide my balls from the missus before she rips them off.

LOL, these cards are well worth it, I haven't enjoyed my system this much in some time.

Tr1cK
06-16-06, 04:18 PM

4. It is one card.

So my question is, do you have to run it in SLI mode to take advantage of both GPUs?

shungokusatsu
06-16-06, 04:21 PM
So my question is, do you have to run it in SLI mode to take advantage of both GPUs?

Technically they aren't running in SLI, the drivers auto enable "multi gpu" which runs just like SLI. Even with just 1 of these dual gpu cards, you'll be able to play anything if the rest of your system is up to date.

Lfctony
06-16-06, 04:41 PM
Post some results when you get it mate. :)

einstein_314
06-16-06, 04:54 PM

4. It is one card.

Umm, I think you're a little confused...

1) You can run one of these cards in a 8x PCI-E slot and it will work fine. jAkUp's board is a 16x board so it splits it to 8x for each card (he's running Quad SLI)

2) Each card has 2 GPU's which each have 512 MB. They cannot share the RAM. So it is effectively 512MB only. Just like with SLI if you have 2x 256MB cards, it isn't 512MB it's only 256MB.

3) I think it is technically SLI. Just it's done on the card.

lee63
06-17-06, 06:57 AM
LOL, these cards are well worth it, I haven't enjoyed my system this much in some time.
Its been a while for me to (nana2)

shungokusatsu
06-17-06, 07:47 PM
Its been a while for me to (nana2)
Definately, I can't find a single game these cards can't destroy. Can't wait for the Prey demo thursday to further test them out.

Tr1cK
06-20-06, 11:22 AM
Technically they aren't running in SLI, the drivers auto enable "multi gpu" which runs just like SLI. Even with just 1 of these dual gpu cards, you'll be able to play anything if the rest of your system is up to date.

I was just wondering because I use dualview which doesn't work with SLI.

OWA
06-20-06, 11:25 AM
I was just wondering because I use dualview which doesn't work with SLI.
I think you'll have to disable the multi-gpu mode to use two monitors just like you would with SLI.

heatlesssun
06-20-06, 11:34 AM
Yes, you have to disable multi-GPU mode when running two monitors from the 7950. It's not so bad, but sometimes, even the the 91.31's, you have to reboot to go back to multi-GPU. I can't seem to determine a pattern other than the longer I running in dual monitor mode, the more likely I have to reboot.

If they could only not require a reboot, ever, then it would really not be an issue. Rebooting is never fun.

Blasphemer
06-20-06, 05:59 PM
Well it turned up today, and its installed into my cheapo Asrock uncertified mobo. And it all works :D . just using the drivers off the cd at the moment, but it all seems pretty stable, had a bit of a drive around in NFSMW at 16x12 with all the eye candy on, very nice :D

shungokusatsu
06-20-06, 07:27 PM
Well it turned up today, and its installed into my cheapo Asrock uncertified mobo. And it all works :D . just using the drivers off the cd at the moment, but it all seems pretty stable, had a bit of a drive around in NFSMW at 16x12 with all the eye candy on, very nice :D

Use the 91.31's, especially if your only using a single 7950.

tornadog
06-20-06, 10:17 PM
I have a cheapo MSI Neo4-F mobo but Nvidia's site lists only the Neo4 Platinum. Does that mean it wont work on my board?? Is there a list somewhere with people posting what works and what doesnt?

shungokusatsu
06-20-06, 10:26 PM
I have a cheapo MSI Neo4-F mobo but Nvidia's site lists only the Neo4 Platinum. Does that mean it wont work on my board?? Is there a list somewhere with people posting what works and what doesnt?
You have to just look around, but most of the NF4 boards work with the lastest bios installed. Good idea though, we should make a board dedicated entirely to which boards do and do not work.