PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the 7900GT?

Maverickman
06-08-06, 06:08 PM
I've been thinking about getting a 7900GT for my system, but I've been reading all these posts from people who have the card and are experienceing all kinds of problems with it. It's definitely scared me off. I don't think that it would've been a huge upgrade over my BFG 7800GT anyway, but I'm not willing to take the risk. Some posts have argued that the problem centers around the tendency of some vendors to really overclock their cards which puts a strain on the stock cooling fan on the 7900GT. Apparently, that small fan is unable to cool the card with even a nominal overclock. I'm not willing to get another cooling fan either. I can always wait for the GeForce 8800GT later this year!

watever
06-08-06, 06:13 PM
i really dont think its the overclocks on the card that are killing them since my card is a vanilla gt and artifacts on stock speeds (450/1320). Im on my 3rd card already and this one is just like the first 2... goes bad after a couple days use on stock speeds.

Stevedroid
06-08-06, 06:56 PM
Well here's something to consider. The 7900GT problem rate does seem a bit higher than normal. However, the cards sold like hot cakes, there are a lot of people out there with them. So even if the problem rate was about the same as any card, you're going to see more people having problems because more people have them.

I've never had any artifacts with my two overclocked 7900GTs. I did install Zalman VF900s on them because I got nervous, but I ran them for about a month before that with no problems except the occaisonal lock up in FarCry and I'm pretty sure that's a game/driver issue.

That being said if you're looking to upgrade, and can save up a bit more, I would strongly recommend a 7900GTX. The 7900GTXs are coming down in price and if you're willing to wait I bet in a couple more weeks you'll be able to pick one up for $400-$430 and that's a pretty good deal.

Sometimes I regret that I didn't have a bit more patience and get a 7900GTX instead of my GTs.