PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9700 Pro or GeForce FX for new system?


Bubblebug
02-04-03, 07:12 PM
I will be buying a new system at the end of this month, which card should i get? Will the Ge force fx be out at the end of febuary?

Im getting a new dell computer

jAkUp
02-04-03, 07:15 PM
nope... dell computers probably wont have the geforcefx... you need to put one in yourself if you want it. alienware will, but dell... i highly doubt they will have them for a while.
for the upgraders though, geforcefx should be out by the end of the month

MrNasty
02-05-03, 12:29 AM
Get the 9700 pro. it performs better has better image quality, less fan noise, smaller board than the GFFX...

Not to mention IT'S CHEAPER !

Use your head and go for 9700pro.

evildia
02-05-03, 12:55 AM
Definitely 9700 Pro

Sazar
02-05-03, 01:20 AM
I'll throw a wrench in your plans :)

wait for the r350... should be around 350-400 price range per ATi.. and it will be the fastest thing around when it debuts...

MrNasty
02-05-03, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Sazar
I'll throw a wrench in your plans :)

wait for the r350... should be around 350-400 price range per ATi.. and it will be the fastest thing around when it debuts...

Too expensive. Use your loaf and go for more value for money.

Gator
02-05-03, 05:58 AM
unless Dell made their own custom cooling solution (not likely either) you will not see the GFFX available from them. Dell's have always been considered pretty quiet, as they install the minimum amount of fans and smallest PSU possible in each system. a GFFX isn't their style. But if Gainward comes thru on the silent GFFX, then we'll see

Hanners
02-05-03, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Sazar
I'll throw a wrench in your plans :)

wait for the r350... should be around 350-400 price range per ATi.. and it will be the fastest thing around when it debuts...

Yeah, this is my plan now too... Even if the R350 is too expensive for you, it should cause 9700 Pro prices to drop.

abb
02-05-03, 07:05 AM
Dude....Don't buy a Dell. Build your own. Prebuilt computers are difficult to upgrade down the line because they have their own motherboards that are not upgradeable. it might have a little bit of headroom for the cpu, but not much. If you build your own, all you have to do is buy the parts to upgrade and not a new computer from Dell. You would be saving yourself a ton of money down the road. If you are new to building, I can send you a pdf file that is a beginners guide to PC building. It is very informative.
Abb

Uttar
02-05-03, 07:11 AM
MrNasty, *PLEASE* stop saying crap.

First, you suggest the Radeon 9700 Pro. That's fine with me, it's easily justifiable.

But then you say only "value for money" matters. Then you still suggest R300.
Well, basically, that means you aren't very interested in the GPU market if you don't even know that the RV350 ( should be released at the same time as the R350, I said *should* ) would be a better deal then.
So, if you wanted to counter the R350, you had to suggest the RV350, not the R300!

But of course, you don't know anything about GPUs. You're way too busy flaming people to even know what you're talking about :rolleyes:


Uttar

Ratchet
02-05-03, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
MrNasty, *PLEASE* stop saying crap.

First, you suggest the Radeon 9700 Pro. That's fine with me, it's easily justifiable.

But then you say only "value for money" matters. Then you still suggest R300.
Well, basically, that means you aren't very interested in the GPU market if you don't even know that the RV350 ( should be released at the same time as the R350, I said *should* ) would be a better deal then.
So, if you wanted to counter the R350, you had to suggest the RV350, not the R300!

But of course, you don't know anything about GPUs. You're way too busy flaming people to even know what you're talking about :rolleyes:


Uttar
I think he was suggesting that he could get about the same level of performance for much cheaper if he bought a R300 (9700/Pro I assume) - but I think the best "value for money" is easily the 9500 Pro, those things kick a remarkable amount of ass (my 9500 Pro review (http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/sapphire9500p/)).

And the RV350 will not be out at the same time as the R350, not even close to the same time actually.

Uttar
02-05-03, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Ratchet
And the RV350 will not be out at the same time as the R350, not even close to the same time actually.

Well, there are a lot of different leaks, some true and some false. I'm still of the opinion the RV350 should be released very shortly after the R350 and not with the R400, but I could be wrong.


Uttar

Sazar
02-05-03, 07:56 AM
teh rv350 should be released a bit after the r350...

the r350 per the INQUIRER... is supposedly in mass production... take that any which way you choose...

the rv350 has taped out in november/december per rumours so it may be a month or so behind the r350... or not... I am not privy to that info... :)

but it should definitely be out before the r400.. it is in ati's best interests to get this part out as soon as possible..

creedamd
02-05-03, 08:03 AM
get the 9700pro betweent the choices that you picked. It is proven and available.

SnakeEyes
02-05-03, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by abb
Dude....Don't buy a Dell. Build your own. Prebuilt computers are difficult to upgrade down the line because they have their own motherboards that are not upgradeable. it might have a little bit of headroom for the cpu, but not much. If you build your own, all you have to do is buy the parts to upgrade and not a new computer from Dell. You would be saving yourself a ton of money down the road. If you are new to building, I can send you a pdf file that is a beginners guide to PC building. It is very informative.
Abb

This really depends on a few different things, abb.

First and probably most important is what Bubblebug's tech level is (and how inclined he/she is to want to learn more about the inner components of a PC than most home users).

The second is whether or not he/she already has (had?) a computer prior to this new one. If so, then this person probably also has software that can be used with the new custom self-built PC. If not though, you've got to look at software bundle value vs. the cost of acquiring the OS and various other software that most people want on a PC seperately.

I agree 100% that home-built can be cheaper in the long run, but with OS / home office software prices climbing ever higher, getting an OEM machine that includes it as the first PC is usually a better deal. Then, later, once you're ready for another system upgrade, start looking at building yourself, and reuse whatever you can of the software. I personally went this route, and it's been much cheaper than what my friends have spent when they decided to build from scratch the very first time they got a PC (not to mention much less frustrating, since they had to learn all about the internals immediately, while I had the opportunity to upgrade individual components and learn about the different parts over a much longer period of time before I had to put it all to use assembling everything myself. ;))

Edit: Forgot to answer my opinion on the video card thing- for now, the 9700Pro is probably a better choice. GF-FX should be fine, if a bit noisy and somewhat hotter running while gaming, but the 9700 will get you what amounts to the same performance levels with slightly higher IQ (heh, imo much higher IQ) while producing less heat and noise, all at a lower price than the GF-FX. The R350 might be a better buy once it gets here, but with ATI not even having made the official announcement yet, it doesn't sound like it'll be around for at least 2 more months, if not 3. That's time that you could be enjoying gaming with one of the other cards.

Steppy
02-05-03, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
The R350 might be a better buy once it gets here, but with ATI not even having made the official announcement yet, it doesn't sound like it'll be around for at least 2 more months, if not 3. That's time that you could be enjoying gaming with one of the other cards. I have a feeling ATI is looking for "payback" for the quick launch of the GF3's TI's back at the 8500 launch(The TI's launched literally like 2 weeks from when we first got wind of em(not just guesses). I have a feeling you will see R9900's in stores like 2 weeks after the "launch".

R9700PRO
02-05-03, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by MrNasty
Get the 9700 pro. it performs better has better image quality, less fan noise, smaller board than the GFFX...

Not to mention IT'S CHEAPER !

Use your head and go for 9700pro. you keep forgetting, Nvidiots are like sheep=no brains.

abb
02-05-03, 06:08 PM
I think that I am going to wait for the R350. I now heard a rumour that the GFX is going to be pulled.
Abb