PDA

View Full Version : I think Oblivion is overrated and I got totally boreded out.

flukester
06-09-06, 01:26 PM
Or at least the 3rd person kind of RPGs. I don't know whats wrong with me but Oblivion I find over rated, boring and a real slouch to run. I remember when i first loaded it up it was awesome but then the quests got totally boring and I don't like games that spawn baddies in here and there and appear when you leave and area and come back. Then I'd get killed because of sudden video lag in important fights and having to redo it a million times running to areas of the map where my fps wouldn't drop. I don't even think this game is a video hog either, it seems more my 3500+ cpu can't handle it.. Wouldn't suprise me if my Xfi was also a cause of the lag.. I just give up finding out how to improve it. Not to mention I have no HDR with AA just sucks..

Anyone else have same issue? I think I'm going to sell my copy off because I just see no going back to it. I rather play a RPG like NWN's myself and Guild Wars which I think are awesome. Maybe not story wise, but playability.

de><ta
06-09-06, 01:59 PM
The quest are a bit short compared to Morrowind. But I like the game due to the mods that you can download for free and mucking around with the TES construction set. The CPU bound lag is mainly from the ingame physics such as the grass and trees moving about in huge areas, you can disable it. Still if there are more then 20+ npc's on screen it starts lagging a lot.

Namrok
06-09-06, 02:13 PM
You know I had the same problem with morrowind, sort of. The gameplay just didn't appeal to me, the quest were boring as can be with nothing to do with each other. Travelling around was such a pain in the ass. It took me 3 or 4 tries at the game before I could stay interested for more than a few hours, but that still eventually tappered off without me finishing the game.

Oblivion seems worlds better in that regard at least. I picked it up for the 360 after *cough* acquiring it for the PC and not liking how it ran. So far I've had a blast. The PC version's controls seemed to suffer from being designed for a control pad anyways, at least so far as the menu's went.

flukester
06-09-06, 02:29 PM
Oh I doubt there's any going back. The game just totally bores me right out. I'd rather do the game with an Uzzi. THAT would make it a lot more appealing. Going around and having sex with all the chicks in the game would help. Grenading those little bastard in the Oblivion gates that take 24+ arrows and still walk around as a pincushion..Setting up and explosive just as a whole bunch of peasants walk by and blow up the buildings they go into..That's about the amount it would take to get me interested in Oblivion. I also find the graphics are hugely overrated. Especially when you talk to some of them and they have these tears in their face or glowing lips and really bad color blending on the faces.. It's nice lush landscapes and stuff but it's all ruined when you talk to anyone. It's like they cut half the facial animations out or something. Ecckk. Think I will try and sell it on eBay, just wanted to see if anyone else was feeling like me... but I guess I'm maybe the odd one out..

Ah well, back to Blood Money.. oh wait, I mean, work.

|MaguS|
06-09-06, 02:33 PM
I think its over rated but far better then Morrowind. Sure Morrowind was more nonlinear and freeroaming but man I got lost and bored so quickly. Atleast with the journal and quest markers I can get back on track after not playing for acouple days in Oblivion.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this game is the greatest or even in the top 5 RPGs but its not bad at all.

Tygerwoody
06-09-06, 03:31 PM
Anyone can say Oblivion is overrate..... which it was by far. However, its probably the best $60 I've spent on a video game in a LONG LONG time. Noone can say with a straight face it wasn't at least worth $60 bucks no matter how much you don't like it. I've said before I'm not happy with alot of choices bethesta has made with this game, but you'd be hard pressed to find a game with so much content in it.

K007
06-10-06, 12:49 AM
Bah..wasted my cash. This game should have had a demo..really boring. I like games like KOTR series and recently i started playing II again..its more fun and intresting.

And for some odd reason i think 1.1 patch the latest one seems to crash the game quiet a bit..

It kinda feels like WoW..in a bit more fancy/single player mode..but after playing WoW and getting Rank 14 in PvP..i really am not intrested in that game lol ><.

The 3rd person view mode is kinda gay to..character moves when moving side ways..and movements feel very strange...ice skating almost. Not my thing ><

Ive already uninstalled the game..got out of the sewers..crashed there so i had to reload game..got out again..vent into some instance or w/e...got out..walked a few..crashed after killing a few mobs cbf with the game anymore.

muaddib
06-10-06, 06:17 AM
I find it boring too, but it holds a certain charm within it and it has superb graphics which display its magical landscapes (I'm a big fan of such landscapes and nature) beautifully. That's why I'm keeping it, although on the gaming side it's boring as hell. Besides, when I'll have the right rig, it's a great "Show-Off" game.

superklye
06-10-06, 10:44 AM
Anyone can say Oblivion is overrate..... which it was by far. However, its probably the best $60 I've spent on a video game in a LONG LONG time. Noone can say with a straight face it wasn't at least worth $60 bucks no matter how much you don't like it. I've said before I'm not happy with alot of choices bethesta has made with this game, but you'd be hard pressed to find a game with so much content in it.
Huh? All you do is **** talk this game...

K007
06-10-06, 10:51 AM
Huh? All you do is **** talk this game...

You mean Fed-Ex..even then this game is bloody annoying to get it to work..soo many bugs..too much stuff for just a fed ex with pretty graphics

The sorrunding is really nice..but characters..they are so fugly for some odd reason..not sure if its me but they look really crap.

I have played WoW for about a year now, ive gone through 4 60s..a few 50s..1 Rank 14 pvp.and a Rank 13..and Oblivion is very similar to WoW PvE gameplay(minus the instances..ie mc crap like that)...its pretty much a grind..its so boring doing x/x crap.. I dont know if its 1.1 patch but i just got the game out of the box..installed..patched..auto detect High Quality for me..and i cant even play the game for more than 20 mins without crashing..just plain desktop crash..seems you need the perfect "Gem" for this game to work...i have never had so much problems with 1 single game i have had in the past 2-3 years.

Looking forward to NWN2 and hopefully a KOTR III.. NWN 1/KOTR series is really awsome.

guyjeb1
06-12-06, 02:25 PM
You mean Fed-Ex..even then this game is bloody annoying to get it to work..soo many bugs..too much stuff for just a fed ex with pretty graphics

The sorrunding is really nice..but characters..they are so fugly for some odd reason..not sure if its me but they look really crap.

I have played WoW for about a year now, ive gone through 4 60s..a few 50s..1 Rank 14 pvp.and a Rank 13..and Oblivion is very similar to WoW PvE gameplay(minus the instances..ie mc crap like that)...its pretty much a grind..its so boring doing x/x crap.. I dont know if its 1.1 patch but i just got the game out of the box..installed..patched..auto detect High Quality for me..and i cant even play the game for more than 20 mins without crashing..just plain desktop crash..seems you need the perfect "Gem" for this game to work...i have never had so much problems with 1 single game i have had in the past 2-3 years.

Looking forward to NWN2 and hopefully a KOTR III.. NWN 1/KOTR series is really awsome.

True, Oblivion seems to require more than what's out there, even for the highest settings. But your system isn't really prepared for the game either...

I saw this game online and decided to build my own from scratch, tried to go cheap but, really cant..
got a
AMD Duel 3800+ Manchester
2 gigs of cosair XMS
1 MSI X1800 512 ATI
250 WD 7200 hard drive

pretty much all that plus basics (cd/dvd floppy etc..) and plus software (O/S, Microsoft office student)

It was a total cost of $1,400

pretty expensive game indeed....

But then again, I wont need a new computer for a while.

-Jeb

guyjeb1
06-12-06, 02:27 PM
K007,

my mistake on that last reply, thought you were dominant06. was looking at this Machine.

-Jeb