PDA

View Full Version : Install a soundcard, GPU temps go up 20c!

Pixelsmack
06-09-06, 02:07 PM
All I did was install an xFI card. Granted it does sit RIGHT next to one of my 7900GTs AND it does block the holes in the case that were providing direct ventilation for the 7900GTS....but WOW.

I went fom 47c idle to 61c (71c under load)! And I am UNDERCLOCKING my SLI setup too.

Guess I need to figure out how to cram my blower in there....there's just no room!

grey_1
06-09-06, 02:53 PM
When I was on air using my sli-D mobo I wound up leaving the side off the case for the airflow, very tight SLI fit.

shungokusatsu
06-09-06, 05:44 PM
Odd, when I put my Xfi card between the SLI cards my top card temp went up 2C more. Once I opened the door and got better cooling both cards went down to 30C. You might need better ventilation and cooling.

kwynjunk
06-09-06, 05:53 PM
Odd, when I put my Xfi card between the SLI cards my top card temp went up 2C more. Once I opened the door and got better cooling both cards went down to 30C. You might need better ventilation and cooling.

How are you getting your temps that low on your Video Card?

What cooling are you using?

shungokusatsu
06-09-06, 05:57 PM
How are you getting your temps that low on your Video Card?

What cooling are you using?

I installed air conditioning vents and placed them is specific locations for my Theater room displays and computers. The vents blow directly into the machines and HDTV's. Hell I've been able to get them much lower but it gets too damn cold in the room lol. Even before that I used a giant cooling fan that was the same exact size of the case and my gpu's temps never went over 38C.

kwynjunk
06-09-06, 06:00 PM
I installed air conditioning vents and placed them is specific locations for my Theater room displays and computers. The vents blow directly into the machines and HDTV's. Hell I've been able to get them much lower but it gets too damn cold in the room lol. Even before that I used a giant cooling fan that was the same exact size of the case and my gpu's temps never went over 38C.

wow! Talk about extreme measures. You're a trip:D

What would happen if you put a fan on the bottom of your case blowing up on the video Card?

shungokusatsu
06-09-06, 06:07 PM
wow! Talk about extreme measures. You're a trip:D

What would happen if you put a fan on the bottom of your case blowing up on the video Card?

My fathers owns a construction business, when we get the AC guys good projects, they return the favors in awesome ways :D I'm not sure about the fan from under. When I was using a huge fan it placed it o nthe side of the tower so it would hit both GPU's simaltaneously giving them equal air. Since only 1 side door was open ,the air had no where to go but all over the tower, resulting in significant drops all around. I've seen some users buy 80mm fans and put them on top of each card, but they were running water cooled systems. Check it out.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7271/80mmfan9iz.jpg

ViN86
06-09-06, 06:19 PM
that setup looks awesome

shungokusatsu
06-09-06, 06:25 PM
that setup looks awesome

Ya fans sucking cold air off the radiator blowing them directly onto the cards. It's almost like running a turbo car with an intercooler and using n2o to cool the intercooler lol.

kwynjunk
06-09-06, 06:39 PM
I thought my TT Shark case was huge.

What kinda case is that

shungokusatsu
06-09-06, 06:48 PM
I thought my TT Shark case was huge.

What kinda case is that

Dunno, that's not my case. And you wanna see huge, my case weighs 60+lbs!

Here's mine when I first assembled it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/ragingdemon/P5200002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/ragingdemon/P5200003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/ragingdemon/room.jpg

Ya, I'm a video game junkie :rw:

kwynjunk
06-09-06, 08:20 PM

Nice cooling. Love the house fan.

Do you have a soundcard sandwiched between those video cards?

If I get another card that seems like the only spot my soundcard will fit.

shungokusatsu
06-09-06, 08:22 PM
Nice cooling. Love the house fan.

Do you have a soundcard sandwiched between those video cards?

If I get another card that seems like the only spot my soundcard will fit.

Yep, that was the only slot I could put my sound card in.

tacos4me
06-09-06, 09:34 PM

Ya, I'm a video game junkie :rw:

Can you hear anything over all thoes fans? :eek: I can barely handle three.

shungokusatsu
06-09-06, 09:36 PM
Can you hear anything over all thoes fans? :eek: I can barely handle three.

With 7.1 digital surround sound I can't hear crap so it all works out lol.