PDA

View Full Version : TechTV program on the GeForce FX

Sazar
02-04-03, 09:45 PM
interesting piece... and they had linked directly to www.hardocp.com to get their benchmark figures...

firstly both cards were shown side by side and a couple of audience members were warned not to swear when they saw the size/weight of the gf FX lol... the 9700pro weighed half a pound... the gf FX weighed 1.5 lb's

2 sets of benchmarks were shown... the scores for 3dmark2001se with 2xaa and 8xfsaa... and same for ut2k3...

all in all Kyle made it abundantly clear that the gf FX made a huge amount of noise... he said the new iteration runs silent in 2d mode but did kick on in a couple of apps he was using... 3d studio being one (I suspect this might be because it is 3 DIMENSIONAL lol...)

the heat was also discussed with the gf FX supposedly producing between 75-80 watts of heat... the flow FX feature did remove heat per kyle but was also dumping a large amount of heat into the case...

in conclusion he said the card was late and was not sure why nvidia even bothered to release a card that was not a 9700pro killer.. though he did mention that the card WAS faster (raw benches do show this to be the case... AA and FSAA tests show otherwise but raw BASE benches show the gf FX to have slightly higher performance)...

he said that people considering buying a top end card should wait for either the r350 releasing before april or the nv35 which should be out before the end of summer per his info...

all in all a decent little proggie though I was HIGHLY disappointed there were no demoes or anything else shown using the gf FX... no ut2k3 screens or anything...

kyle DID mention artifacts and immature drivers (or rather drivers not optimized yet :) )

LORD-eX-Bu
02-04-03, 10:36 PM
still more of the same. Kyle hit the nail on the head, GFFX is late, and it isn't a 9700 Pro killer. It still falls behind the 9700 Pro in many cases and it doesn't beat the 9700 Pro in the majority of test like they posted on the screensavers website, so............GeforceFX is still a failure. Nice try nVIDIA :rolleyes:

Solomon
02-05-03, 12:28 AM
Interesting show. I wish they powered it up to show the loudness of the card. Something else to realize. The GeForce FX seems to showcase better on the nForce 2 chipset over a Pentium IV system. Anyone notice this when you compare results from various reviews? Seems that the FX favors the AMD/nForce 2 crowd and the ATi Radeon 9700 Pro seems to faver the Intel/Pentium IV crowd.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

Solomon
02-05-03, 12:30 AM
[eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu,

I'm not sure if you watch The Screen Savers alot, but it does seem the show is more Nvidia sided then any other vendor. When you got the Lan party powered by Nvidia as well as when people call, Patrick and Leo always seem to recommend a Nvidia card all the time.

From watching that show for a couple of months. It seems that they are a little on the promoting Nvidia side. What's funny is that all their desktop IBM's they stand next too have been replaced by MAC's. :eek:

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

LORD-eX-Bu
02-05-03, 12:33 AM
I've noticed that too. Maybe they get stuff for promoting nVIDIA. Oh well, if I would get stuff too I'd do the same ;) I used to watch the show regularly, eh, now, I don't really like it anymore, its boring;)

Kruno
02-05-03, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Solomon
[eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu,

I'm not sure if you watch The Screen Savers alot, but it does seem the show is more Nvidia sided then any other vendor. When you got the Lan party powered by Nvidia as well as when people call, Patrick and Leo always seem to recommend a Nvidia card all the time.

From watching that show for a couple of months. It seems that they are a little on the promoting Nvidia side. What's funny is that all their desktop IBM's they stand next too have been replaced by MAC's. :eek:

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

I knew it, you are Typedef Enum, so that means you are also John Reynolds. :p ;) :D

Question: I know what tech TV is about, I don't live in the USA, so how can I watch it? We aussies are like 50 years back in time with technology. ;)

Oh wait, you download the videos. :doh:

Hellbinder
02-05-03, 12:48 AM
It honestly really bothers me that people like kyle on TechTV keep saying that the GFFX is faster than the 9700pro.

Which imo is completel BUNK when the IQ's are matched. Virtually no one buys one of these cards to run without FSAA+AF. The second you run the GFFX at a level as closely comparable as possible like 6xs Vs 4x FSAA (which is still VERY questionable imo). The GFFX goes down by an average of 30 FPS.

so, no I dont think its very fair that Nvidia is getting to wave the magic *we win* flag. not at all.

Kruno
02-05-03, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
It honestly really bothers me that people like kyle on TechTV keep saying that the GFFX is faster than the 9700pro.

Which imo is completel BUNK when the IQ's are matched. Virtually no one buys one of these cards to run without FSAA+AF. The second you run the GFFX at a level as closely comparable as possible like 6xs Vs 4x FSAA (which is still VERY questionable imo). The GFFX goes down by an average of 30 FPS.

so, no I dont think its very fair that Nvidia is getting to wave the magic *we win* flag. not at all.

Maybe Kyle dislikes AF AND FSAA? ;)
If that would happen to be true then I guess you could say that the NV30 is for him.

Hellbinder
02-05-03, 12:58 AM
Having made my above statement, it is also clear that the Nv30 is much faster in AF in most situations due to their clock speed...
However, the min you pair them tofether at comparable levels the GFFx STILL goes down by like 20 or more.

Having said all that, becuase Nv30 wins a lot of the raw scores..

Dont you think that overall you would HAVE to consider them an Virtual TIE depending on what you are looking for? with the edge going to the 9700pro due to its more elegant design?

Unless you are a stickler for AA IQ that is... ;)

Sazar
02-05-03, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Having made my above statement, it is also clear that the Nv30 is much faster in AF in most situations due to their clock speed...
However, the min you pair them tofether at comparable levels the GFFx STILL goes down by like 20 or more.

Having said all that, becuase Nv30 wins a lot of the raw scores..

Dont you think that overall you would HAVE to consider them an Virtual TIE depending on what you are looking for? with the edge going to the 9700pro due to its more elegant design?

Unless you are a stickler for AA IQ that is... ;)

I understand what you mean about the speed... BUT kyle went out of his way to say that the cards were basically identical when it came to benchmarking in real game situations...

it is pretty much a given that the gf FX is no slouch... it gets more press for being a limp noodle though :) and that is not really unwarranted... I am sure nvidia are trying to douse the flames on a 'product' who pr fuel they provided...

kyle unfortunately will base his opinions on what he thinks most people will use... thats HIS perogative... all in all I do think he did bash on the nv30 quite a bit... NO mention whatsoever of the lesser clocked version of the 5800...

I was disappointed that they were unable to show any ingame shots :( I was really looking forward to that...

clock per clock there is no competition... the 9700pro wins by a football field length :)

still... r400 and other iterations v/s nv35/40 should be an interesting battle :)

Solomon
02-05-03, 09:12 AM
I'm just curious if Mr. Bennet would run the GeForce FX and the ATi Radeon 9700 Pro on a Intel based system and form a conclusion based off of running on both platfoms. I don't know about all of you, I come off reading these reviews about the GeForce FX as mixed results.

You have anandtechs review which shows the FX on par or below that of the ATi Radeon 9700 Pro. Then you see Mr. Bennet's review and you come off thinking the FX is faster then the ATi Radeon Pro. But when you look at their test systems you see that one is based on a Intel platform while the other is based on the AMD platform.

I'm just curious if Kyle didn't run the card on an AMD platform if his conclusions and judgements about the card would change. Because the Intel platform doesn't make the FX shine as much over the ATi Radeon 9700 Pro then the AMD platform does.

Or did Nvidia tell them to use the nForce 2 platform? Hmmmmmmm. Questions, Questions, Questions... :D :D

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com