PDA

View Full Version : Problems with mixed vendor SLI

synikyl
06-09-06, 11:10 PM
I have a 6800GT from BFG and ASUS and am having trouble enabling SLi. After a fresh install of XP with all drivers updated, I tried to enable SLI through the nvidia CP but it would crash and reboot without even a BSOD. I tried putting the BFG card in the first slot and it would enable, but every time I tried to access the CP, it would crash. Since I bought my BFG card a year before, I figured it could be a bios issue...but bfg's worthless tech support said that they wouldn't do it and couldn't help me.

I really don't know what else to do. Can anyone help me?

System Specs:

amd 3500+
msi k8n neo4 platinum sli
corsair tccd
ocz modstream 500
winxp sp2

jAkUp
06-09-06, 11:13 PM
You could always flash the Asus card to the BFG BIOS.

synikyl
06-09-06, 11:16 PM
where can i find a bfg bios?

shungokusatsu
06-10-06, 12:50 AM
Check the models make sure the speeds are the exact same, also make sure the cards are listed as SLI capable. Also keep in mind that if you flash the bios it will void the warrenty on the card.

synikyl
06-10-06, 04:40 AM
the bfg runs at 370/500 and the asus runs at 350/500 and are both sli capable 4sure. when the bfg is in the first slot, sli will enable, but when the asus is first, it wont enable, even if i overclock it to 370 first. but either way i cant get to the nvidia cp :(

i googled nvidia bios flashing and it pulled up mvktech.net. it looks pretty reputable and the info seems to be reliable. can anyone tell me the probability of failure for a video card bios flash? is it any different than flashing a mobo?

btw shung i hate you and your system :D

Digital_Trans
06-10-06, 01:29 PM
the bfg runs at 370/500 and the asus runs at 350/500 and are both sli capable 4sure. when the bfg is in the first slot, sli will enable, but when the asus is first, it wont enable, even if i overclock it to 370 first. but either way i cant get to the nvidia cp :(

i googled nvidia bios flashing and it pulled up mvktech.net. it looks pretty reputable and the info seems to be reliable. can anyone tell me the probability of failure for a video card bios flash? is it any different than flashing a mobo?

btw shung i hate you and your system :D

I personally have great success in flashing my video cards. I remeber back when I use to own a PNY 6800 Ultra x8 AGP 256MB-GDDR3 Graphics Card I'd flash it over and over. That one card had been flashed over 20 times and never failed me once. I'd flash it with BFG OC bios or the eVGA Extreme Edition bios. Infact, I even sold the card for $485.00 when I upgraded! that's how smooth I am. (nana2) The only thing I'd suggest is that you know what your doing when flashing your video card or motherboard. Often it's the end-user mentality that can get the best of one's video card and motherboard. So on a final note, do your research and ask alot of questions! :D

-Knowledge is power! Knowing is have the battle.

shungokusatsu
06-10-06, 05:35 PM
The only ting I can really suggest is to make sure you have the latest bios and drivers for your system. If you do, flash the card as a last resort. Sounds like the Asus card might have a problem, doesn't matter which slot it goes in, it should work.