PDA

View Full Version : Could it be ?

takovr
06-10-06, 03:15 PM
I have a xfx 7900 gt video card that was causing video problems with my computer. I RMA'd it for another one but it is giving me the same problem I was wondering if it could be my power suppy not putting out enough power.
Here is my set-up Athlonxp 3500 wd 10,00rpm hd, wd 7200rpm hd, sony dvd
burner, sony cd recorder, asus sli premium motherboard, 2 gigs memory. My power supply is a Thermeltake 480 watt ps ( It is about 2 years old) It has 2 fans on it, one for colling the ps and not sure what the other fan does maybe
cools the cpu. I know this is long winded but Im getting ready to rma my 3rd xfx7900gt video card. Is it the card or not enough power. ?

fasedww
06-10-06, 03:23 PM
I have a xfx 7900 gt video card that was causing video problems with my computer. I RMA'd it for another one but it is giving me the same problem I was wondering if it could be my power suppy not putting out enough power.
Here is my set-up Athlonxp 3500 wd 10,00rpm hd, wd 7200rpm hd, sony dvd
burner, sony cd recorder, asus sli premium motherboard, 2 gigs memory. My power supply is a Thermeltake 480 watt ps ( It is about 2 years old) It has 2 fans on it, one for colling the ps and not sure what the other fan does maybe
cools the cpu. I know this is long winded but Im getting ready to rma my 3rd xfx7900gt video card. Is it the card or not enough power. ?Probally power supply, get a good power supply with at least 34 amp 12 volt rail. like antec, pcpc 500 watt, lots of others too.

saturnotaku
06-10-06, 04:21 PM
Probally power supply, get a good power supply with at least 34 amp 12 volt rail. like antec, pcpc 500 watt, lots of others too.

If you have only one video card and don't plan on getting a second anytime soon, a PSU with 28A on the +12v will do fine. My 7900GTX runs on a 500W Ultra with this rating and it runs perfectly stable 24/7.

shungokusatsu
06-10-06, 04:25 PM
Could be anything, that cpu is really outdatted and could be bottlenecking the system. It could be power, but many users are even able to run 4 video csrds off a 480 psu. I think that psu is more then enough power for your system. Make sure your mboard bios are up to date as well as all other system drivers.

grey_1
06-10-06, 04:29 PM
Exactly what kind of problems? Artifacting, crashes? Know any one with a psu laying around you could try? Before you go throught that hassle again?

fasedww
06-10-06, 06:36 PM
Could be anything, that cpu is really outdatted and could be bottlenecking the system. It could be power, but many users are even able to run 4 video csrds off a 480 psu. I think that psu is more then enough power for your system. Make sure your mboard bios are up to date as well as all other system drivers.I looked at newegg and the thermaltake 480 silent power supply has 18 amps on the 12 volt rail', I would get a much more powerful power supply. = peace of mind.:)

takovr
06-10-06, 08:59 PM
Thx for all the help, I will look into getting another power supply. I can't believe that my second video card is bad, but I have been reading alot about the 7900gt cards crashing and texture problems...

Tuork
06-10-06, 09:07 PM
Hmmm... I have that same power supply, and lately I've been having a number of crashes in games... lemme know what new PSU you get :)

SH64
06-10-06, 09:23 PM
Exactly what kind of problems? Artifacting, crashes? Know any one with a psu laying around you could try? Before you go throught that hassle again?
QFT.

john19055
06-11-06, 06:47 AM
It is very possable that your power supply is causeing your problems ,I would get a bigger power supply that puts out more amps on the 12v rail before I would rma. it.

grey_1
06-11-06, 01:17 PM
It is very possable that your power supply is causeing your problems ,I would get a bigger power supply that puts out more amps on the 12v rail before I would rma. it.

That, or it could be related to this -
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70738

EDIT: Heck, that's just GTX's isn't it?

shungokusatsu
06-11-06, 02:15 PM
That, or it could be related to this -
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70738

EDIT: Heck, that's just GTX's isn't it?

No it's all the 7900's, and I think it's his psu not meeting the ampage.