PDA

View Full Version : New DVI connector?

Tuork
06-11-06, 01:27 AM
I just bought a cheap-o MSI FX5200 AGP for my parents' computer (they finally have a decent motherboard!) and I noticed that the DVI connector it comes with varies slightly from the one my 6800GT has (and any other DVI connector I've ever seen, for that matter).

(I'd post a picture, but it's late and I'd have to walk to the other room, and I really don't feel like it. Will post tomorrow if I can).

In any case, it's missing 4 holes, the ones that go above and below the horizontal hole.

Does anyone know anything about this?
The place I bought it at told me that it's a new type of DVI connector, and I have confirmed that this is not a manufacturing error.

:o

Absolution
06-11-06, 02:55 AM
I just bought a cheap-o MSI FX5200 AGP for my parents' computer (they finally have a decent motherboard!) and I noticed that the DVI connector it comes with varies slightly from the one my 6800GT has (and any other DVI connector I've ever seen, for that matter).

(I'd post a picture, but it's late and I'd have to walk to the other room, and I really don't feel like it. Will post tomorrow if I can).

In any case, it's missing 4 holes, the ones that go above and below the horizontal hole.

Does anyone know anything about this?
The place I bought it at told me that it's a new type of DVI connector, and I have confirmed that this is not a manufacturing error.

:o
on the left? i think thats a version of DVI that doesn't cary the analog signal, DVI-I i think apposed to DVI-D

Starscream
06-11-06, 12:14 PM
I think you mean dvi-d

http://www.atmarkit.co.jp/fsys/cableconnect/05disp_video/03dvi_d-box-l.jpg

That plug is just as old as DVI-I if not older btw. I have a radeon 9100 kicking around somewhere with that.

Tuork
06-11-06, 06:47 PM
I think you mean dvi-d

http://www.atmarkit.co.jp/fsys/cableconnect/05disp_video/03dvi_d-box-l.jpg

That plug is just as old as DVI-I if not older btw. I have a radeon 9100 kicking around somewhere with that.

YUP!
That's it!

So, correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't carry the analogue signal?

Rakeesh
06-11-06, 08:48 PM
DVI-I, DVI-A, and DVI-D were all made at the same time. Most card manufacturers use DVI-I since its both digital and analog, and most people have analog monitors. I am not sure what the purpose of DVI-A is, as there is already analog RGB which is perfectly pin compatible. Eventually when analog monitors disappear from the market they'll all be DVI-D.