PDA

View Full Version : Seagate 7200.10 Drive Reliability

CaptNKILL
06-11-06, 12:43 PM
Ok first of all, did anyone else pick up one of these new drives? They are the "Perpendicular Recording" drives that just came out about a month ago.

Well, my friend purchased a 320gb the day it was available, then I went and got one myself the next day.

Last week, his drive started causing problems and its now dead.

I decided today that I better use EasyRecovery Pro to do some extensive drive tests to make sure mine is ok.

I've had the test running for about 15 minutes now and I've got this in the log so far:

Running Full Diagnostic Test...
Testing drive ST3320620AS...
I/O Error on sector 38894111.
I/O Error on sector 41616831.
I/O Error on sector 43097199.

What the hell is going on here? I've been a huge Seagate fan for a LONG time. If these drives are shoddy, Im going to be PISSED.

Im not saying they are or they arent, but I'm curious about how these drives are treating other people. Also, if you know what exactly those I\O errors could mean (whether its a software thing or a physical problem), I'd love to know. Im sure easy recovery pro will fix it if its fixable, but I need to know what Im dealing with here.

CaptNKILL
06-11-06, 02:02 PM
Here are the final results:

Running Full Diagnostic Test...
Testing drive ST3320620AS...
I/O Error on sector 38894111.
I/O Error on sector 41616831.
I/O Error on sector 43097199.

Test Results:
Model: ST3320620AS
Capacity: 298.09 GB
Full Diagnostic Test: Passed.

Recommendations:
Full Diagnostic Test for drive ST3320620AS passed with minor errors, unreadable sectors exist on the drive. If you ARE experiencing a data loss situation, contact Technical Support or Data Recovery Services at 1-800-872-2599. If you ARE NOT in a data loss situation, it is recommended you backup your data, reformat the hard drive, then restore your data. Always verify your backup of the data before reformatting your hard drive.

I did ghost this data over from my previous drive to avoid having to reinstall windows. Do you think thats related?

EDIT: Do you guys think a thorough disk check in Windows set to automatically fix errors can take care of something like this?

EDIT2: Did a thorough scan on the 2 partitions that EasyRecovery found errors on... Windows scandisk didnt find anything at all.

Speedfan shows 94% health and 94% performance on the drive.

*shrug*

CaptNKILL
06-12-06, 09:53 AM
Well, just FYI (For anyone who's reading :p), I read around a bit and it sounds like most drives do have bad sectors when they are made and the drive simply makes note of them and ignores them.

So this is probably nothing to worry about. I'll check it often though to make sure it isnt getting worse.

Riptide
06-12-06, 09:56 AM
Just send your drive to me. I'll test it. :)

CaptNKILL
06-12-06, 10:10 AM
Just send your drive to me. I'll test it. :)
Ya ok! :wonder:

EDIT: BTW, Seagate is starting to worry me. One of our recent builds for a customer just had their Seagate 7200.9 go to crap. :|

Riptide
06-12-06, 10:42 AM
Didn't Seagate just buy out Maxtor?

Yikes.

CaptNKILL
06-12-06, 10:45 AM
Didn't Seagate just buy out Maxtor?

Yikes.
Yeah, I've never seen many Seagate drives have problems over the years, this is all a big surprise to me. Usually its Western Digital drives that are dieing left and right. I guess its all chance. Seagate still has 5 year warranties though, so they win :p

Riptide
06-12-06, 10:52 AM
I've had good luck with Seagate and Western Digital. Been using WD for years now. My first drive was the old warhorse Seagate ST-225. Now THAT was a classic. :)

CaptNKILL
06-12-06, 11:16 AM
I've had good luck with Seagate and Western Digital. Been using WD for years now. My first drive was the old warhorse Seagate ST-225. Now THAT was a classic. :)
That model number sounds familiar. We had a 500Mb Seagate drive from 95 to probably 2000. That thing got a lot of work, but the thing that killed it was a crappy power plug that stuck in it. When my brother unhooked it, it ripped the connector right out of the drive. Poor thing :p

Riptide
06-12-06, 11:17 AM
The ST-225 is a true old school drive. 20 megabytes. MFM. 65ms seek time.

Built like a tank.

CaptNKILL
06-12-06, 11:23 AM
The ST-225 is a true old school drive. 20 megabytes. MFM. 65ms seek time.

Built like a tank.
:lol:

65ms

I have an old 40Mb Seagate drive somewhere. Doesnt work any more, but its crazy looking. Its probably just like yours, its twice the height of a normal 3 1\4" drive.

I also have a 2gb Quantum Bigfoot thats also dead. That thing lasted from 97 to last year. Pretty impressive for a horribly designed piece of crap :lol:

Riptide
06-12-06, 11:25 AM
http://redhill.net.au/d/d-a.html

CaptNKILL
06-12-06, 11:35 AM
http://redhill.net.au/d/d-a.html
Holy crap, I had no idea those were that old. I figured at the oldest they were from 1990.

I think the 45mb drive I have is like the big one in the back in the second pic on that page.

Riptide
06-12-06, 11:42 AM
That site is pretty cool if you have time to look through it. And yeah some of those drives are ANCIENT. Amazing how time flies. I had at least two of those ST225's. You know, about 20 years ago. :eek:

CaptNKILL
06-12-06, 11:45 AM
That site is pretty cool if you have time to look through it. And yeah some of those drives are ANCIENT. Amazing how time flies. I had at least two of those ST225's. You know, about 20 years ago. :eek:
Yeah its hard to believe, all the crap we go through now to upgrade every few months while some people still own and USE crap from the late 80s. Its insane.

If you like that site, you'll probably love this one:
http://www.cpushack.net/chippics/

They have just about everything on there... well, except for new CPUs :p

Rakeesh
06-12-06, 01:28 PM
Well, just FYI (For anyone who's reading :p), I read around a bit and it sounds like most drives do have bad sectors when they are made and the drive simply makes note of them and ignores them.

So this is probably nothing to worry about. I'll check it often though to make sure it isnt getting worse.

Well, not exactly. When they make the platters, the manufacturing process isn't perfect, so naturally some areas of the disk aren't going to be capable of holding data. These are your "bad sectors." When you buy a hard drive, it is really 10%-20% bigger than what it is labeled as. This extra space is hidden from the user.

When the firmware detects a defect, it'll attempt to copy the data out of that area and move it over to the hidden area, and then from that point forward all reads and writes that previously went to the defective area will now be done in the hidden area.

When the data can't be read, I am not sure about the exact mechanism behind this, but when you do a low level format of the drive the firmware will detect this, and add new pointers in its memory to relocate those bad sector locations to the good ones, and thus you'll effectively "remove" that bad sector.

Ristogod
06-12-06, 01:44 PM
Yes, if I'm not mistaken, most drive have errors on the platter and those areas of the drives are simply mapped to not be used.

Perpendicular recording is new though and will probably suffer the most faults in its infancy.

CaptNKILL
06-13-06, 04:52 PM
Speedfan is now reporting 92% health and performance :|

Does anyone know if this decrease in score is normal?

EDIT: Ok, I defragged and its back up to 94%. This is confusing as hell :p