PDA

View Full Version : Why would a resolution not reset properly?

Cosmonaut_Roger
06-11-06, 07:22 PM
First off, hello. I've been reading these forums for a while but never registered to post. I'm a regular poster at Rage3d, but I recently got myself a brand new 7800GTX so I decided it was high time to put my face in here:D

Anyway, this problem of the resolution not resetting properly after playing any game just began a week or two ago. It's very strange and hard to explain. I have all the newest driver for everything in my computer (as far as I know, I did a lot of investigating). The problem occurs like this:
After exiting out of any game (HL2, Rome Total War, GRAW, Oblivion, etc.), the desktop resolution appears to be...wrong. The task bar at the bottom of the XP desktop is gone, you can only see the top millimeter of it. Also, the top of the desktop seems to be stretched out of the top of the monitor, the top half of the icons are cut off. Dragging the taskbar up reveals too much space for the start menu and quick start icons. This is also a strange problem in and of itself, I'll explain:
The quick start icons next to the Start Menu and the running program icons at the bottom right of the task bar are bunched together and in three layers, instead of laid out next to eachother. Also, the clock displays the time, date, and day instead of just the time. But it displays this information in three layers, just like the icons, and it depends on how far I drag the task bar up. So for example, my task bar SHOULD look like this:
(the asterisks represent quickstart icons and running program icons, periods are just placeholders representing space)

START * * * * * ............................................* * * * * * 7:16PM

With this problem I'm having, my task bar looks like this after I've dragged it up so I can see it:

START * * * * ................................................* * * *7:16PM
..........* * * ................................................* * * 06/10/06
.................................................. ......................* * Sunday

Anyone ever encounter this? Also, any open windows (Firefox, IE, folders, etc) appear cut off at the top and bottom, as if they are a few centremeters too big for the screen. I cannot figure out this problem and I was hoping someone here could help me out.

Cosmonaut_Roger
06-12-06, 05:01 PM
Anyone? I hate to bump this up but I'm totally at a loss here and there must be SOMEONE who has experienced this before...

Cosmonaut_Roger
06-21-06, 04:46 PM
This will be my last bump, I promise. I've looked everywhere, and I can't seem to find out what would cause such a simple problem. Anyone have any ideas at least? I'm at the point where i'm open to any suggestions. Once again, the problem is basically:
Resolution is not resetting properly after playing games. The screen and windows tend to be stretched just a bit and the bottom XP task bar is all messd up. It goes back to normal after resetting the resolution manually.

Toss3
06-22-06, 06:01 AM
Have you tried different drivers? I haven't heard anyone else having this problem, so I guess you've got something set up wrongly. I can't really come up with anything that could solve your problem, but try different things in the driver s and maybe enable/disable nView. Hope you get this fixed.. :o and welcome to the forums.