PDA

View Full Version : real testing...where???

Venturi
06-12-06, 08:02 AM
IMHO:
Seriously folks, why has there not been a review with comperative benchmarks across the board???

Let an unbiased 3rd party do the test
Give waited values:
Add the scores up:
declare a winner.

1. benchmark ATI's best card against nvidia's best in OpenGL
2. benchmark ATI's best card against nvidia's best in DirectX
3. benchmark ATI's best card against nvidia's best in Linux
4. benchmark ATI's best card against nvidia's best in 64-bit windows
5. benchmark ATI's best card against nvidia's best in 64-bit linux
6. benchmark ATI's best card against nvidia's best in Win 32.
7. benchmark ATI's best card against nvidia's best in Single core
8. benchmark ATI's best card against nvidia's best in dual core intel and Opteron
9. benchmark ATI's best card against nvidia's best in Quad core intel and Quad Opteron
10. benchmark ATI's best card against nvidia's best in Crossfire and SLI and Quad SLI

All eye candy on and at huge resolutions

If the card can't perform the test or lacks driver support it gets a "zero" on that particular test.

Let an unbiased 3rd party do the test
Give waited values:
Add the scores up:
declare a winner.

Why can't we have real benching and real results ???

Annihlist
06-13-06, 01:02 AM
I suppose most people these days run Win32. So a lot of people may not be interested in other operating systems. They minority are regularly overlooked :). Same goes with servers and so forth.

hawkeyefan
06-13-06, 02:14 AM
well the difference in benching XP/XP x64/Vista x86/Vista x64 is going to be virtually or absolutely zilch, so that's pointless. (I got an 18 point boost in Vista x64 on 3DM05, fwtw).

next up, Opterons are technically not desktop CPUs, they're server CPUs, so that comparison isn't really fair unless you want to run them up against Xeons or Itaniums, and I imagine we all have a pretty good idea already how that would turn out. On the other hand, Opties are just A64s with better silicon. also pointless.

Linux= if I don't have the patience for it, then 99.99% of ATI/nVidia's potential customer base likely doesn't even know what it is. Most people using Linux are turning the cards into Quadros anyway. Pointless.

Intel P4 rigs are bottlenecked to holy heck so whether dual or single-core, obviously the (available) AMDs are going to trounce them up and down the line. We all know how badly current AMD destroy current Intel in 3Dapps. Again, pointless.

so basically you wind up right back where the benchies have been running all along. ATI vs. nVidia on (nearly) identical systems.

the only caveat here is that you obviously can't run CrossFire and SLI on the same mobo/chipset, so really it's almost apples to oranges no matter which way you cut it. plus, but the time you starting cranking up AA/AF and so on...you become stictly GPU limited. Which is why @ 1600x1200, AM2 is leading Conroe in benchmarks.

all imho fwiw;)

a12ctic
06-13-06, 08:11 AM
most people using linux are using quadros? hah ya right, the linux community is not using quadros, most of us are using 6 series nv cards or older. but on the other hand all that benchmarking would be a waste, theres seperate sites that benchmark all the different stuff

hawkeyefan
06-13-06, 01:24 PM
most people using linux are using quadros? hah ya right, the linux community is not using quadros, most of us are using 6 series nv cards or older. but on the other hand all that benchmarking would be a waste, theres seperate sites that benchmark all the different stuff

thanks for the correction re: Quadros

guess I have seen so many threads re: NVStrap and Linux i made a poor assumption lolz