PDA

View Full Version : Future looking motherboards and memory for INTEL and AMD?

Nv40
06-12-06, 07:29 PM
Im looking to buy a new motherboard ,CPU and RAm.,most likely it will be PCi-express unless someone shows me something really good in AGP for a good price. Im not interested in overclocking ,tweaking ,optimizing or any fancy feature .when you have plans to leave your machine ON 365days/24hours ,a cooler machine is more important .neither in SLI or Quad for gpus , but single or dual slots cpus are welcome .The aplications i use , needs lots OF RAM ,and lots of cpu power. the more ,the better ,so i was looking to start with 2-3GB and later add more. have heard that the majority of motherboards are very unstable after 2GB of ram even when its supports more . so the experience of people with lots of memory is more than welcome.

in the CPU side Conroe looks really nice ,but not sure about if their prices will be competitive enough ,once AMD lowers their prices.. However AMD historically always offers better price/performance . Socket 939 or AM2 which one? not interested in memory "performance" for overclocking ,i have no problems trading "quality" for quantity at least with memory. never had problems with cheap memory in the past. but compatibility with future CPUS from AMD and INTEL is a MUST!!. in short im looking to upgrade for a M/B and memory combo for CG graphics animations first and gaming second that will allow me to easily upgrade later to anything new if i wanted to faster processors without changing my whole computer ,the motherboard or the memory.

Since im not clear with Intel or AMD until i see their prices once conroe hits the market . will like to know your comments about future looking motherboards for Intel/AMD and if there is something closer to "universal memory". that will work with next generation from Intel and AMD processors. the last thing i want is to buy 4GB of memory that arent compatible with next generation CPus.

Rytr
06-12-06, 08:05 PM
Think it's a good idea to wait till Conroe comes out and see what it is all about along with evaluating the Nvidia 590. Both will be using DDR2 ram which in my Intel system has shown very good stability. If AMD has a competitive price drop on X2 CPUs there may be some really good performance options especially with the good selection of 939 motherboards and DDR ram's current pricing.

ViN86
06-12-06, 11:15 PM
Im looking to buy a new motherboard ,CPU and RAm.,most likely it will be PCi-express unless someone shows me something really good in AGP for a good price. Im not interested in overclocking ,tweaking ,optimizing or any fancy feature .when you have plans to leave your machine ON 365days/24hours ,a cooler machine is more important .neither in SLI or Quad for gpus , but single or dual slots cpus are welcome .The aplications i use , needs lots OF RAM ,and lots of cpu power. the more ,the better ,so i was looking to start with 2-3GB and later add more. have heard that the majority of motherboards are very unstable after 2GB of ram even when its supports more . so the experience of people with lots of memory is more than welcome.

in the CPU side Conroe looks really nice ,but not sure about if their prices will be competitive enough ,once AMD lowers their prices.. However AMD historically always offers better price/performance . Socket 939 or AM2 which one? not interested in memory "performance" for overclocking ,i have no problems trading "quality" for quantity at least with memory. never had problems with cheap memory in the past. but compatibility with future CPUS from AMD and INTEL is a MUST!!. in short im looking to upgrade for a M/B and memory combo for CG graphics animations first and gaming second that will allow me to easily upgrade later to anything new if i wanted to faster processors without changing my whole computer ,the motherboard or the memory.

Since im not clear with Intel or AMD until i see their prices once conroe hits the market . will like to know your comments about future looking motherboards for Intel/AMD and if there is something closer to "universal memory". that will work with next generation from Intel and AMD processors. the last thing i want is to buy 4GB of memory that arent compatible with next generation CPus.
seems like DDR2-800 is the safest bet with memory atm. its the AM2's default speed and it offers a good deal of bandwidth for the Intel chips as well.

of course the DDR2-1066 will outperform it, but who wants to spend that much? :p

Nv40
06-13-06, 04:18 AM
Will slower DDR2 memory work with Conroe processors ?
DDR2 800 cost about 2x times of "slower" memory ,even though the fastest one doesnt make a diference in practice in latest reviews with gaming.