PDA

View Full Version : gaming: Athlon X2 Am2 socket

robertonumeruno
06-13-06, 12:45 AM
what is the significance of the AM2 socket as oppossed to regular dual core? there is about a $100 price difference in the AMD Athlon X2 4400+.

supra
06-13-06, 12:50 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2688

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2762&p=1

Tuork
06-14-06, 03:34 PM
Ah... great read. Thanks. Kinda solves a couple of doubts I had.

Mr_LoL
06-15-06, 01:19 AM
Are they any reviews for the AM2 processors yet? Thing is they are already for sale and I havent found any retail processor reviews.

"Edit" ** Ok found some**

a12ctic
06-15-06, 11:42 AM
am2 is more of just a refresher imo.

john19055
06-17-06, 04:11 AM
If I was AMD I would'nt have wasted the time with the AM2 ,I would have been looking to build a better CPU,that had real performance gains.

Son Goku
06-17-06, 05:03 AM
At this point, and as an Athlon 64 owner, I really just do not see any reason to consider an upgrade to AM2. Conroe? Yes, possibly, but AM2... Meh, a socket 939 X2 would be OK if I decide to go that route.

But having to get a whole new proc, mobo, and well video card in my case (I've got an older AGP card) all in one upgrade... Meh, just haven't seen indication that it would be enough of an upgrade to warrant a whole new system... Also, doesn't it use DDR2 or something? I might need to check more on that one, but all new memory on top... Not worth it in my view, unless the perf difference is more then marginal...

jAkUp
06-17-06, 10:23 AM
Yea AM2 is a joke. They could have done so much more, they should have not even wasted their time.

The performance increase of moving to DDR2 is so tiny it is not even worth it.

4x4 is kinda interesting, but what kinda games will take advantage of quad cores??? Crysis. And thats it. lol

Marvel_us
06-17-06, 10:46 AM
What about UT07? Other than that, yea not many.

Dazz
06-18-06, 07:13 PM
AMD processors don't take the advanatge of DDR2 due to high latency. AMD did this to put DDR2 mainstream.

a12ctic
06-18-06, 10:13 PM
am2 is a refresher chip, if its a disapointment, then so was s939, really all that it is a socket change to get a few new features...

Stevedroid
06-18-06, 11:35 PM
Yea AM2 is a joke. They could have done so much more, they should have not even wasted their time.

I don't think AMD ever promissed this to be a performance revolution and they haven't gone all out marketing it as such. As mentioned above this is just meant to get a DDR2 platform available as that standard becomes more common.

Problem is that DDR2 800 memory running at a CAS latency of 4 (which is the most prevalent for that speed) performs roughly the same DDR 400 with a CAS latency of 2. Double the speed, but also double the latency and you end up with pretty much the same performance.

However, CAS 3 DDR2 800 modules are just starting to appear on the market, and if by some miracle they get those modules down to CAS 2 we should see definitely some improvement over a CAS 2 DDR 400 system.

coldpower27
06-18-06, 11:41 PM
I don't think AMD ever promissed this to be a performance revolution and they haven't gone all out marketing it as such. As mentioned above this is just meant to get a DDR2 platform available as that standard becomes more common.

Problem is that DDR2 800 memory running at a CAS latency of 4 (which is the most prevalent for that speed) performs roughly the same DDR 400 with a CAS latency of 2. Double the speed, but also double the latency and you end up with pretty much the same performance.

However, CAS 3 DDR2 800 modules are just starting to appear on the market, and if by some miracle they get those modules down to CAS 2 we should see definitely some improvement over a CAS 2 DDR 400 system.

3-2-2-x seems to be the limit for DDR2 memory. DDR2-800 is still an enthusiast grade of memory were only starting to see it become mainstream now with the 965 Series of chipsets from Intel and Socket AM2 from AMD.

Most DDR2-800 is still 5-5-5, while 4-4-4 is better with a mild premium in price, 3-4-3-9 stuff that Corsair uses costs quite the arm and the leg.

Tuork
06-19-06, 01:17 AM
Quick question, and one that I have wondered for some time: What exactly do the numbers on the RAM mean? By that I mean the timings, I think.

More so, what is CAS Latency, and what does the "CAS" stand for? As far as I can tell, it's a measure on how fast data can be writen/read from the chip. Right/wrong?

CaptNKILL
06-19-06, 01:20 AM
Quick question, and one that I have wondered for some time: What exactly do the numbers on the RAM mean? By that I mean the timings, I think.

More so, what is CAS Latency, and what does the "CAS" stand for? As far as I can tell, it's a measure on how fast data can be writen/read from the chip. Right/wrong?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_latency
Theres a wiki article for everything :)

K007
06-19-06, 03:25 AM
The difference between FX and non FX in some of those game results is pretty impressive tho..pretty big fps boost from the fx...didnt really expect to see such a difference ><

Tuork
06-19-06, 03:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_latency
Theres a wiki article for everything :)

Aye, aye, Captn!

jAkUp
06-28-06, 01:12 AM
am2 is a refresher chip, if its a disapointment, then so was s939, really all that it is a socket change to get a few new features...

939 had much more needed features than AM2.

I guess you guys are right that AM2 is just to get a DDR2 platform out there, but meh, I expected a little more. I guess I am just really impressed with Conroe and expected AMD to strike back at it. K8L is still a ways away...

Sure DDR2 memory will be valuable IF they are able to get the timings to reasonable levels, but right now... meh.

Daneel Olivaw
06-28-06, 06:10 AM
939 had much more needed features than AM2.

I guess you guys are right that AM2 is just to get a DDR2 platform out there, but meh, I expected a little more. I guess I am just really impressed with Conroe and expected AMD to strike back at it. K8L is still a ways away...

Sure DDR2 memory will be valuable IF they are able to get the timings to reasonable levels, but right now... meh.I like the fact that AMD is making Semprons more available for AM2 than they did for s939, makes for an easier upgrade path. Lack of Semprons on s939 made me buy my s754+PCIe, which I don't regret for a second since it was so cheap.

Riptide
06-28-06, 09:01 AM
AM2 is totally underwhelming. I'm sticking w/939 for another year at least.

Mr_LoL
06-28-06, 10:41 AM
I know its pretty pointless IMO. Dont really know why the even bothered releasing it. The worst thing about it is the prices especially when compared to their conroe equivalents.

a12ctic
06-28-06, 11:33 AM
they realeased it because its gona help their dell sales due to cooler parts and lower watt consumption.

jAkUp
06-28-06, 02:14 PM
they realeased it because its gona help their dell sales due to cooler parts and lower watt consumption.

AM2's are power hogs compared to the 65nm Conroe.

ViN86
06-28-06, 06:23 PM

4x4 is kinda interesting, but what kinda games will take advantage of quad cores??? Crysis. And thats it. lol
unless reverse hyperthreading takes hold and it works well. that would make it an incredbile chip. however, seems intel is working on its own reverse hyperthreading, so that could mean nothing for am2.

xht on conroe > xht on am2
i assume at least ;)