PDA

View Full Version : Isn't This A Shame?

six_storm
06-13-06, 01:17 AM
I know that I'm going to get flamed for this but I think this is a shame:

http://www.geocities.com/whathedidforus/screenshot.jpg

I was at work earlier tonight and I found the usual Dell Business catalog that they send out every once in a while. To my surprise, they had a section about "All Dell PCs are Vista Capable". At first, I was like whatever but I got to thinking, "Wow, that's almost scaring people . . ." If I was an average computer user and was in the market to buy a PC, that would literally scare me.

"Well, I guess I need to buy this big, beefy machine just so I can have Vista and be secure! Honey, I wonder if Vista runs McAfee anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-n00b, anti-blu-screen, anti-hack, anti-spam, anti-identity theft, anti-grand theft auto . . . . . ?" Does anybody see where I'm coming from or even agree with me? Does Vista really need that much of a machine to run an OS? Geez M$.

I know most of you guys are freaking out because this is a anti-Windows thread (OMG WTF!11!!) but seriously . . . come on. I would insert a Mac fact right about here, but it's unnecessary since none of you guys care. I feel for anybody that reads that and questions their purchase. This is a SHAME. Bad M$, BAD!

grey_1
06-13-06, 03:53 AM
"Well, I guess I need to buy this big, beefy machine just so I can have Vista and be secure! Honey, I wonder if Vista runs McAfee anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-n00b, anti-blu-screen, anti-hack, anti-spam, anti-identity theft, anti-grand theft auto . . . . . ?" Does anybody see where I'm coming from or even agree with me? Does Vista really need that much of a machine to run an OS? Geez M$.

Nope, don't agree with ya:) $500 for a decent rig, going with the 1 you circled btw, is not a bad deal at all. Couple that with the fact that It's a Dell ad, not a windows ad, and the folks I know who have them get great customer support and have some fine running rigs.

And don't forget it's the fine, upstanding young anti-MS folks who are writing the malware that's pretty easy to avoid with a bit of common sense. Doesn't say much for your anti-MS peers, does it?

watever
06-13-06, 04:11 AM
thats just good advertising on dell's part. Its a great selling point for their PCs for people who know very little about PCs.

radekhulan
06-13-06, 04:25 AM
thats just good advertising on dell's part. Its a great selling point for their PCs for people who know very little about PCs.

Exactly, just pure marketing..

PS: I hate Macs, as most people do. And for a good reason, bought 2 of them... They are the worst HW/SW combo on this planet, low performance, huge price, no upgradeability, no SW to run on them.

Riptide
06-13-06, 08:34 AM
Thirded on the marketing point. Who cares if they advertise their PCs as vista capable.

slaWter I like the way you think btw. I don't hate apple or their products either. They have their strong points.

six_storm
06-13-06, 09:36 AM
Hehe, I'm on your side. I love my Macs.

But I also use Windows XP and I'm really looking forward to Vista. I need Windows for gaming. I don't hate Windows or MS, I just prefer Apple and their products.

I don't purely hate Windows either (even though there are times when you are trying to fix it and it just won't budge . . . then you hate it for a while lol) and I do prefer Apple/Mac OSX over it. I'm also not saying that Mac OS X is TEH B3ST EVAR, even though I could put in a little Mac fact in here, like I said before. :D

I guess I'm just trying to say that it's a little scary to see stuff like that. I dunno, maybe it was just a late night rambling but I'm sure I'll start having people ask me "Do I need to sell my current Dell to get a 'Windows Vista Capable PC'?" Omg . . . .

Riptide
06-13-06, 09:44 AM
I guess I'm just trying to say that it's a little scary to see stuff like that. I dunno, maybe it was just a late night rambling but I'm sure I'll start having people ask me "Do I need to sell my current Dell to get a 'Windows Vista Capable PC'?" Omg . . . .
I'm having a difficult time understanding what is so goddawful wrong about that.

six_storm
06-13-06, 10:21 AM
I'm having a difficult time understanding what is so goddawful wrong about that.

You know just as well as I do that you average computer user, especially the ones that know nothing really about a PC, will ask you some pretty dumb questions. So now that those people are looking at Dell and seeing this warning label almost, they will prolly freak out saying "OMG! Honey! I think we need to buy another Dell!!!" It's almost saying "Your PC is not good enough and you have to buy another one. Just because you haven't bought a PC from us (Dell) in two months, your PC sucks and is not Vista capable." What a shame. I think it's ridiculous that Dell has to put out stuff like this.

I'm sure I won't be able to explain myself throughly but like I said, this was just a late night rambling after a 9 hour shift.

einstein_314
06-13-06, 10:32 AM
Another vote for marketing. That's all it is. Marketing. People will see the ad and say "ooh, it's vista compatible" and that's a *huge* selling feature. I'd be willing to bet that half (if not more) of people out there looking at these ads don't have a clue what "vista" is.

Riptide
06-13-06, 10:33 AM
Meh. Odds are they aren't going to be looking at computers unless they are shopping for one. In which case it doesn't really matter. I dunno I just don't see what the big deal is here.

mullet
06-13-06, 10:43 AM
Well what I think is funny is my PC specs in my sig got a big 3, I have worked on dells and I think there totaly crap and im not impressed with the XPS either. I really feel for the consumers that buy a vista machine for 500 bucks I bet it will not have 2GB of ram.