PDA

View Full Version : Have I screwed the pooch? Nforce2 drivers problem

Tsarevna
06-13-06, 02:14 AM
I know this isn't a tech support forum, but if anyone has any comment that would be helpfull to the situation i'd be gratefull.

I've updated graphical drivers before, I installed my own cpu/bios etc before, so, updating the mobo drivers didn't sound that complicated...

I downloaded the nForce_5.10_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe drivers for my nforce2 (an NF7 mobo made by Abit) and had major problems installing them.

I searched the faq/answers (on the nvidia page) for a more detailed explanation of how to install these drivers, but didn't find one. I took the advice of this website and went to add/remove programs and removed all the nvidia drivers except the display drivers and the PCI system management driver. (I didn't remove the pci system management driver because i didn't see it's replacement in the new driver set.)

Windows told me to reboot then reboot again after motherboard settings were detected, but i didn't know if windows would even load unless i had these drivers. So i opened the above .exe file and installed the drivers, which seemed to go ok, then rebooted. I rebooted again before windows loaded. It then asked me if i wanted to start windows normally or in safe mode, or with the last settings i had when windows worked. I said start windows normally, but win xp wouldn't load! it just restarted itself and came back to the message. After trying this a few times i finally started with last working settings and it loaded in a low resolution state. I set the resolution high again on the desktop, but then found my internet connection was lost (the setup is not there anymore) and my network/onboard soundcard were not working. I tried to run the setup.exe in nForceWin2kxp\5.10 folder, (this is the folder the .exe file creates) and it got as far as the install shield wizard prep sceen, and the bar fills up, but then the setup crashes and just disapears off my screen. My OS drive is E:, and I set it to checkdisk and restarted the computer, and tried the setup.exe again, and got an error at the install shield wizard stage. "NVIDIA Windows nForce Drivers .. AN error (-5005: 0x8000ffff) has occurred while running the setup. Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor : NVIDIA corp.

Details:
Error Code: -5005: 0x8000ffff
Error Information:
>Kernel\KernelMedia.cpp (95)
>Kernel\KernelMedia.cpp (95)
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1619)
pAPP:NVIDIA Windows nFOrce Drivers
PVENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
PGUID: EFB7D050-CAD2-11D4-B34D-00105A1C23DD
$9.2.0.429
@Windows XP Service Pack 1 (2500) IE 6.02800.1106

When I open the device manager, certain components are disabled such as the nForce networking controller. It says "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (Code 19).

I did not use system restore before updating the drivers, it seemed like a simple process.

How do i go about installing the nForce2 drivers? Can I install them manually without using the setup.exe? Perhaps by selecting each device in device manager, that doesnt work and clicking the update driver button? (Because the drivers themselves are right in that folder that the .exe file created, i just cant run setup.exe there.)
I could then select the driver folder for each device if i knew which device needed which driver.

Does this sound plausable? I really dont want to reformat and install xp right now, I havn't actually installed an OS before. I'm just starting to get into computers and this is a real bummer. :(
Can't believe I did this.

WimpMiester
06-13-06, 08:23 PM
There is a common problem with the NForce2 drivers and the included IDE driver. Different versions work for different people. Run the setup to install the drivers but uncheck the IDE driver so it's not installed. The last version that worked for me was v2.5 (5.10.2600.412) from the 4.27 package. Try that one if this fixes your problem.