PDA

View Full Version : Unknown device in device manager - help needed...

nippyjun
06-14-06, 11:53 AM
I have a new Asus M2N32 Sli- deluxe mobo. All seems to be working fine but in the device manager there is an unknown device. It says "Code 28" for it.

Is there a utility that can identify what the unknown device is?

There is a microsoft information page on this that tells you how to look in the registry to identify it, but the area in the registry that they say to look in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\PCI"

but i don't have an Enum area to look in as far as i can tell.

OWA
06-14-06, 12:09 PM
I have that on my Asus A8N-SLI Premium board also. I think there is a utility from the install CD that once installed, the unknown device will go away. Maybe the Ai Booster utility? Basically, if I install all the stuff from the CD, I don't have it. If I don't, it shows up. I don't like all the extra stuff being installed so I just leave it as is

Riptide
06-14-06, 01:00 PM
What OWA said. Put the CD in the drive and just do an update driver function from device manager. Let it scan the disc. It might find what it's looking for there.

nippyjun
06-14-06, 03:37 PM
What OWA said. Put the CD in the drive and just do an update driver function from device manager. Let it scan the disc. It might find what it's looking for there.

Unfortunately i've tried that without luck.

I was hoping to find a tool that could identify the device.

Even when i let it use the windows update to find it there is no luck.

ascully
06-17-06, 05:06 AM
Its the ASUS AI Booster utility that needs installing to do this follow these steps

1 - Open device manager and right click on the unknown device choose update driver

2 - Download AI booster from the asus site and unzip to your c drive

3 - choose have disk and navigate to the ai booster you unzipped, inside the folder named ACPI choose WIN2000 and click the inf file located there

4 - driver will install and no more unknown device :)

nippyjun
06-17-06, 12:23 PM
Unfortuantely it doesn't find a driver for the unknown device in the aibooster folder.

ascully
06-17-06, 02:20 PM
Thats really weird cause it does for me , I reformated this week and those steps worked fine

nekrosoft13
06-17-06, 03:58 PM
its called ATK0100 ACPI UTILITY
and yes its on the cd, and there is a new version on asus site

nippyjun
06-18-06, 11:16 AM
its called ATK0100 ACPI UTILITY
and yes its on the cd, and there is a new version on asus site

The mystery has been solved:

I just read a post on the asus forums that this is from the AMD Live option being enabled in the bios. I disabled it and the unknown device is gone. The newest bios has this option... i guess it's for future use since there isn't a driver for it yet.

ascully
06-18-06, 12:56 PM
I am using the very latest beta bios I dont have a AMD live option? What is AMD live anyway?

nippyjun
06-18-06, 07:53 PM
I am using the very latest beta bios I dont have a AMD live option? What is AMD live anyway?
I have the 0501 bios. Are you using those or the 0504's that just came out?

ascully
06-18-06, 08:01 PM
I see I am using another motherboard not the one you are using, sorry for the confusion

doddsy
07-08-06, 08:43 PM
Its the ASUS AI Booster utility that needs installing to do this follow these steps

1 - Open device manager and right click on the unknown device choose update driver

2 - Download AI booster from the asus site and unzip to your c drive

3 - choose have disk and navigate to the ai booster you unzipped, inside the folder named ACPI choose WIN2000 and click the inf file located there

4 - driver will install and no more unknown device :)

thanks ai booster worked for me, although i just ran the setup. no need to browse for the driver.

man thats been buggin me for weeks :)