PDA

View Full Version : I think you guys should have a look at this...

Pages : [1] 2

OrangeBlast
06-14-06, 07:02 PM
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=463606

Take a look, I'd like to hear everyones opinion on this...

jAkUp
06-14-06, 07:06 PM
Everyone knows the G80 is coming in Fall, but that doesn't stop us from getting a kickass card for the summer :)

And that guy is wrong, there will be NO DX10/SM4.0 on WindowsXP.

john19055
06-14-06, 11:34 PM
I don't think Nvidia is in any hurry to get the G80 card out ,because the 7900gt are still selling good and now they got the 7950GX2 and it seems to be selling better then I thought it would ,and it seems a lot of people that have 7900GT is getting a 7950Gx2 instaed of a nother 7900GT which IMO two 7900GT are faster in nearly ever game then the 7950 ,But I do have two 7900GT SS that will run at 675/1875 so it is faster then most 7900GT ,but I keep them stock at 600/1600 ,they are fast enough for me with the games I run ,plus I been though helll just getting a pair of 7900'to even work ,my two 7900GTX EGS lasted about two days before they started messing up and the first 7900Gt KO I got was just DOA,I have fineally got a pair of 7900GT's that WORK , like my two 7800GT did I got my fingers crossed anyway,and back on topic of the G80 I don't look for them untill the end of the year unless ATI comes out with something and makes them speed it up some.But nvidia is sitting pretty good right now ,ATI has a good card but crossfire is a pain in the asss to me and they are loud plus they run hotter then the 7900GT's with the dinky heatsinks.

OrangeBlast
06-14-06, 11:55 PM
agreed.

2 7900GT SS cards in SLI are a bit faster than 1 single 7950. But by only a frame or 2.

I will be happy with the GX2 becuase i'm only paying 270 more instead of having to pay another 350 for another SS card. I will be happy with my GX2. Can't wait!

Digital_Trans
06-15-06, 12:15 AM
BFG said that the 7900 GTX would support DirectX 10. Just not pixel shader 4.0 Wish I knew for the record...... :(

jAkUp
06-15-06, 01:46 AM
LMAO, they said the 7900GTX will support DX10??

Maybe they mean complaint, no 7 series graphics cards will support any DX10 features. This is pretty straightforward. There are no graphics cards on the market now that support any DX10/SM4.0 features. Period.

ManojM
06-15-06, 02:19 AM
Honestly G80 may only be announced in late September and the actual release date for retail stock may be early October. This is just my guess.

I am sure once the cards are ready from the factory, they will be sent to OEM or launch partners to test them and package them, etc.

So you can say that G80 will release about 3 to 4 months from today.

Not bad. Just 90 to 120 days. Lets say 2160 hours to 2880 hours. Is that a short time? May be or may be not.

Digital_Trans
06-15-06, 02:30 AM
LMAO, they said the 7900GTX will support DX10??

Maybe they mean complaint, no 7 series graphics cards will support any DX10 features. This is pretty straightforward. There are no graphics cards on the market now that support any DX10/SM4.0 features. Period.

LMAO! BFG's knowledge base what a joke. Never the less as long as I can play Unreal Tournament 2007 with my 7900 GTX SLI I'm happy! :D

john19055
06-15-06, 09:22 AM
The one review I seen that tested a 7900GT In SLI against a 7950GX2 has the 7900GT clocked around at 475 on the core and 1360 on the memory and very few of the 7900GT's run that slow ,but even running that slow it was keeping up with the 7950 and winning some, at those extremely high resolutions 2560 x1600 and 1920 x 1200 less the extra 256mb of memory,so I think running at 600/1600 should help it win by more then a frame or two,and at 675/1875 maybe win by 4 or 5 frames ,Helll I not trying to be a asss ,I am just so happy to fineally have a pair of cards that are working with no problems and my games are smooth once again and they look good on my new 20.1" SamSung SyncMaster 204B ,and I play my games at 1600 x 1200 so I would never be running at 2560 x1600 but I was surprise to see how well the 7900GT SLI ran at that high of a resolution.

Rollo
06-15-06, 01:44 PM
The one review I seen that tested a 7900GT In SLI against a 7950GX2 has the 7900GT clocked around at 475 on the core and 1360 on the memory and very few of the 7900GT's run that slow ,but even running that slow it was keeping up with the 7950 and winning some, at those extremely high resolutions 2560 x1600 and 1920 x 1200 less the extra 256mb of memory,so I think running at 600/1600 should help it win by more then a frame or two,and at 675/1875 maybe win by 4 or 5 frames ,Helll I not trying to be a asss ,I am just so happy to fineally have a pair of cards that are working with no problems and my games are smooth once again and they look good on my new 20.1" SamSung SyncMaster 204B ,and I play my games at 1600 x 1200 so I would never be running at 2560 x1600 but I was surprise to see how well the 7900GT SLI ran at that high of a resolution.

I have the XFX XXX GX2, stock clocks are 570/1550. That will beat every 7900GT SLI I know of besides the EVGA SSs?

My native resolution is 19X12, so I have to run that, and am glad to have 512MB effective RAM going into the second half of this year.

BTW- nice rig! That's gotta fly!

Digital_Trans
06-15-06, 02:04 PM
Everyone knows the G80 is coming in Fall, but that doesn't stop us from getting a kickass card for the summer :)

And that guy is wrong, there will be NO DX10/SM4.0 on WindowsXP.

That's why I'm waiting for the eVGA G80 Series. Only I want it to be released with the Multi GPU feature and 1GB of GDDR4 memory with higher clock speeds. I also want pixel shader 4.0 and DirectX 10 support.
I'm going to be more effective when upgrading to new video cards from now on. I figured upgrading every other year would be the best move. besides, computer games still don't look that great unless you play such games as
F.E.A.R, EverQuest II, Half Life 2 x64, Farcry x64 and a view other releases. If I'm to spend $$$ on video cards, I want the graphics to look like Hollywood industrial Light & Magic. :D

john19055
06-15-06, 03:01 PM
Yes my set of EVGA 7900GT Signature Series video cards have been great ,It is nice to fineally get a set of cards that really works just install and enjoy ,they are great overclockers but I just run them stock ,they are fast enough for me,It amazes me how well the 1.4ns memory overclocks ,my 7900GTX's that had 1.2ns memory did'nt come no where close to what my 7900GT SS can clock to ,but it probally has something to do with the size of the memory chips ,512mb vs 256mb.But if I had'nt already had my 7900GT SS I would have been on the 7950GX2 bandwagon,but to me it just does'nt make since to trade in my set of Evga 7900GT SS for a 7950GX2.since these run so well and I have'nt had a lick of trouble out of them.

Xion X2
06-15-06, 03:36 PM
I have the XFX XXX GX2, stock clocks are 570/1550. That will beat every 7900GT SLI I know of besides the EVGA SSs?

I agree w/ this. Every single benchmark I have seen (and I've seen tens of benchmarks since the GX2 was released) has a single GX2 outperforming a 7900GT SLi. And when the card is OC'd, it even comes close to a 7900GTX SLi at stock speeds.

Once again, the only way a 7900GT SLi setup is going to outperform a single GX2 is if both cards are overclocked like mad or volt-modded to get them close to GTX speeds.

But then, all you would need to do is get some decent cooling on the GX2 and overclock it a little, and voila.

rage10
06-18-06, 03:27 PM
Honestly G80 may only be announced in late September and the actual release date for retail stock may be early October. This is just my guess.

I am sure once the cards are ready from the factory, they will be sent to OEM or launch partners to test them and package them, etc.

So you can say that G80 will release about 3 to 4 months from today.

Not bad. Just 90 to 120 days. Lets say 2160 hours to 2880 hours. Is that a short time? May be or may be not.
great. now you made me make and hang up a calender and cross off every hournas it goes by till the release.:D

ViN86
06-18-06, 06:02 PM
BFG said that the 7900 GTX would support DirectX 10. Just not pixel shader 4.0 Wish I knew for the record...... :(
you have a link to this? i cant find it anywhere.

it says support for nvidia cinefx 4.0 but that is not SM4.0

it also says that its built for Microsoft Vista, but Vista only requires DX9 to run its desktop effects. DX10 is for games only. so that statement is true as it is for all DX9 compatible cards.

heatlesssun
06-18-06, 06:27 PM
Of course older DX9 will work with DX10, but they simply won't have the one bif hardware improvement that comes with DX10, Shader Model 4.0. I'm not entirely clear on this but the big advance in SM 4.0 is unified shaders, correct?

Whatever the case, unified shaders is the big deal in DX10, as thats the key to making cards more efficient.

I've heard that G80 WON'T support SM4.0 and unified shaders entirely, so I doubt I'm going that route.

I think that I'm going to get one more XFX XXX 7950 and then call it a year. If QUAD-SLI is half decent, my sig rig will have enough juice till Vista arrives, and then I'm build a new rig.

It's too easy to get caugth up in the upgrade game. I bought the sig to last a year, and it would have done fine without any upgrades for a whole year, but oh well, had to have a 7950.

And of course I've seen the the Conroe benchamarks, and going gaga over 10% increases in game performance.

Really, we spend $5k so the machine will last a while, and end up upgrading two months later, some of us at least.

G80 is great, but the hardware speculation business is just getting to be too much right now with DX10, Vista, Conroe, K8L, and on and on.

If your looking at Vista and have a solid rig that works, its time to start the waiting game I think.

Let se how this all sorts its self out over the next 6 months.

ViN86
06-18-06, 10:22 PM
actually, DX10 is not backwards compatible with DX9. if you want to run DX10, you will need an entirely new DX10 compatible vid card.

im sure games will be released with DX9 support though, until DX10 becomes the norm. if thats in any way similar to the way DX9 became the standard from DX8, then it will be 2 yrs at least.

DX 10 Info (http://news.softpedia.com/news/DirectX-10-and-so-it-ends-7762.shtml)

Vista Desktop Requirements (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphics-reqs.mspx)

so, if you read both of those links, you will need a card that is DX10 and DX9 compatible (aka the new G80 and such) if you want to be able to play newer games and run vista (with all its desktop eyecandy). i still dont understand why they would opt for DX9 desktop features and a new DX10 that is not backwards compatible. i mean, its only been about a year since both ATi and nVidia (nvidia did it way before ATi did) were fully SM3.0 compliant.

weird choice imo. hope this helps clear up some of the confusion associated with DX10 and Vista....
this is why i am waiting to upgrade :)

Blasphemer
06-19-06, 03:05 PM
Well i have splashed out on a 7950GX2, as this should last me until there are any decent DX10 games out that arent compatible with DX9, and seeing as Vista looks very nice with my 7800gt, with all the transparent frosted windows and such. There doesnt seem much point in waiting.
When is the release date for the final version of Vista anyway? And you can add on a few months before anything DX10 is any more than a tech demo with a game slapped on the side. Then i'll be ready to upgrade again, the 7950 will see me through until then. :)

OWA
06-19-06, 03:16 PM
actually, DX10 is not backwards compatible with DX9. if you want to run DX10, you will need an entirely new DX10 compatible vid card.

Hmm, AnandTech's Vista article says DX10 will be backwards compatible just like every other version of DirectX.

There seems to be some misunderstanding in the community that DX9 hardware will not run with DirectX 10 installed or with games designed using DirectX 10. It has been a while, but this transition (under Vista) will be no different to the end user than the transition to DirectX 8 and 9, where users with older DirectX 7 hardware could still install and play most DX 8/9 games, only without the pixel or vertex shaders. New games which use DirectX 10 under Vista while running on older DX9 hardware will be able to gracefully fall back to the proper level of support. We've only recently begun to see games come out that refuse to run on DX8 level hardware, and it isn't likely we will see DX10-only games for several more years. Upgrading to Vista and DX10 won't absolutely require a hardware upgrade. The benefit comes in the advanced features made possible.

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2780&p=6

jAkUp
06-20-06, 02:45 AM
I think what he means is running DX10 features, anyways, I think DX10 is going to be pretty huge. 2007 is going to be a great gaming year :)

Vapor Trail
06-20-06, 07:28 AM
I was a bit worried about Vista and Dx10 when I upgraded to a 7900GT earlier this year. After playing with the Vista beta for a week I am not worried any longer.

Vista has a long way to go before it is ready for prime time that's for sure.

Driver support for even basic hardware is really bad right now, not to mention things like Dx10.

ViN86
06-20-06, 08:58 AM
Hmm, AnandTech's Vista article says DX10 will be backwards compatible just like every other version of DirectX.

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2780&p=6
anandtech is the only source i have seen thus far that says that DX10 will be backwards compatible. every site/magazine/article i have read has said that DX10 will not be backwards compatible.

you read my two links right?

whiskeychaser
06-20-06, 09:21 AM
It's probably been said before but from what I understand is that Direct X 10 will require a Direct X 10 certified video card, if one is not detected, the game will revert to Direct X 9(?) mode, which Direct X 9 compatible video cards will be able to render. It seems logical, yet there is still ton's of confusion. Am I missing something?

shadow001
06-20-06, 09:44 AM
I think what he means is running DX10 features, anyways, I think DX10 is going to be pretty huge. 2007 is going to be a great gaming year :)

I wish i was as sure of that as you to be honest,but seeing that it looks less and less likely that Vista will even ship at all by late this year or early next,given that there's still lots of issues to resolve with it,let's just say i'm not holding my breath here...

Even if Vista wasn't further delayed,what makes you think that game developers adoption rate for DX10 will be any faster than it was with DX9,or any previous version of DX for that matter,it won't and i'm betting we'll go thru the usual 3 generations of DX10 hardware before there's even more than 10~15 games on store shelves,that actually use features that are specific to DX10 hardware in their games in any meaningfull way,and that's best case scenario here...

The proof of that is that only only now,after nearly 4 years of the original DX9's release date,are all games from now on,specifically written to pretty much require a DX9 lvl card as a minimum requirement to even run it at all...

We'll have to wait until DX10 level cards to hit under the 200$ mark(or less) to make them a lot more apealing to the average user,so that developers will go to the trouble of using those features,since the user base with DX10 cards will be there to justify it...

In my case,i'm not planning on going Vista anytime soon,at least until a couple of service packs are released for it,and maybe by then,there will actually be games out there worth the trouble and expense to go thru the change of both Vista and a DX10 card(or 2)...

fatal1ty
06-20-06, 10:08 AM

I think DX10 is going to end up like SM3.0. I think it's there more for MS to sell Vista - We'll see but overall I feel it's a huge marketing gimmick to make people buy new video cards and an new MS OS. I think it's all a bunch of crap.