PDA

View Full Version : MMORPG's

joltcola
02-05-03, 02:25 PM
I've seen quite a few posts about shooters , in the games section on these forums. Yet, haven't really seen any posts about mmorpgs ( Mass Multi Online Role Playing Games ) , such as EverQuest, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot, Anarchy Online, and all the rest, past and upcomming.

What do you all play? I've played all of the above listed, but currently running around Dark Age of Camelot , laying seige to people. Kind of taking a break from it. Mainly due to boredom and just having to deal with the people less inclined to use their brain while logged in. If you want to rollplay an idiot.. thats fine... but does everyone have to do it?! =(

I'm also intrested in whats coming in the future. For the more anticipated, Star Wars Galaxies and Shadowbane would be what I think people are looking forward to. Yet, I don't think either one has what it takes to really move the gameplay of mmorpg's forward. :(

Anyways.... let me know what you all play and what your looking forwards too!

-- Jolt

marqmajere
02-05-03, 03:32 PM
I played them all but went back to EQ. Just like it better.

demonized
02-05-03, 03:36 PM
i wanted to try AC2 but from what i heard there's not much people playing right now.

Retrofire
02-05-03, 03:43 PM
Just escaped from EQ four months ago. Haven't looked back. What a huge bloody timesink THAT game was.

I'm really looking forward to EVE though...Wish I'd made the beta. :(

monkeydust
02-05-03, 05:29 PM
I've got an AC2 account but I rarely log in...keep hoping for that magic patch to add high level content. I'm playing the Shadowbane beta a little bit as well. I'm looking forward to play Star Wars Galaxies when that comes out.

nin_fragile14
02-05-03, 07:59 PM
I played Everquest about 2 years ago. I had my fun for 3 months, but quickly lost interest. I don't understand how these games can hold some people's attention for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week for years. All the MMORPG's are very similar right now (boring). I'm hoping SWG changes that.

St Lobus
02-05-03, 09:06 PM
I play Dark Age of Camelot on the Galahad server under Hibernia. I've got a lvl 14 Valewalker that I haven't logged into for quite a while. My character name is Sentrossi Chime. Look me up if anyone's on there! All the posters in the NVNews forums are cool, can't think of anyone here I'd mind playing a game with.

joltcola
02-07-03, 08:41 AM
I'd come join you, but don't think I can level another hibernian character tho. I've got a level 50 Warden on gawaine. Took me long enough to get him to 50 just because I took so many breaks from the game.

Does anyone know of any unknown mmorpg's that are in the process of being made, that they think is ground breaking or will be a huge advancement in the world of MMORPGs?

-- Jolt

St Lobus
02-07-03, 09:49 AM
The one I've just recently learned about through this board is Dargon Empires. I think that's gonna be pretty cool because of the way characters can effect the economies of cities and things like that. But we'll see when the beta comes around.

Unique_user_id
02-07-03, 12:19 PM
they have scaled back the stuff thats gonna be in galaxies at launch. stuff like player houses, vehicles, player made missinos.
so now its just everquest in the star wars universe.

im still gonna buy it though, but not at launch

Edge
02-08-03, 01:56 AM
I actually just started playing my first MMORPG a few days ago (Anarchy online). Since I didn't have internet until a few months ago I missed out on some of the older ones, and since AO was only $10 and came with a 1 month subscription, I figured if I didn't like it I wouldn't lose much. Luckly, I like it. It's a bit to complicated, and I always feel like I'm too weak no matter how many levels I gain, but it's fun and addicting. Now all I need is the Notum Wars, those land control battles sound really fun...

Is Earth and Beyond pretty good? I hear it's a little simpler than most MMORPGs, I could go for that since a lot of MMORPGs have so much stuff in them it's overwhelming if you haven't been playing since the start.

joltcola
02-08-03, 02:31 AM
Ya.. I've hurd of Dragon Empire.. but haven't really seen much about it. Do you have any good links? I'm lazy. :D

SWG just doesn't appeal to me for a few main reasons. First, I don't think they are doing much to get rid of the leveling treadmill. I don't mind spending the time to build up a character and get him ready for battle, but after leveling in EQ, AC, AO, and DAoC , I would like a change. Another reason I think I'm going to stay away from SWG is like you said, EQ in space type thing. If I have to say LFG <level> <class> in another game, I'll puke! And the biggiest problem , is just the amount of people that will be playing the game. Since it had Star Wars writen all over it, and I'm sure it'll have the advertisement backing of a major movie, it'll have everyone in and their little sister playing. Which isn't bad, but most won't be rpg'ers. I'm not sure how to explain it, but if you play mmorpg's , you might understand what I mean.

More and more people get into the mmorpg scene that just want to make it a big chat room.
:mad:

I dunno.. im tired.. maybe someone else that knows what I mean can explain it better than I can..

oh.. and good luck with Anarchy Online. I really had high hopes when that game came out, but it had so many bugs and problems, it just made me sick. Even tho they have put in alot of effort to fix their game and come back to win awards, im too bitter to go back. I hope you enjoy tho , and the best way of combat your feeling of being overhelmed is knowing that as big as these games are, they are all very simple in design.

Have fun

-- jolt

marqmajere
02-08-03, 10:09 AM
AO was a fine game, but it seemed like I was upgrading my gear about every ten minutes. That and it was very non social. Earth and Beyond is great fun.....for the first day. After that you've realized it's nothing new and there's no depth to it. Avoid it like the plague. DAoC is a good game yet it felt almost exactly like EQ in terms of gameplay. Everygame needs to /copy, /paste Everquests chat system. SWG doesn't sound as great as they are hyping it. Sorry post is so short/to the point.

Edge
02-08-03, 10:15 PM
Huh, I actually thought AO was a pretty social game. One of the nicest things about it is when you go on solo missions you can still chat and view the regular chat channel, so even if you're bored in game you can at least talk to other people. Oh, and I rarly upgrade my gear cause I never have enough money for anything and I can never find what I want...

Oh, didn't they have something where if you played the earlier versions of it and cancelled your account (mostly because of technical problems) they gave you another 1 month trial? that was pretty nice of them, and I haven't had any major problems with the newer version of it, though it is annoying when games are released in such unfinished shape.

Hmm...so what is probably the best other MMORPG out right now? I need something to do after my 1 month trial is up ;)

Chalnoth
02-09-03, 04:16 AM
A number of years ago, I played a MUD for a long time. Later I played a bit of Everquest. Realized that I really couldn't devote the time required to do well, and quit entirely.

Now I focus mostly on single-player games that I can save any time, and don't need to play for many hours at a time to get anywhere.

Demiex
02-14-03, 03:08 AM
Yep, avid MMORPG player here. Played EQ for bout a year, then went to AO for about 5 months, then AC2 for about 2 months. AC2 is way to easy to level up in, not worth it, im considering cancelling my account. The few MMORPGs i'm looking at that peeps may not have heard of are: www.planetside.com and www.lineage2.com. Both seem badarse, planetside being like a massive game of tribes i hope, and lineage more like a classic rpg made new. Eve looks good too, but i doubt i'd play a space rpg like that. Im waiting till Planetside comes out in two months, then playin that till EQ2, cause i know sony will get that game right they're just too good, and im probably skipping starwars galaxy, just doesn't interest me plus im thinkin all the counterstrike peeps, i.e. alot of people who usually never play games to start with, will be playin that too, so count me out ;)

Demiex

marqmajere
02-14-03, 08:15 AM
Either EQ2 or Worlds of Warcraft for me. They both look great. :D

The Baron
02-14-03, 05:02 PM
Neocron. (http://www.neocron.com)

Good buddy of mine whom I actually listen to on matters relating to games swears by it. Might have a review soon... ;)