PDA

View Full Version : Router slowing things down?

Riptide
06-15-06, 09:01 AM
I don't get this. I have a Netgear FVS318 rev 1 which has worked well for quite some time. Bresnan is my cable provider. My stated speeds are 7meg down and 384k up.

Here's the wierdness. I can never achieve full throughput when I have the router in the picture. dslreports speed tests rarely show d/l speeds over 4meg. Sometimes it slows WAY down. Reboots of the router don't seem to fix it. The problem sometimes magically disappears of it's own. That's the first problem.

Secondly the Steam/CSS browser is very laggy. I have the right ports forwarded in the router so it should be fine. But it isn't.

Now if I take the router out of the picture and hook the PC up to the modem DHCP my bandwidth is excellent. The Steam/CSS browser also works fine then. Perfectly in fact.

Why would my router be causing this odd behavior? My PC is the only device connected to it and I have it setup with a static IP. The router has the latest firmware. Could Bresnan be doing something that would cause this?

Superfly
06-15-06, 09:35 AM
should'nt you be using a dynamic IP??

I have the same setup, single PC + Cable Modem + Router and I use a dymanic IP with no throughput worries at all.

I have a belkin router though..........

retsam
06-15-06, 09:43 AM
rip, try this http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.html

are you on ppoe or dhcp?...make sure your mtu is set to 1492 for ppoe and 1500 for dynamic.

Riptide
06-15-06, 09:54 AM
Yeah someone else mentioned I should try and set the MTU size. It's on my list of things to try when I go to troubleshoot this over the weekend.

The router itself is on DHCP and grabs an IP from the cable modem. On the LAN side it's static right now. I have it that way so I could setup port forwarding for CSS.

einstein_314
06-15-06, 10:37 AM
Can your router assign IP's based on what the MAC address of the computer is? I have my router so that whenever my computer turns on (and connects to the router) it gives it the same static IP address every time. And that way I leave Windows set to dynamic IP. So it's actually static, but it thinks it's dynamic.

I don't know if the static/dynamic IP would be causing this though...I'm not much of an expert on routers.

Riptide
06-15-06, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure if it will do that or not but it's something I might look into. Another thing that might theoretically be causing a problem here is that I'm using the ethernet surge suppresion on my power strip. I'm going to take that out of the picture as well and see if it makes any difference.

einstein_314
06-15-06, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure if it will do that or not but it's something I might look into. Another thing that might theoretically be causing a problem here is that I'm using the ethernet surge suppresion on my power strip. I'm going to take that out of the picture as well and see if it makes any difference.
Yeah, that's a good one to look into...I have surge protection on mine too through my UPS.

Although it doesn't affect mine...but you never know.

tacos4me
06-15-06, 10:48 AM
Go check Netgear's website for a newer firmware version. My router used to do a lot of funky things, and a nice update took care of it. :)

saturnotaku
06-15-06, 10:55 AM
I was going to suggest firmware also, and here's something that helped me. I would experience similar behavior, where when connected to the router my connection would be slow or drop all together. Connecting directly to the modem worked fine. After trying the usual troubleshooting, D-Link support had me use the option of cloning my PC's MAC address into the router. That way, the modem thinks my system is connected directly to it. I've been online constantly since, and speed hasn't been an issue. Hopefully your router supports this feature.

Riptide
06-15-06, 10:59 AM
Firmware is @ the latest. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try out some of this stuff over the weekend.

retsam
06-15-06, 11:42 AM
are you paying more for the static ip?... did you isp assing you that ip or did you first get it through dhcp and reassign it to the wan interface?.... im just curius thats all...

retsam
06-15-06, 11:43 AM
oh ya, make sure your mtu on your local machine is set to 1500 as well as the router.

Riptide
06-15-06, 11:44 AM
I'm using static IP on the LAN side of the router. So my PC has a static IP/GTW/DNS settings. My cable modem does not have a static IP.