PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my 6600GT -- Advice?

Seibol
06-15-06, 03:25 PM
After getting my computer back from having it collect dust while I was abroad working, I jumped right back into gaming where I left off.

I purchased Call of Duty 2 just after Christmas, but didn't load it up until April. I found myself, for the first time, disappointed with the speed of my video card.

You see until now, I have always enjoyed playing my games at a fair resolution of 1280x1024 with the eye-candy from medium to medium-high. I never was much into AA or AF. The resolution was satisfying enough for my gaming needs.

So, this in mind, and DX10 around the corner, is it even a good time to buy?

I have read reviews over and over about how the 7600 GT is a true budget replacement for the 6600 GT. I am wondering if this is a good buy for the interim time before DX10 cards start hitting the market. I am a single card guy, not ready to buy into SLI yet, so I am wondering about the 7600GTs staying power.

Or should I go with a 7900GT, which has more than enough power to handle todays games, and I think could easily run the life-cycle into next Spring until real DX10 hardware and software offerings come about?

And then there is the ol' "Deal with it until DX10 Cards come out!"

What say you all?

Seibol

Stoneyguy
06-15-06, 05:53 PM
Your system specs would help in seeing if it's worth it.

Seibol
06-16-06, 08:33 AM
Sorry about that.

My current system is a

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2400 Mhz
2GB OCZ EL DDR 400 2-2-3-1T
Audigy 2 ZS
80GB 7200RPM SATA HDD
600W Fortron Source SLI capible PS

and currently running an Asus A8V mobo that will be replaced with
a A8N32-SLI Deluxe upon Vid card update.

The current video card I have now is an XFX 6600GT AGP.

Hope that helps.

Seibol

Stoneyguy
06-16-06, 10:14 AM
7900 GT would be great for you. DX 10 will come out with Vista, and Vista has been delayed more then once. The 7900 GT will cover you even if there is a delay.

and mail me the old A8V motherboard when your done with it ;)

a12ctic
06-16-06, 11:55 AM
even when direct x comes out youll still be able to play direct x 10 games in direct x 9 mode with a few missing features. although the next gen nv cards are coming in a few months, id just wait, my 6600GT is still kicking, as long as i can play @ 1024x768 med-high settings im happy, and its got overclocking potential, not sure about the agp version though, my buddies idles at 58C (mine idles @ 43C)

Seibol
06-16-06, 02:39 PM
Just to re-emphasize what I am looking for.

I am aware that DX10 will come out with vista and I am aware that any card that I have will run in DX9 mode.

I was a the proud owner of an Original GeForce 3. I never did see the features it had to offer develop before I upgraded to something else.

I guess what I am looking for are current owners of these cards and the Graphics gurus who have memorized the reviews. At this point in the game, is a Graphics card a wise investment at this time? Will this card last 12-18 months? Will I be able to play games of the Oblivion caliber without having to sacrifice my beloved 1280x1024 resolution?

What say you?

Seibol

a12ctic
06-16-06, 03:18 PM
the 7600GT should be fine if your comfortable at constant 40fps

Stoneyguy
06-16-06, 06:31 PM
7600GT to me just isn't worth it if you have a 6600GT already. Sure it's a bump, but not significant enough to last a year. The 7900GT will last the year but not much more. If your happy with the performance of the 6600GT with the games you have right now, hold on to it. The next generation Geforce should be coming out in Fall/Winter and no massive graphic intensive games should be coming out until then anyway.

john19055
06-16-06, 11:10 PM
I agree if you have a 6600GT and want to upgrade ,at least get a 7900GT ,it will be a lot better then a 7600GT and they keep getting cheaper.

Seibol
06-17-06, 08:58 AM
Thanks guys for the input.

I believe I am going with the 7900GT or nothing at all. As far as 7900GTs go, I have been reading about all the issues with some of the "overclocked" versions from XFX and eVGA. The shame is, that these have been my preferred vendors.

Anyone know if these issues have been dealt with once and for all since the product has been on the shelves for a bit, or is it still hit or miss?

Does anyone else have and preferred brands out there that are great performers in the 7900GT series?

Thanks,

Seibol

Maverickman
06-19-06, 03:19 PM
I was thinking of a 7900GT to replace my 7800GT. BFG cards are usually good as are PNY. BFG has a true lifetime warranty, and their cards have been good for me.

watever
06-19-06, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys for the input.

I believe I am going with the 7900GT or nothing at all. As far as 7900GTs go, I have been reading about all the issues with some of the "overclocked" versions from XFX and eVGA. The shame is, that these have been my preferred vendors.

Anyone know if these issues have been dealt with once and for all since the product has been on the shelves for a bit, or is it still hit or miss?

Does anyone else have and preferred brands out there that are great performers in the 7900GT series?

Thanks,

Seibol

its not only the overclocked versions that have issues. My first card i got was a eVGA vanilla gt that i overclocked to superclock speeds and it died within a day. My second vanilla card i got from an rma was ran at stock speeds and died within a couple days. 3rd card was also never overclocked and ran at stock speeds, and well... it died in a couple days. only way to make it work without artifacts was to downclock the memory to 570 (1140). Waiting on card #4. And no its not user error or a failing component in my system since i put in a 7800 gt and a friends 7800 gtx to test it out and it worked flawlessly.... as for ur choices between XFX or eVGA, i would recommend eVGA for their excellent customer support thats second to none and their 90 day step up program.