PDA

View Full Version : Stupid questions...

Bearclaw
06-15-06, 10:45 PM
I am relativly new to the computer building arena and I was wondering what AA, AF, HDF and other gaming terms were and meant when it comes to graphics. Thanks.

leafo
06-15-06, 11:08 PM
AA is anti-aliasing, which is the removal of jagged edges along 3d objects. Computer displays are made up for sqaure pixels, so in order to draw something round then it needs to do aliasing, which is just simulating a round object on the display by using the closest matching square pixels. Of course that is not truely round, so anti-aliasing smooths out those edges so they appear rounded (or appear at a strange angle). Increase the levels of AA on your graphics card to make 3d scenes look better, at the cost of performance.

AF is anisiotropic filtering, which is texture sharpening when viewing at low angles or from a distance. Just like AA, you can increase AF on your graphics card to make textures look better, but at the expense of performance or FPS.

(FPS is frames per second, the graphics processor (GPU) draws each scene you see on your monitor many times over in a single second in order to make it look like a fluid moving image, the lower the FPS the more jerky movements on screen feel. You want the highest FPS with the best graphical quality. 60FPS is a good number to shoot for.)

I dont know what HDF is, but I think you meant HDR. HDR is high dynamic range, and that is the simulation of your pupil adjusting when you go from dark to light areas. Pretty much, it is a fancy light bloom effect.

supra
06-15-06, 11:16 PM
in simple terms

aa = getting rid of jagged edges
af = sharper images
hdr = ridicoulously bright lighting

:D

einstein_314
06-15-06, 11:43 PM
AA is anti-aliasing, which is the removal of jagged edges along 3d objects. Computer displays are made up for sqaure pixels, so in order to draw something round then it needs to do aliasing, which is just simulating a round object on the display by using the closest matching square pixels. Of course that is not truely round, so anti-aliasing smooths out those edges so they appear rounded (or appear at a strange angle). Increase the levels of AA on your graphics card to make 3d scenes look better, at the cost of performance.

AF is anisiotropic filtering, which is texture sharpening when viewing at low angles or from a distance. Just like AA, you can increase AF on your graphics card to make textures look better, but at the expense of performance or FPS.

(FPS is frames per second, the graphics processor (GPU) draws each scene you see on your monitor many times over in a single second in order to make it look like a fluid moving image, the lower the FPS the more jerky movements on screen feel. You want the highest FPS with the best graphical quality. 60FPS is a good number to shoot for.)

I dont know what HDF is, but I think you meant HDR. HDR is high dynamic range, and that is the simulation of your pupil adjusting when you go from dark to light areas. Pretty much, it is a fancy light bloom effect.
QFT

Just to clarify, the higher the AF (anistropic filtering) the farther from you textures will remain sharp. With no AF, only the textures right at your feet are sharp and then they start to get blury as they move into the distance.