PDA

View Full Version : CSS Locks up (Part 2)

Riptide
06-16-06, 12:15 AM
OK tonight I got a hard lockup in CSS, sound stuck in a loop. WoW has also crashed on me, BSOD. None of this was happening until I installed this new GX2 and the 91.31 driver.

This problem is identical to the fiasco I had the last time around with the 7800GTX. Via extensive troubleshooting (including multiple system rebuilds, swapping the card out for a 512M version) I determined the last time around that the NVidia dual core optimizations for some reason expose a problem on my system. Driver 78.03 was perfectly stable. Only driver sets w/the dual core support were a problem. Also, this issue does not come up with the Catalyst driver suite.

It is apparent to me that whatever the problem is, the driver still exposes it. Again I am confident that the GX2 is fine. All my system components are stable with the ATI card and driver suite.

So I ask you guys. Just what in the hell is wrong with my computer such that it hates the NVidia driver? My components (see sig) are pretty standard and lots of people are using this without any problems.

I am thinking that I have some sort of hardware problem here that only the NVidia driver is exposing. Whatever it is - the Catalyst driver does not run into it. It is unlikely to be the PS - that was already changed out previously. The RAM and CPU passes memtest and Prime95 blend.

Do you think there might be something flakey about my motherboard here? I am using the regular A8N and not the deluxe or premium. Could my unit be defective in such a way that only the NVidia card and driver seem to show the problem?

Obviously this is an exotic problem. Real fun stuff eh? :thumbdwn:

shungokusatsu
06-16-06, 03:27 AM
I'm not sure Riptide, CSS is my fav and most played game, I spent pretty much all day playhing CSS nonstop. I haven't hjad a single lockup, BSOD, crash or any type of error or gltich what so ever. I doubt it's your mboard or psu, perhaps it the memory? Maybe it passes memtest, but your config just doesn't like the memory.

PSYCHODAD
06-16-06, 03:44 AM
Just a thought, but are you by any chance using the NV ide drivers?

Superfly
06-16-06, 06:06 AM
OK tonight I got a hard lockup in CSS, sound stuck in a loop. WoW has also crashed on me, BSOD. None of this was happening until I installed this new GX2 and the 91.31 driver.

This problem is identical to the fiasco I had the last time around with the 7800GTX. Via extensive troubleshooting (including multiple system rebuilds, swapping the card out for a 512M version) I determined the last time around that the NVidia dual core optimizations for some reason expose a problem on my system. Driver 78.03 was perfectly stable. Only driver sets w/the dual core support were a problem. Also, this issue does not come up with the Catalyst driver suite.

It is apparent to me that whatever the problem is, the driver still exposes it. Again I am confident that the GX2 is fine. All my system components are stable with the ATI card and driver suite.

So I ask you guys. Just what in the hell is wrong with my computer such that it hates the NVidia driver? My components (see sig) are pretty standard and lots of people are using this without any problems.

I am thinking that I have some sort of hardware problem here that only the NVidia driver is exposing. Whatever it is - the Catalyst driver does not run into it. It is unlikely to be the PS - that was already changed out previously. The RAM and CPU passes memtest and Prime95 blend.

Do you think there might be something flakey about my motherboard here? I am using the regular A8N and not the deluxe or premium. Could my unit be defective in such a way that only the NVidia card and driver seem to show the problem?

Obviously this is an exotic problem. Real fun stuff eh? :thumbdwn:

Use coolbits3D to unlock all the extra bits and turn off the dual core optimizations - let us know how you get on.

also - how often does this happen?? - every hour/day/week??

and could I please have your dxdiag just in case we need to put a bug report in.

Riptide
06-16-06, 08:22 AM
It's not the RAM - it was fine with the ATI card and driver. Not to mention it passes any diagnostic I throw at it. Previously when I had this problem with those two 7800GTX cards I even swapped memory with a friend and it made no difference. Since that first incident I have swapped out the power supply with this OCZ (was using an Antec).

Anyhow yeah I am going to make sure and try to turn off the dual core optimizations in the driver and do some testing that way. At least this time around I don't have to go loading old drivers which this time would probably be impossible to do since 78.x would not work with this card.

For now I loaded the newest AMD cpu driver and I will try that. It didn't help last time though. The instability is random, like before. It can run fine for 2 hours or 20 minutes. But sooner or later - BSOD or hard lockup. Only in 3D games ofcourse.

Other people are able to run with this config and have those optimizations turned on. I can't help but suspect that newegg sent me a fussy motherboard here. At least that is my first suspicion if it comes down to this being a hardware problem. Since I'm already tapped after buying this card the only board I can really justify trying is the A8N-E. Totally different chipset (VIA) but it's pretty cheap. The Soltek K8T890 I tried was a piece of junk but I liked the K8T800 so I'm thinking about giving them another try if it comes down to it.

Superfly
06-16-06, 08:24 AM
yeh could be the MoBo - thats were I would look first if considering a hardware fault.

let me know if you need any help with bug reporting.

cheers.

Riptide
06-16-06, 08:29 AM
Thanks. If it does turn out to be something busted in the system this is one of the strangest things I've ever seen in over 18 years of tinkering with PCs. It works fine with the ATI card and driver. But NVidia card and drivers = boom.

W T F?? lol

kwynjunk
06-16-06, 09:30 AM
Thanks. If it does turn out to be something busted in the system this is one of the strangest things I've ever seen in over 18 years of tinkering with PCs. It works fine with the ATI card and driver. But NVidia card and drivers = boom.

W T F?? lol

Weird. I think it sounds like a mobo issue, since you know your memory is fine, your CPU doesn't sound like the culprit nor does it sound like a Hard Drive Issue. You may want to disable 1 thing at a time though. Have you tried disabling the sound card, etc...? Who knows?

A along time ago, when I had my commodore 64, it would not play Choplifter for more than 30 seconds without crashing. My dad and I spent hours cause every other game/program worked fine. My copy of Choplifter also worked on all my friends Commodore 64s. Anyway, one day by accident I gave my c64 a huge static shock. Wouldn't work. Needed to go into the shop, came back and I could play CHoplifter.

My point: even the slightest hardware issue may affect only 1 thing. In your case CSS. So after disabiling each component 1 at a time you may be able to narrow it down to the motherboard or figure out which part it is.

Riptide
06-16-06, 09:57 AM
Well it isn't just CSS. WoW has gone down as well. I am pretty sure FarCry will have the same issue it did before - though I need to do some more testing.

As for the sound card it has been replaced since the first round of troubles six months ago (w/the 7800GTX). I now have an X-Fi, back then I had a Audigy 2. Also the disc drive has been replaced as well - I'm now using a Raptor 150GB.

Really the only hardware that is still here from that first fiasco is my motherboard and CPU. I'm not 100% sure about the RAM but I think I had EL Revision 2 back when I first ran into this problem.

A buddy of mine also thinks the motherboard is the most likely culprit. It's the cheapest thing to replace and if it doesn't help then I can always call up AMD and have them swap my chip out. Same thing goes for OCZ and my RAM. Both those companies have pretty good service.

kwynjunk
06-16-06, 11:25 AM
Well it isn't just CSS. WoW has gone down as well. I am pretty sure FarCry will have the same issue it did before - though I need to do some more testing.

As for the sound card it has been replaced since the first round of troubles six months ago (w/the 7800GTX). I now have an X-Fi, back then I had a Audigy 2. Also the disc drive has been replaced as well - I'm now using a Raptor 150GB.

Really the only hardware that is still here from that first fiasco is my motherboard and CPU. I'm not 100% sure about the RAM but I think I had EL Revision 2 back when I first ran into this problem.

A buddy of mine also thinks the motherboard is the most likely culprit. It's the cheapest thing to replace and if it doesn't help then I can always call up AMD and have them swap my chip out. Same thing goes for OCZ and my RAM. Both those companies have pretty good service.

You may be able to buy a Motherboard from Newegg and if it has the same problems RMA it saying you are having issues.

So far I've never had a problem RMAing something with Newegg. They have excellent customer service.

Riptide
06-16-06, 12:26 PM
If I try another board and the problem remains then all that has done is prove that it isn't the board. No point then in RMA'ng a good board. ;)

My gut says it's something about the motherboard causing this but I won't know until I can afford to replace it.