PDA

View Full Version : One PCIe slot to cause crashing. Other fine. Any ideas?

Tygerwoody
06-16-06, 08:25 AM
My computer stats are in my sig.

Basically, my PC has been acting up lately. Sometimes it wont even boot up at all. Other times when it does get to windows, it will just reboot for no apparent reason and give me a blue screen. I moved my video card from the top PCIe slot to the bottom and SO FAR it seems to be working "ok"(I'm not keeping my hopes up). Anyone know if this is a common issue? Is my motherboard bad? Is there something else I might want to try?

P.S I hate AMD with a bloody passion and I hope all their employees die in a fire. This PC has caused me NOTHING but trouble since day one. I have probably 5 different threads all related to some stupid known problem with my board or just AMD sucking all together. My THREE old P4 systems NEVER gave me this much troubles. Actually they never gave me problems AT ALL. Hopefully someone can help me fix yet again another problem.

Tygerwoody
06-16-06, 12:39 PM
I guess nobody here is smart enough to help me out..... :o

CaptNKILL
06-16-06, 01:07 PM
Im not sure about that problem really.

Honestly, if you've been having so many problems with it since day 1 its probably because of the motherboard. Blame Asus, not AMD :p

If you have any extra hard drives, try installing XP on one and mess around with that. If you still have problems on that installation, then its definitely a hardware problem.

Tygerwoody
06-16-06, 01:11 PM
Im not sure about that problem really.

Honestly, if you've been having so many problems with it since day 1 its probably because of the motherboard. Blame Asus, not AMD :p

If you have any extra hard drives, try installing XP on one and mess around with that. If you still have problems on that installation, then its definitely a hardware problem.
its definitely a hardware problem. No question about it. I blame AMD. AMD works with the devil.

flukester
06-16-06, 01:33 PM
its definitely a hardware problem. No question about it. I blame AMD. AMD works with the devil.

I have a similar board to yours without issues at all. Best damn motherboard I've had. Did you install the PC yourself? What does blue screen say. Details details details.. no details nobody can help you.

J-Mag
06-16-06, 01:36 PM
Definitely not a CPU issue. Why blame AMD? Sounds like it is a chipset or mobo trace problem. Basically it is a bad motherboard. My first SLI board was an a8n-sli deluxe and it gave out on me where I would have to use slot two to run a GPU. Then finally that one died. I have a feeling it was due to the extra weight of a copper aftermarket GPU cooler. I also might not have mounted the mobo using all the screw holes. I now religiously mount with all the screw holes (i know it sounds weird) especially in SLI.

You should probably blame Asus, Nvidia, or Yourself not AMD.

ViN86
06-16-06, 02:59 PM
my Asus board was a POS. came with a damaged memory slot, which i never found out until i sold it to my bro and he ended up RMA'ing it.

DFI ftw

CaptNKILL
06-16-06, 03:33 PM
Yep, to be honest, I dont like Asus boards much. Never had a very good experience with one. Even when the A8N-SLI Deluxe was THE top of the line $200 board, my friend bought one and it was really irritating to work with.

Tygerwoody
06-16-06, 03:38 PM
Definitely not a CPU issue. Why blame AMD? Sounds like it is a chipset or mobo trace problem. Basically it is a bad motherboard.
:rofl
You guys take me way too seriously. I know its not a CPU issue. Only reason I am saying its an "AMD" issue is because a friend of mine trolls this forum and he knows I'm an Intel Fanboi :p . I basically narrowed it down to probably the motherboard. Its weird that I've had this motherboard for 6 months and just now its starting to act funky.

Again, I'm totally kidding with the AMD comments. Put your pitch forks away. :D I will say this though, Intel chipsets are definitely better than any others around. I love Nvidia to death, but they need to stick to the graphics card industry.

P.S Conroe > *

Tygerwoody
06-16-06, 03:45 PM
I have a similar board to yours without issues at all. Best damn motherboard I've had. Did you install the PC yourself? What does blue screen say. Details details details.. no details nobody can help you.
What details do you want? I gave every detail you needed. Blue Screens on Windows are next to worthless in troubleshooting. Any decent hardware tech knows that. Besides, The bluescreen only flashes up for a brief second so you can't even read it anyway. And if you want to know what the event viewer says. I get event ID 1003. Yet again, a worthless generic error code that solves nothing.

I have thought it was the motherboard since the very begining. However, about a month ago I was having problems and I diagnosed it as the motherboard but it turned out to just be Nvidia IDE drivers(that i don't remember installing myself). So I figured i'd as for advice again. No harm in asking for advice. You say you want details? I'm really interested in what you need to hear, this is a pretty simple situation.

Tr1cK
06-16-06, 04:06 PM
My first Asus was a P5AB running a K6-2...it was a gem. My second and last Asus was some VIA KT600 chipset for my Athlon XP. It was basically DOA, costing me $25 in restocking fees on return. I'll never buy Asus again.

Tygerwoody
06-16-06, 04:49 PM
My first Asus was a P5AB running a K6-2...it was a gem. My second and last Asus was some VIA KT600 chipset for my Athlon XP. It was basically DOA, costing me $25 in restocking fees on return. I'll never buy Asus again.
I use to buy exclusively from Abit and never had any problems. What other Motherboard manufacturers are good these days? I think I am with you. I'm anti Asus :D

einstein_314
06-16-06, 05:00 PM
I use to buy exclusively from Abit and never had any problems. What other Motherboard manufacturers are good these days? I think I am with you. I'm anti Asus :D
I've never had a problem with an Asus board... and I've built 6 systems with them. But that doesn't mean they don't have their problems.

I really like DFI boards. They are really well built and the tech support forum is awesome (DFI-street.com). And the overclocking options are amazing. So much stuff to tweak. It may take a bit longer to get everything working correctly but it's worth it.

grey_1
06-16-06, 05:57 PM
On my third DFI board, A skt 754 and 2 939's. Never so much as 1 problem except the lan port on the 754 got stupid on me. Die hard DFI fan here now unless they really screw something up.

But if it's running well now why not tough it out til conroes are on the shelves?