PDA

View Full Version : Case Cooling

Bearclaw
06-16-06, 01:42 PM
I am looking for good fans to cool my case and I have a few questions.

1) Are there a few different types, air flow and something else, I hear people talking and writing abaout different kinds on this forums and in other places.

2) Are those fans with multiple blades good (I mean the 16 blade ones)?

3)And lastly, does it matter which way the fan is sitting..backwards or frontwards in the case? I didn't think it matters but does it? Will the travel of airflow change?

THanks guys.

Roadhog
06-16-06, 01:50 PM
1. There are tons of different kinds of fans. Airflow, Size, Noise.. etc...

2. I hear they are good.

3. Yes, yes, yes.

ViN86
06-16-06, 02:00 PM
exhaust > intake for the fan next to the motherboard. the fan in the front should be an intake and the back fan should be an exhaust.

nV`andrew
06-16-06, 02:07 PM
exhaust > intake for the fan next to the motherboard. the fan in the front should be an intake and the back fan should be an exhaust.

yep. use nothing smaller than 80mm if possible. vantec, panaflo, antec etc are good

einstein_314
06-16-06, 03:07 PM
1) Fans are rated by cubic feet per minute (cfm) of air and by decibels (dB). And they come in different sizes (80mm, 92mm, 120mm are the common ones...)

2) I haven't really read anything on them so I don't know

3) A typical case has an intake fan at the front at the bottom (or 2) and an exhaust fan at the back somewhere just below the powersupply. This will create an airstream that draws in cool air at the front and as it travels through the case it will warm up, and rise to the exhaust fan(s).

So you generally want the fans at the front to be blowing in, and the ones at the back to be blowing out...

Tr1cK
06-16-06, 03:10 PM
Use the largest fans (diameter) you possibly can. Typically large fans spin at slower RPMs which in turn produce lower sound levels. They also move more air being larger. Look for low DBs and high CFM numbers.

SLippe
06-16-06, 04:54 PM
Use the largest fans (diameter) you possibly can. Typically large fans spin at slower RPMs which in turn produce lower sound levels. They also move more air being larger. Look for low DBs and high CFM numbers.
That's what I was going to say. :thumbsup:

Bearclaw
06-16-06, 11:48 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. how do you know if they are facing the right way? I mean, they can be installed either way.

CaptNKILL
06-17-06, 12:14 AM
http://www.endpcnoise.com/e/images/items/papst_silent_case_fan.jpg

See the plastic parts that cover the fan? The 4 angled "sticks" that connect to the center? The fan almost always blows toward that direction. The fan blades will be exposed on the other side with nothing covering them.

Roadhog
06-17-06, 12:19 AM
Thanks for all your help guys. how do you know if they are facing the right way? I mean, they can be installed either way.

just use some common sence on that one.

Bearclaw
06-17-06, 12:20 AM
just use some common sence on that one.

Sorry I'm a ****ing moron roadhog

Roadhog
06-17-06, 01:00 AM
Sorry I'm a ****ing moron roadhog

I was J/k... sorry.

But seriously, plug it in and see what way it blows.

einstein_314
06-17-06, 03:37 AM
Somewhere on the fan there should be 2 little arrows...one that points in the direction the fan spins, and one that points in the direction the air flows...I've seen these arrows on every fan i've ever used...

Or you could just plug it in...

Bearclaw
06-17-06, 01:07 PM
Ya, I mean, its obvious but air seems to come from both ways..It's wierd.

Rytr
06-17-06, 01:21 PM
Your case appears to accept a 92mm or a 120mm exhaust fan in the back. Whichever, I would replace the 80mm with a larger one. The front intake looks to be fitted only for an 80mm fan. Like has been said, a 120mm would be ideal for your case if one can be fitted. Otherwise, I would recommend an 80mm Panaflo mid - hi perf fan replacing your current 80mm.
My observation, based on your system components and the case you have, you need to improve your air flow through the case.
I have found that most of the time it is better to have slightly, >5 CFM, more air coming in than what is being exhausted. This give you a positive pressure in the case and keeps from pulling air through all the cracks and crevices in the case which tend to disrupt air flow through the case as applied with negative pressure (more air being exhausted than what the intake fan(s) can supply).

Bearclaw
06-17-06, 09:16 PM
I replaced the back fan wiht a 120mm. I don't think I can even add a fan in the front..