PDA

View Full Version : nTune 5 and agp/pci bus

j0j081
06-16-06, 09:14 PM
For the fun of it I decided to let nTune 5 find the best overclocks for my system. For the most part it seemed to work okay but I'm wondering why does it insist on raising my agp/pci bus speed? Isn't that a dangerous thing to do or is it assuming if your system passed the 3 hour stress test it won't harm it. Also, what gain would you even have from overclocking the pci bus?

SLippe
06-16-06, 09:45 PM
I've seen a few peeps over at extremeoverclocking.com overclock their pci/pcie bus, but I forget exactly what they benefit from it. I would think higher overclocks on the card, but I don't know.

squall_leonhart
06-16-06, 10:05 PM
its increases the speeds in which data is sent along the agp/pci bus, meaning the bottlenecks that pci causes are lessened

j0j081
06-16-06, 10:28 PM
its increases the speeds in which data is sent along the agp/pci bus, meaning the bottlenecks that pci causes are lessened
Is there a bottleneck though? I thought AGP was no where near being maxed out with the 6800 line.

squall_leonhart
06-16-06, 10:34 PM
its an alternative to lowering pci latency, one that can damage your system

j0j081
06-17-06, 09:07 PM
actually you know what? I played with the program a little more and found that it's only the AGP bus it is increasing to 77. The PCI bus says it's at 33 so that is only applying to my video card then correct?

squall_leonhart
06-17-06, 11:13 PM
the pci bus on nforce systems is locked because the pci bus is the same bus that the ide system is on which means increasing it can cause Corruption along disk transfers