PDA

View Full Version : WAAA!!!! one of my 7800gtx512 dies.

FearMeAll
06-18-06, 10:17 AM
it just happened moments ago. One of my 7800gtx cards died! I cannot replace it since it does not exist anymore. I noticed sli was not working properly that last 2 weeks. It would start working properly again if I rebooted the pc. Well I rebooted this time and all I got was a long beep and a blank screen. I took the secondary card out and bam it works. replace the primary card with the secondary card and now it does the beep and blank screen again. so now I'm back to single card and it sucks. I paid over 1500 bucks for these 2 cards at the time($750 a piece) and now I'm pretty screwed. Warranty's up and XFX is not gonna be able to give me another 7800gtx512 anyways.
So now I'm looking at getting a 7950GX2. I actually want 2 of them and run them in quad sli. My board is a DFI lanpartyUT nf4 sli expert board and I wonder if quad sli will work with it. I see the cards on newegg now for $579 a piece (cheaper than what my 7800s cost.) Will it work. My motherboard bios seems to let both slots run at 16x. Will it work with the latest beta drivers?

FearMeAll
06-18-06, 10:35 AM
ok I looked at jakup's sig and he has the same rig as I do down to the motherboard and he got quad sli working so I ordered both of them. Anyone want a spare 7800gtx that works lol? I think I might give it to a friend of mine. I just don't really have an interest in a secondary rig.

ZEROCOOL101
06-18-06, 11:41 AM
I got a freind that has a dell with pci-e, with a cheap card. Id take it for him :) He wants to be able to play Css and oblivion at good res :) I also have a DFI expert with one EVGA 7950 and so far its working Great, cant wait for the second one coming tomorrow for quad sli.

FearMeAll
06-18-06, 11:46 AM
I also have a DFI expert with one EVGA 7950 and so far its working Great, cant wait for the second one coming tomorrow for quad sli.
sweet tell me how it works for you.

ZEROCOOL101
06-18-06, 11:50 AM
So far I havent had any issues with my one 7950. I tried BF2 last night, and it runs great. Seems ones good enough, but I got to try two in Quad sli for the fun. Also, I ran 3dmark066 and got 7,615 points. (nana2)

sirplayalot
06-18-06, 11:53 AM
I'll take that "spare" card! :D

My 7900GT is faulty and eVGA doesnt have em in stock..I've been waiting for an RMA for 3 months >_<

heatlesssun
06-18-06, 03:59 PM
The 7800 512 GTX came out only 7 months ago. How can you be out of waranty by now? I thought XFX had the best waranty in the business with it "double lifetime" deal.

I was running a pair of BFG 7800 512 GTX's till last week. Replaced them with an XFX XXX 7950GX2 (might go QUAD-SLI when its officially supported in the general public) and the performance is identical the the pair of 7800 512 GTX's for less than half the cost. That kinda sucks, but coolat the same time.

Fortunately, never had a problem with the 7800's! (Knock on wood!)

FearMeAll
06-18-06, 05:31 PM
The 7800 512 GTX came out only 7 months ago. How can you be out of waranty by now? I thought XFX had the best waranty in the business with it "double lifetime" deal.

I was running a pair of BFG 7800 512 GTX's till last week. Replaced them with an XFX XXX 7950GX2 (might go QUAD-SLI when its officially supported in the general public) and the performance is identical the the pair of 7800 512 GTX's for less than half the cost. That kinda sucks, but coolat the same time.

Fortunately, never had a problem with the 7800's! (Knock on wood!)
really? huh. so one 7950 gets more performance than 2 7800gtx 512's?? wow.
I need to look closer at my warranty. I still have the boxes and everything. I dunno if I can get it replaced that would be great but how can they replace a card that no longer exists? if they give me a stepup it won't run in sli with the other card anymore. I'll call them. I even ran the cards under their clock speeds just to make them last longer too.
still looking forward to quad sli. I know it will suck for another month though but I got a lot of loose money laying around.
edit...just tried running my other card for kicks to see if any miracles happened...nope.. it's officially dead.

heatlesssun
06-18-06, 06:58 PM

Don't want you to get the wrong idea. I was saying that the performance of 7800 512 GTX SLI and one 7950GX2 would be pretty much identical for all practical purposes.

3DMark06 was reporting on average 8550 for the 7800's and about 8400 for the 7950. Now this was using two different driver versions as well so its not a great comparison, but in real world gaming with HL2 E1, Quake 4, F.E.A.R., CoD2, I can't notice any difference in game play performance or image quality, so the way I look at it in the real world.

1 7950GX2 = 7800 512 GTX SLI

and I believe that this is accutate.

The Bigman
06-19-06, 12:16 AM
Man they make cards like crap now a days. U can take an old Geforce 3 and through it off a 30 Story building and it might still work, you do that to a new Geforce 2 feet off the floor and its dead. Wow i think there isn't much quality control in this garbage these days. Im thinking of dumping SLI and going back to my thrusty x850PT. That card still works ok. Man why do these thing die?

Dazz
06-19-06, 02:52 AM
I need to look closer at my warranty. I still have the boxes and everything. I dunno if I can get it replaced that would be great but how can they replace a card that no longer exists? if they give me a stepup it won't run in sli with the other card anymore. I'll call them. I even ran the cards under their clock speeds just to make them last longer too.
still looking forward to quad sli. I know it will suck for another month though but I got a lot of loose money laying around.
edit...just tried running my other card for kicks to see if any miracles happened...nope.. it's officially dead.
Yeah RMA the card it's still within warranty, if they are unable to replace it with an other 7800GTX then they HAVE by law to replace it with something in line with it like a 7900GT card.

FearMeAll
06-19-06, 05:36 AM
Yeah RMA the card it's still within warranty, if they are unable to replace it with an other 7800GTX then they HAVE by law to replace it with something in line with it like a 7900GT card.
yeah I will do that but that doesn't help me with sli. If I do get a replacement I'll probably sell that too.