PDA

View Full Version : Multi Card Reader On Dell 24LCD And Explorer ICons

The Bigman
06-18-06, 05:19 PM
I got a weird question. Can i change the icons to the type of card reader drive in My Computer? My Mothers HP has the nice different icons or SD SM CF SM and exc. I would like to have those too instead of the blan drive icons in My Computer.

Does Dell have icons for these or what can i do to get them to look like the ones the card reader off my moms HP??

leafo
06-18-06, 06:15 PM
Well, the thing on your mother's computer sounds like some 3rd party application that detects what type of media is plugged in, I am not sure about that, probably the multicard reader's software...

But, you can assign icons individually to any mounted drive using an autorun.inf file.

In the root of you storage device, put an icon in there, lets say its name is compact_flash.ico. Then, make a new file (or edit if there is one there already) called autorun.inf. Open it up with note pad and make it look like this:

[autorun]
icon=compact_flash.ico

of course if there is already an autorun.inf file, there is also probably a [autorun] section, so just add the icon line right in the section.

this trick also works with a lot of other stuff, including hard drives, hard drive partitions, cd rom drives, all types of flash drives. Anything that is mounted as a drive in windows this can be done with.

einstein_314
06-18-06, 06:51 PM
Yeah that solution would work. But I think he wants them to show the icons even when there is no card in the reader. My room mates HP has what you are describing. Each of the drives have different icons rather than the generic disk drive icon. To get those, you need some sort of software. My card reader came with some that made all of them have different icons. Only thing is the icons they used are poor. So I don't even bother installing it.

The Bigman
06-18-06, 07:19 PM
That what i mean. Cool i will look for some card reader software via the net.

leafo
06-18-06, 09:51 PM
Yeah that solution would work. But I think he wants them to show the icons even when there is no card in the reader. My room mates HP has what you are describing. Each of the drives have different icons rather than the generic disk drive icon. To get those, you need some sort of software. My card reader came with some that made all of them have different icons. Only thing is the icons they used are poor. So I don't even bother installing it.

I dont see why it would even show anything at all in explorer if there was no card in the reader. Most readers treat their media as plug and play devices, so as soon as you plug them in it mounts the device and pops up in explorer.

Then again, I have never used a multireader like that!

The Bigman
06-19-06, 12:51 AM
I tried the autoplay thingy, no go. There has to be something from Dell for their multi card reader on the side of their screens to give you those icons like that of HP.