PDA

View Full Version : Best MMORPG for me?

Pages : [1] 2

dnewhous
06-18-06, 09:16 PM
My only experience with playing one was Ultima Online Rennaisance way back in the day. I am getting interested again. What I am looking for in a game is a combination of my experience and talking to other people.

I like

1) noncombat skills to play a role in the game
2) for the players to be able to make weapons/armore/clothing of higher quality than what you can find in a store, and that players get experience when they make them.
3) Similarly, to be able to make things from raw materials and then sell them to other players
4) I like bards! My personality leads me to no other option than to choose this character, if available.
5) I prefer to bunny bash solo at first, but from what I hear Everquest II forces you to party up immediately
6) I like the fact that Everquest has big bad ass dragons in it. I even like the fact they have an apocalyptic fellow named "Sleeper" who literally destroys everything for maps around if you wake him up. Everquest II probably does something with this storyline, or has some other similarly dramatic event in it I'm sure.
7) I like the fact that some cities have holidays at times in Final Fantasy XI and that merchants then become available selling items that cannot usually be found in stores.

|MaguS|
06-18-06, 09:24 PM
None... What your basically looking for is Vanguards. It promises to offer some solo play and complete seperate crafting system from adventuring... but the game is way off.

As for current MMORPGs, none give you everything your looking for. EQ2 and Horizons will offer you the crafting system you want while WoW will give you the solo play.

EQ2 as of right now has no connection to the Kerafyrm(Sleeper) storyline as of yet. He was a one time event that many people disliked since only a single guild would ever experiance it. I thankfully was lucky enough to be in one...

But all Fantasy MMORPGs have big ass dragons, the largest I have ever seen being in Lineage 2.

leafo
06-18-06, 11:04 PM
I dont know, that sounds like a good description of what is possible in WoW.

dnewhous
06-18-06, 11:12 PM
Oh, yeah, and I want the crafting system to include enchantment of items. An enchantment system like what you have in Morrowind would be cool.

supra
06-19-06, 12:32 AM
might want to take a look at guildwars.

a12ctic
06-19-06, 01:19 AM
guild wars was lame, i got a whole 12 hours of gameplay out of it

supra
06-19-06, 01:43 AM
guild wars was lame, i got a whole 12 hours of gameplay out of it

wtf is with ur attitude in general dude.

are u ever positive about anything? :p

CaptNKILL
06-19-06, 01:47 AM
are u ever positive about anything? :p
AMD :D:D:D

tacos4me
06-19-06, 01:52 AM
You seem to be describing World of Warcraft! I can give you a serial number for a 10 day free trial, if you wish. :D

I've been playing WoW for two years now, and it is by far the best MMO I've played. Some people might not agree, but I can't get enough of it. There's just so much to do, and so many places to go. There's always your professions (blacksmithing, leatherworking, tailoring, engineering, enchanting.. ect) to work on when you get bored of questing, or whatever. You can always sell your goods on the auction house.

I love the whole "holiday" thing, too, and WoW does a great job with it. The main horde and alliance citys change/add something new pretty much every month, providing there's a major patch. Christmas is probably the best time of year, but Halloween is nice, too. :D

slick
06-19-06, 10:46 AM
wtf is with ur attitude in general dude.

are u ever positive about anything?

He uses Linux.

a12ctic
06-19-06, 10:59 AM
He uses Linux.
haha :dance:

Zelda_fan
06-19-06, 11:52 AM
you would like WoW

Tygerwoody
06-19-06, 12:54 PM
If you are ages 13 and under I would recommend WoW

If you are older than that I would say wait for Vanguard.

lIqUID
06-19-06, 05:12 PM
your crazy, WOW is a great game. Ive been playing since nearly release and have charcters on both factions....I just never get tired of it.

nrdstrm
06-19-06, 07:30 PM
I'd say wait for Vanguard as well. It looks to be a very immersive game with alot of what you talked about to be included. If you must, go ahead and play EQ2 or WOW for now, but definetly keep an eye on VG...As far as EQ2 and lower level soloing, at least when I played, is completely viable. I think I got to around 10 before I started grouping, plus levels 1-4 I think start on the Newbie Island, wich you can completely solo for sure.

dnewhous
06-19-06, 08:36 PM
I think I will wait for Vanguard - and if I get impatient pick up NWN 2. But you really need to be monogamous to get the max benefit from a MMORPG. I am both unable and unwilling to be a gameaholic.

StoNer
06-20-06, 02:49 PM
FFXI is a great game, it has bards an awesome storyline that puts you in the center of it all. Huge monsters at high levels and tons of content.

Theyre implementing Chocobo Breeding next patch where you can breed chocobos and call them in the wild etc.

Oh did I mention bards are litteraly worshipped in ffxi? Great job class to be IMO

U level up fast and people are always willing to help you, and you get songs that do stuff like make you run fast :P. Just be ready to use multiple instruments for different songs. Its pretty complex and tons of fun. And the new expansion pack is awesome with new events like Assault and Besieged.

Tr1cK
06-20-06, 03:01 PM
If you are ages 13 and under I would recommend WoW

If you are older than that I would say wait for Vanguard.

Just wondering as to why you hate WoW?

a12ctic
06-20-06, 03:23 PM
WoW is a GREAT game, but after a few months it gets OLD and leveling gets really boring, the quests are all simular and grinding is no more, by lvl 40 i had gotten so bored i had made a guild to keep me company and had most of the world uncovered on my map and had pretty much every flight path that i could (even the lvl 60 zones). If your worried about little kids ****ing up your game, the horde seems to be much more mature in general, at least from what ive experianced.

Tr1cK
06-20-06, 03:46 PM
WoW is a GREAT game, but after a few months it gets OLD and leveling gets really boring, the quests are all simular and grinding is no more, by lvl 40 i had gotten so bored i had made a guild to keep me company and had most of the world uncovered on my map and had pretty much every flight path that i could (even the lvl 60 zones). If your worried about little kids ****ing up your game, the horde seems to be much more mature in general, at least from what ive experianced.

WoW is a great game IMO too. Horde for life. 60 elemental shaman, 60 feral druid, and 60 mage here. I also have a few other 20s, 30s, and 40s, but after you do the 0 to 60 thing enough, you don't want to do it anymore. The key is to find a great guild that matches your playstyle and focus on one toon that you enjoy playing.

dnewhous
06-20-06, 08:33 PM
WoW is right out. Since I am disqualifying it discussions to its merits should be taken elsewhere. Don't argue with me.

FFXI - can bards make their own instruments? Collect raw materials to make them?

In a related note it is plain that Ultima Online is on its last legs. You can't buy a new copy anymore! Comments are that they appear to be de-emphasizing crafting in favor of munchkinnish treasure hunting in an effort to get more subscribers. They're barking up the wrong tree, you are never going to attract munchkins with an arhaic game engine anyway. They are frittering away their only gimmick. I think they should develop a sequel with a game engine similar to NWN. In fact, why not license Bioware's game engine? NWN sucks as a single player but the game engine is a superb modernization of an isometric perspective.

Tr1cK
06-21-06, 10:22 AM
WoW is right out. Since I am disqualifying it discussions to its merits should be taken elsewhere. Don't argue with me.

You know, that's downright rude of a newcomer that has asked for opinions. You almost practically describe the game to a T throughout your posts, then post that with no supportive arguement. A simple not interested in ANY one of your posts would have been sufficient. Poor attitudes won't get you far here.

|MaguS|
06-21-06, 10:57 AM
You know, that's downright rude of a newcomer that has asked for opinions. You almost practically describe the game to a T throughout your posts, then post that with no supportive arguement. A simple not interested in ANY one of your posts would have been sufficient. Poor attitudes won't get you far here.

Well you are all shoving WoW in his face when he stated that he likes the Bard class and from my knowledge there is no such class in WoW. The game offers nothing for him, especially his favorite class.

If I had to recommend a game for you, dnewhous, I would say Everquest 2. It's not the greatest on the market but it has a decent sized community, everyone is pretty friendly and some great graphics. It does now offer some more solo experiance if you know how to play your class, aswell as offering one of the best crafting systems on the market.

Try it out, you can get the Trial on Fileplanet. Costs nothing and allows you to play as long as you want untill you wish to leave the newbie island.

Tr1cK
06-21-06, 11:12 AM
Well you are all shoving WoW in his face when he stated that he likes the Bard class and from my knowledge there is no such class in WoW. The game offers nothing for him, especially his favorite class.

I posted about it once. It has only been mentioned like 3 times in this thread, no more than any other game. How is that in his face? Besides that, I don't think he will find any game out there that has the 'oldschool' bards like UO had. I had one on UO and cancelled promptly after the huge bard nerf they had. They were simply too overpowered due to the fact that you had a decent chance at provoking max level mobs at lower level skill. EQ2 does have bards, but I'm not sure if that's what he's looking for.

dnewhous
06-21-06, 07:15 PM
I am experienced enough to know when a thread is drifting off course and I don't want an argument over the merits of WoW.