PDA

View Full Version : Unreal2 Mini-review

Chalnoth
02-06-03, 03:58 AM
Well, the graphics are excellent, but we already knew that. The performance overall seems to be mostly similar to Unreal Tournament 2003, but there are a couple of maps with nasty slowdowns.

I really do have to give Legend a lot of credit on the story and voice acting. While it's vastly short of the good RPG's of the past, it sure is a heck of a lot more than any FPS I've played recently had to offer. The voice acting is frequent, and doesn't ever seem to be redundant. Overall I wasn't thrilled with it, but I think it really did add quite a lot to the atmosphere.

The story, just like the voice acting, really wasn't anywhere close to good RPG's, but still was not bad at all. It really helped to give the game a nice atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.

The challenge, at times, seemed to not be very well-balanced. Some parts were very hard, followed by rediculously-easy sections, and so on.

One thing to note is that this is not a game with nonstop action. Personally, I liked it. But if you're looking for a fast-pased shooter where you leap right into the fray, Unreal 2 is not it.

The game is short, but I wasn't really left feeling disappointed.

So, overall, I'd give it a solid "ok" rating. I'd recommend it to people who want a little bit slower action game that actually has a story to it (and not just a premise).

SavagePaladin
02-06-03, 10:48 AM
I agree with that review :)

So far its a good game. I'm playing on the high difficulty cause I've heard its too easy on normal for someone who actually plays FPSes.

(I'm also leaving all the settings at default, cause slowdowns piss me off...and it works great at default :p )

Chalnoth
02-06-03, 10:52 AM
Yes, often it is too easy on Normal. But I have found a few spots that are very challenging...

SavagePaladin
02-06-03, 10:57 AM
That boss on the first act was a bish. If it actually hit me :p Dancin dancin dancin! ahem

(I'm actually not that far yet, just got to Hell)

Chalnoth
02-06-03, 11:45 AM
Hehe...yeah, I thought he was hard at first, too. Then I realized that he's so darned slow that a little grenade launcher is just what the doctor ordered...I find most places in the game like that, actually...just gotta find the right weapon for the job.

demonized
02-06-03, 12:04 PM
i heard the flame thrower on this game looks really good.

saturnotaku
02-06-03, 12:15 PM
I picked up my copy last night. I can't wait to get my replacement vid card.

I could try it now on my laptop, but I cringe when I think about how it's probably going to run. :|

Chalnoth
02-06-03, 12:18 PM
Yes, the flamethrower looks very nice. Doesn't even seem to slow down the framerate any, which alone is very impressive. Surprisingly, of all the weaponry, the only one that I seem to get any slowdowns with is the sniper rifle...on those few maps where I have performance problems, it's with the sniper rifle that they're the worst...

Oh, and for you people who like to snipe, there's a part of a level that's just for you :)

SavagePaladin
02-06-03, 12:27 PM
Speaking of, I wanted to mention to everyone

The load times are really not that bad...AFTER you defrag :p Before they seemed excessive, now they're like...10 seconds or less, seems like.

This assumes you have 512 megs like me, anyway.

|JuiceZ|
02-06-03, 01:37 PM
I've been debating but I guess I'll go ahead and pick up a copy now, gotta use that 6-month old mall gift certificate sometime :o

:p

ad hoc
02-06-03, 02:56 PM
I actually haven't had as much fun with a (singleplayer) FPS, as I've just had with Unreal 2, in a long time.

I don't understand why people are bagging on it so much. Take it as it is: a FPS with a relatively decent story. It's not going to be a first-person version of Baldur's Gate!

Besides, long games tend to bore me after a while. For example Mafia, while a great game as it is, was getting on my nerves around the end of the game with so much driving and doing the same thing. The only thing that kept me going was the story, which was excellent by the way...

It's so hard to find a game these days with addictive gameplay AND a good storyline. I remember I had so much fun with the earlier Final Fantasy series, but even they have gotten repetitive these days. Maybe it's just what happens when you get older: the loss of attention span.

demonized
02-06-03, 03:33 PM
um chalnoth. what card are you using?

fishlung
02-06-03, 04:24 PM
Here's Gamespot's review. (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,472314,00.html)

I don't know. I usually agree with most of their reviews, and if it's a so-so game, not great, but decent, I might go for it.. eventually.

The Baron
02-06-03, 05:01 PM
I COULD use that $50 GameStop gift certificate on U2... or I could wait for MOO3 or SWG, two games which are probably MUCH better.

Then there's Doom 3.

Oi.

willie44
02-06-03, 08:41 PM
Sad to see another much-hyped game get average reviews

Chalnoth
02-07-03, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by demonized
um chalnoth. what card are you using?
Sorry, GeForce4 Ti 4200 with an Athlon XP 2000+ and 512MB of RAM on an Asus A7N8X (nForce2).

I ran at 800x600x32 with 2x AA and 8-degree anisotropic filtering, the same settings I use for UT2k3.

Of all of the games I've played recently, though, this is the one that has cried out the most for a better graphics card. The cutscenes in particular really were begging for higher resolution and/or better antialiasing.

AngelGraves13
02-07-03, 02:10 AM
I have a problem with the game. I go to load game and it loads but it says "Paused" and I hit pause and it won't un-pause. I tried everything even checked to see if the key works on my keyboard and it works fine. SO therefore I can't save the game because it won't un-pause after loading it. Nice going Epic!! You call this a "gold" release? bronze at least!!!!!!!

Chalnoth
02-07-03, 02:28 AM
There was one reviewer that noted some wierdness as well. The game looked very solid to me. I would suggest first attempting to reinstall the game, to ensure that you don't have a corrupted installation (if you still have problems, but different problems, try copying the files to the hard drive then reinstalling).

AngelGraves13
02-07-03, 02:52 PM
I fixed the problem....seemed it was the 42.86 drivers causing lots of problems for me. I installed the 41.04 and it runs perfectly. It doesn't run smooth as hell, but it runs smooth most of the time. I'm running it at 1600X1200 with no aa and no af and on a P3 800 Mhz. I have only DeadAIM and some nvidia crap load at startup and keep my system clean of crap and defragment daily with Diskeeper. Once I get my P4 and RAID config up I'll be enjoying the game nicely on my Geforce 4. If I see a Geforce FX in Fry's I'm buying it!!

-=DVS=-
02-07-03, 04:15 PM
Well finally i got Unreal 2 also sweet :D

My little review: plays good on my main setup ( in doors with alot monster over 60 FPS ) the one in my sign ;) game slows down to below 30 FPS though in outdoors with alot of snow dropeing and or in very heavy fights with alot of people monsters ( i guess this game as all Unreal engines based games ARE CPU LIMITED :( ) anyway allround very good graphics not DOOM3 but very nice indeed hopefully more developers will use this engine or similar :rolleyes: .

On my second system AthlonXp 1900+ and Geforce 4 4400Ti , unreal ran like crap :( with half lower detail , either 1600MHZ is not enough or GF4 is to weak :p ( indoors bearly over 30 FPS around 15 - 25 in fight bah..)

uhh and these FPS Radeon 9700pro with AA and AF , and GF4 without any :eek:

Back to game , story is good IMO , fun to play also ;)

-=DVS=-
02-07-03, 04:21 PM
Hmm maybe my second rig needs to try different drivers or perhapse 256 megs of ram wasn't enough :eek2:

Chalnoth
02-07-03, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Hmm maybe my second rig needs to try different drivers or perhapse 256 megs of ram wasn't enough :eek2:
Yeah, the 256MB may not be enough. Speaking of which, memory prices have been going down again recently!