PDA

View Full Version : HD-DVD and Blu-Ray drives?

six_storm
06-20-06, 01:43 AM
I was at work tonight, being bored as usual, and thought what was I going to do once I bought my new TV? Like, what was the next big thing to save up for? I got to thinking about any kind of add-ons to my home theater project and obviously, the whole HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats came to mind.

It would be very expensive to have both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players ($1,000+) so what would be a better solution? I've always wanted to build a media center PC but I've been waiting to see if Apple would roll out with anything worth looking at . . . but I guess a Windows Media Center PC would do alright, especially if it wasn't hooked up to the internet.

So, my question is when are the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray drives going to be available to buy? I think it would be a cheaper solution to either make a media center equipped with both drives or buy both in external form for my iMac/iBook.

What do you guys think? Anybody heard anything about companies rolling out the external or internal drives anytime soon?

MustangSVT
06-20-06, 03:02 AM
Problem is that the first roll of drives (the set top ones) that come around will suck. Look at the Toshiba A1-HD or whatever it's called, the HD-DVD drive that came out. Apparently takes like 45 sec just to start, and it makes a fair amount of noise and it's huge as ****. And it's $500 on top of that.

The reported price of Blu-Ray drives will be like $1500 apparently for the SONY one. Heard of some other one that's gonna be $1000. Way too expensive.

I am personally waiting for the internal drives. Maybe one that will support both. Then I could like do DVI to HDMI out from my video card to a 720p/1080p HDTV in the same room as my computer.

superklye
06-20-06, 09:08 AM
I thought it was illegal/not possible to have combo drives?

six_storm
06-20-06, 02:21 PM
I thought it was illegal/not possible to have combo drives?

Haha. You know they wouldn't make the drives for PCs if that was illegal. I wanna see some external drives!

superklye
06-20-06, 02:52 PM
Haha. You know they wouldn't make the drives for PCs if that was illegal. I wanna see some external drives!
Heh, well, I thought both camps were adamant about not letting their technology being paired up with the other's. I'm just saying I thought I heard that, that's all.

Xasz
06-20-06, 03:14 PM
Part of the Blu-Ray license agreement stipulates that the technology cannot be used in a combo drive.

superklye
06-20-06, 03:45 PM
Part of the Blu-Ray license agreement stipulates that the technology cannot be used in a combo drive.
Thanks. :)

OWA
06-20-06, 04:59 PM
I'd wait. The first gen HD-DVD drives are about half the price of a blu-ray drive but it doesn't support 1080p and the first blu-ray drive is really expensive. The blu-ray drives will probably stay that way until Sony and Pioneer bring their drives to the market.

Basically I'm just repeating what I read here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1977327,00.asp

six_storm
06-21-06, 02:01 AM
I'm not talking about a universal drive . . . but two seperate drives.

agentkay
06-21-06, 06:06 AM
I'm not talking about a universal drive . . . but two seperate drives.

In a PC? That shouldn´t be a problem at all.

six_storm
06-21-06, 10:51 AM
In a PC? That shouldn´t be a problem at all.

Exactly! And . . . it should be cheaper than buying both players for your home theater too. I'd actually rather buy two external drives and connect them to my iMac - > TV just because that would be another rig in the apartment.

OWA
06-21-06, 01:17 PM
Someone should tell Samsung. :)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32554

Looks like LG is also doing a combo drive (from the Tech Report):

If Samsung chooses to introduce a hybrid player, it will join LG as one of the first manufacturers to unite the two formats. Three months ago, LG disclosed that it had a hybrid Blu-ray/HD-DVD player in the pipeline for a release in the fall. This type of convergence may bode well for consumers, but neither LG nor Samsung seems to have indicated a price range for their hybrid players. Considering the $1,000 launch price for Samsung's upcoming BD-P1000 Blu-ray player and the $461-499.99 street price of Toshiba's HD-DVD player, hybrid models may not be cheap.

Xasz
06-22-06, 05:42 PM
Something must have changed since January of this year, then.

http://news.com.com/A+DVD+combo+Dont+hold+your+breath/2100-1041_3-6024875.html

But the conflict goes far deeper. The rules that govern the organizations touting the different technologies currently bar manufacturers from combining the two standards into a single drive, Weedfald said.

Dazz
06-22-06, 05:44 PM
Is'nt it Pioneer that is working on a combo standard?