PDA

View Full Version : The Sims: video card choice?

Gator
02-06-03, 07:30 AM
My girlfriend loves to play The Sims, but she is getting very poor framerates. She has an AXP1700, ECS K7S5A, 256DDR, ATI Rage Fury Pro 32meg AGP (Rage128 Pro chipset). She's not into any other games really.

Which card would you recommend for her system to make the game run nice and smooth. Dont say TI4600, the object here is to spend as little money as possible while still getting the The Sims some good FPS.

note: I won't buy her R8500, R9000, or R9100 because I had a TERRIBLE experience with my K7S5A and the R8500 series.

here is a pic i saved from 3dmark to help you all choose:
http://www.ishumor.com/cc.jpg

nin_fragile14
02-06-03, 08:25 AM
I wasn't aware that it really mattered what video card you have for running The Sims. I thought it was all CPU-dependent. However, if she's running a 1700+ and getting bad framerates, I'm probably wrong. If you don't want to purchase those specific ATI cards, you could try a 9500 or 9500 Pro, or a TI 4200.

If you just want to see "what works", try putting your own videocard in her system and see if it improves performance.

Smokey
02-06-03, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Gator
The object here is to spend as little money as possible while still getting the The Sims some good FPS.

GF3 Ti200, GF3 or GF3Ti500.

ragejg
02-06-03, 10:18 AM
It runs BEAUTIFULLY on a GF2 ti... seriously...
It runs the same (almost exactly) on a GF4mx
It runs barely any better on a GF3

Y'know, it doesn't even run bad on a TNT2 m64 PCI..

Smokey
02-06-03, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ragejg
It runs BEAUTIFULLY on a GF2 ti... seriously...
It runs the same (almost exactly) on a GF4mx
It runs barely any better on a GF3

Y'know, it doesn't even run bad on a TNT2 m64 PCI..

Very true, but a gf3 is an upgrade looking forward a bit more than a gf2, the gf2 should be able to run the sims fine though, even a gf1ddr should.

Gator
02-06-03, 12:05 PM
ideally I'd get her a GF4TI4200 or R9500, but it was a little more than I wanted to spend. Would a GF4MX be good enough? I want her to have SMOOTH gameplay. Would the sdram model be a bad choice, should I spend the extra 10-15 bucks for the DDR verisons?

ragejg
02-06-03, 01:12 PM
sdram=latency=stutter

...IMO

If you want a decent XFX DDR GF4MX440 that's not OC'ed, I can hook you up... and I also happen to have a GF3 ti200 that I don't want much for.

YGPM.

chigger_ns
03-03-03, 08:51 AM
I agree with gator!!!!!!
Hes tha bomb!

sytaylor
03-03-03, 12:25 PM
MX 440s are way cheap, theyre ideal for someone who would never dream of touchin an FPS or driving simulator

Chalnoth
03-03-03, 01:34 PM
If the Sims is having problems, and it's due to the video card, it's purely because of poor drivers (I think nin's right...try placing your own video card in her system as a test). Get any nVidia card (even a TNT would do just fine) to fix this, or the problem should also be fixed with any newer ATI card (Radeon+).

The only other possible culprit would be backround applications. Sometimes they are a bit demanding of system resources for very short periods of time. See what she has running in the background. Another possible culprit lies in the amount of installed memory. How much memory does she have installed? Have you checked memory usage while The Sims is running? Personally, I would think all of these are more likely than it being the video card. I don't have much respect for ATI's drivers, but I don't think they're really that bad.

stncttr908
03-03-03, 09:47 PM
Back in the day (a few years ago, maybe 3?) when I actually played this game it ran fine on my Savage4. I don't know how she could be getting bad fps with that game. Even a GF2MX would do the job for it.