View Full Version : Follow-up comments from Carmark on NV30

jAkUp
02-06-03, 11:41 AM
check it out here:
http://www.beyond3d.com/interviews/jcnv30r300/index.php?p=2

Viper118
02-06-03, 09:47 PM
Coolness.

I really hope we get some sort of D3 demo in the next few months.

lukar
02-06-03, 11:06 PM
Good News!

jAkUp
02-07-03, 06:36 PM
im hoping for a demo too... but according to that interview with carmack, it seems that hes siding a little more with nvidia

MacSlow
02-07-03, 10:58 PM
... if you ask me. I still regard the leaked Doom3-demo as very cheap cheating by ATi to put something out, that would require a Radeon 9700 to "play" properly. Thus fueling the need in people to buy a Radeon 9700, while it can savely be regarded as a complete overkill in rendering power for today's 3d-apps and games (officially released ones).

I would feel rather pissed too, if a company betrays my trust in them, just to play advertising tricks on my back. ATi should have been thankful for the fact that id software told the public that the demo at E3 was running on the R300.

Just my 2/100.

Best regards...

MacSlow

ErrorS
02-08-03, 09:25 AM
uh these arent school children fighting over who gets to be whose friend..

and its not about holding grudges because little jimmy threw sand in little bobby's face last schoolyear ..

AngelGraves13
02-10-03, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by MacSlow
... if you ask me. I still regard the leaked Doom3-demo as very cheap cheating by ATi to put something out, that would require a Radeon 9700 to "play" properly. Thus fueling the need in people to buy a Radeon 9700, while it can savely be regarded as a complete overkill in rendering power for today's 3d-apps and games (officially released ones).

I would feel rather pissed too, if a company betrays my trust in them, just to play advertising tricks on my back. ATi should have been thankful for the fact that id software told the public that the demo at E3 was running on the R300.

Just my 2/100.

Best regards...

MacSlow

the sad thing about the R300 and R350 is that they won't let Carmack program as much as the Geforce FX does. ATI has the crown, but they're just learning how to be in control. If only the ATI cards were more programmable then Carmack wouldn't run into the limits of the card like with the R300.

Steppy
02-10-03, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by 99 to Life
the sad thing about the R300 and R350 is that they won't let Carmack program as much as the Geforce FX does. ATI has the crown, but they're just learning how to be in control. If only the ATI cards were more programmable then Carmack wouldn't run into the limits of the card like with the R300. I think he's running into the limits testing different things(ie trying some more theorhetical stuff, not stuff going into doom 3). It shouldn't be THAT hard to do actually. From all indications though, once your shading programs are getting that large they're too slow to be feasible with current hardware.

Chalnoth
02-10-03, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Steppy
From all indications though, once your shading programs are getting that large they're too slow to be feasible with current hardware.
Not if the higher-detail shaders are only applied to small regions of the screen. It's all about balancing performance.

StealthHawk
02-10-03, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by 99 to Life
the sad thing about the R300 and R350 is that they won't let Carmack program as much as the Geforce FX does. ATI has the crown, but they're just learning how to be in control. If only the ATI cards were more programmable then Carmack wouldn't run into the limits of the card like with the R300.

they're called tradeoffs. nvidia focused more on programmability and not on FSAA/AF. ATI chose to go for more immediate IQ gains and less programmability.

AngelGraves13
02-10-03, 05:24 PM
exactly my point......ATI was thinking of winning the market for today. Nvidia was thinking of the market for tomorrow.

ReDeeMeR
02-10-03, 05:56 PM
No, Nvidia didnt expect ATi to comeup with such a force, they thought they will just make Nv30 with weak memory/bandwith so later they can just easily add 256bit bus or something increasing bandwith and sell it as FX 2, just like with Geforce 3, but it didnt work that way, they wanted to suck off the customers easily but ATi took a chance and Nvidia realized they need to pull their fingers outta the unproper place and nv30 is canned.
Nv35 "should be" power house tho, or atleast that's what everyone is expecting now anyway.

StealthHawk
02-10-03, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by ReDeeMeR
No, Nvidia didnt expect ATi to comeup with such a force, they thought they will just make Nv30 with weak memory/bandwith so later they can just easily add 256bit bus or something increasing bandwith and sell it as FX 2, just like with Geforce 3, but it didnt work that way, they wanted to suck off the customers easily but ATi took a chance and Nvidia realized they need to pull their fingers outta the unproper place and nv30 is canned.
Nv35 "should be" power house tho, or atleast that's what everyone is expecting now anyway.

yeah, well we heard the same thing about gfFXUltra and that it would beat out r9700Pro by 30% across the board. didn't happen. i wouldn't doubt NV35 will beat R350, but not R400.