PDA

View Full Version : 79xx Series with major problem..Ticking Time Bomb.

Pages : [1] 2

K007
06-21-06, 03:49 AM
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

After reading that..going over the forums..it seems 7900 has some real problems...i am thinking of actually holding off.i really dont want a bugged up card that ****s up on me after a few weeks cause the card was design to be ****ed up :/...

Reason i am asking this is because if i come across a problem..its not gonna get fixed for atleast 2-3 weeks..because thats how slow **** works here in Australia.

Wolfhound
06-21-06, 04:03 AM
No problems at all

K007
06-21-06, 04:46 AM
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=477750

Great...i have a feeling my 7900GT is going to be a ticking bomb.

The problem occurs after much use and time. O/C or stock...its a problem with Nvidia.

This really frustrating..i am about to cancel my full pc upgrade till this is fixed..there is no way..in HELL i am paying for a card at this price for it to explode and have a 2-3 week wait for just to get a replace...i mean..shut down my PC...thats like..take me off my life support or something.

(PS:This new rig i am getting is pci-e..so i have a agp 6800gt..and i am reusing the case.)

Maverickman
06-21-06, 06:01 AM
I've seen this article before. It's simply a matter of overclocking. There is no "time bomb" here as mentioned in this post. The cooling solution of the 7900 can't handle the overclocks from the manufacturers. After all, the 7900's fan is the same as the 7600. There is no design flaw with the 7900.

K007
06-21-06, 06:14 AM
to be safe i went with the gtx verison..the extra ram will still help smooth the game out though the fps might go up i still wont have to o/c the card since its a powerhouse already.

Yea i did alot of google reading and it seems its a tad bit old news, but whats sad is some of the faulty cards are left in circulation...which is pretty gay.

I am going with the Leadtek 7900GTX. Non O/C..looks like a good heatsink too so no point getting the zalman one.

PeterJensen
06-21-06, 07:17 AM
I'm getting my Inno3d 7900GT today so i dont hope i get probems :(

Superfly
06-21-06, 07:38 AM
I'm getting my Inno3d 7900GT today so i dont hope i get probems :(

I thought you were waiting for the next gen????

you do know that another 76GT would have been cheaper and faster than 1 79Gt dont you??

Richteralan
06-21-06, 08:02 AM
Never had problems with my BFG 7900GT OC
Had tons of problems with my eVGA 7900GT Signature Series

This may give you some ideas;)

Riptide
06-21-06, 08:25 AM
There are people @ [H] who have had problems with cards that weren't overclocked. Some have even put VF700/900 coolers on the cards and it hasn't helped. It's not necessarily a temperature issue and it looks like enough people are being affected by this that some of the manufacturers have taken notice and actually acknowledged there is a problem. Evga was one I think.

PeterJensen
06-21-06, 01:22 PM
I thought you were waiting for the next gen????

you do know that another 76GT would have been cheaper and faster than 1 79Gt dont you??

I could not help my self :( Also they 7900GT came real cheap.

OWA
06-21-06, 01:34 PM
There are people @ [H] who have had problems with cards that weren't overclocked. Some have even put VF700/900 coolers on the cards and it hasn't helped. It's not necessarily a temperature issue and it looks like enough people are being affected by this that some of the manufacturers have taken notice and actually acknowledged there is a problem. Evga was one I think.
You mean the post where a guy said he had info from eVGA saying there was a problem only to have eVGA respond back saying the guy was just making a wild guess? I think they refuted his entire post but it has been a while since I read it.

Edit: Here's the link to the response from a while back: http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15800

Stevedroid
06-21-06, 01:45 PM
That's an older article and in IMHO it's crap that's just trying to spread FUD. I've already commented on it before so I'll just paste in the most pertinent part:

"I know that there are an elevated number of GeForce 7900 failures in the field among overclocked retail video cards"

Based on what data? Where's the proof? Forum posts? That's hardly concrete data. For all we know the problem rate among 7900GTs is typical of 3D cards. The 7900GTs sold like hot cakes, the couple dozen posts of people having problems may be a tiny percentage of the overall market of 7900GTs out there. People don't join forums just to post "my card is working fine", so you get this unrealistic perception because you only see the people having problems. It's like the same problem with judging how buggy a game is by a forum. I mean go to the Oblivion forums and you'd think Oblivion is the buggiest game in the world, but as a percentage of the overall players based on the game's sales, the people having serious problems is just a drop in the ocean, and for the vast majority of people the game works fine.

Anyway I'm not saying the 7900GTs don't have problems, because I'd be making the same bullcrap assumptions as the author of that article, I just mean to point out how totally bogus some of the statements in that article are. Wait till they get some real proof until you start worrying if you got a bad card.

Riptide
06-21-06, 01:49 PM
I can just as easily speculate and say that there might be a lot of people who've had issues but haven't found the forums. You are assuming that if they have a problem they'll instantly show up in a forum somewhere.

Riptide
06-21-06, 01:51 PM
You mean the post where a guy said he had info from eVGA saying there was a problem only to have eVGA respond back saying the guy was just making a wild guess?
Take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029572613&postcount=31

ViN86
06-21-06, 02:13 PM
i wouldnt worry about it too much. i think early releases were more of the problem than the actual hardware. updates and newer revisions have led to more stable cards.

you gotta remember that these new cards are on a 90nm process, allowing them to run faster and cooler compared to previous generations.

Stevedroid
06-21-06, 06:29 PM
I can just as easily speculate and say that there might be a lot of people who've had issues but haven't found the forums. You are assuming that if they have a problem they'll instantly show up in a forum somewhere.
No I did not say or assuming anything like that, and I welcome you to point out where I did. Try to refrain from putting words in my mouth please.

Anyway I'm not saying the 7900GTs don't have problems, because I'd be making the same bullcrap assumptions as the author of that article, I just mean to point out how totally bogus some of the statements in that article are. Wait till they get some real proof until you start worrying if you got a bad card.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't get all bent out of shape worrying if you made a bad purchase because of that article since it's offers dubious evidence to support its claims.

Riptide
06-21-06, 06:36 PM
No I did not say or assuming anything like that, and I welcome you to point out where I did. Try to refrain from putting words in my mouth please.
the couple dozen posts of people having problems may be a tiny percentage of the overall market of 7900GTs out there.
My response served to point out that the opposite may just as easily be true.

Have I misunderstood you?

Stevedroid
06-21-06, 06:46 PM

My response served to point out that the opposite may just as easily be true.

Have I misunderstood you?
Sorry, perhaps it is I who have misunderstood. I read your post as you saying that I stated the 7900GTs don't have problems, which wasn't the case.

In any case, yes the opposite could be true, but that just further exemplifies that forums can not really be considered a factual and reliable gauge for the failure rate of a piece of hardware, which was my main point.

crainger
06-21-06, 06:53 PM
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

After reading that..going over the forums..it seems 7900 has some real problems...i am thinking of actually holding off.i really dont want a bugged up card that ****s up on me after a few weeks cause the card was design to be ****ed up :/...

Reason i am asking this is because if i come across a problem..its not gonna get fixed for atleast 2-3 weeks..because thats how slow **** works here in Australia.

I waited 6 months when my 6800GT died. But it was worth it

SLippe
06-21-06, 08:00 PM
Funny. I've never had a problem with my 7900 GT. Kind of strange that you went with the GTX, since those have way more problems than the GT versions. Good luck.

Question; Why did you make this post if you went ahead and bought one anyways?

Rytr
06-21-06, 09:06 PM
I have had the GT in my sig since Feb and it has been on 4 different motherboards with different processors, ram, and psu's and I never declocked it. It is factory overclocked and most of the time I have ran it at 572/1.7 like it is now. I enjoy playing Oblivion with CaptNKILL's texture mods at 16x12 on a P225f. I am tempted to pick up another 'ticking time bomb' and run at 1920x1440.

ViN86
06-22-06, 07:56 AM
this thread is just like the ATI slideshow that claimed that the 7800GTX512 cards were going to die like 3 months after installation.

yea, so how did that theory work out? :rolleyes:

a12ctic
06-22-06, 07:59 AM
this thread is just like the ATI slideshow that claimed that the 7800GTX512 cards were going to die like 3 months after installation.

yea, so how did that theory work out? :rolleyes:
[rage3d]
YA WELL YOUR IQ ISNT AS GOOD!!!
[rage3d]

ViN86
06-22-06, 09:06 AM
[rage3d]
YA WELL YOUR IQ ISNT AS GOOD!!!
[rage3d]
:lol2:

Quijonsith
06-22-06, 05:29 PM
I'm about sick of these "the sky is falling" threads. Has anyone tried reading the customer reviews? There aren't as many forum browsers posting these reviews as non forum browsers. Here's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16814130281) a link to newegg's customer review page for the basic 7900GT CO from EVGA. Out of 201 votes 158(78.61%) were 5 star, 17(8.46%) 4 star, 10(4.98%) 3 star, and 8(3.98%) each for 2 and 1 star. Here's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16814130015) similar review results for the KO edition. I can't find the specific review atm, but one person who rated it 1 or 2 stars said the card worked fine but that it was advertised with a memory clock speed of 1500 and coolbits only shows 750 and he's going to RMA. What's almost sadder is that 2 people had found said review helpful.