PDA

View Full Version : Prey Demo and Info

Pages : [1] 2 3

shungokusatsu
06-21-06, 11:48 AM
Just a heads up, the Prey demo will be available at 9pm pst today. Gamespot.com will be the first to have the demo, shortly after many other sites should have the demo and mirrors up as well. Prey uses a heavily modified Doom 3 engine, and should be the perfect tool to test those new video cards for recent buyers. The demo will have an hour of gameplay, feature both single and multiplayer, and should weigh in at ~ 500 megs. It will be available for both PC and Xbox 360.

Visit the official site for more info: Prey (http://www.prey.com/)

Here's some links to where you'll be able to get your hands on the demo:

Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/promos/2006/prey-demo/index.html?tag=prey_psbox_hp)

GamersHell (http://www.gamershell.com/)

FileShack (http://www.fileshack.com/)

FileFront (http://www.filefront.com/)

3D Gamers (http://www.3dgamers.com/)

Screens/Movies: Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/prey/index.html?q=prey), IGN (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/008/008926/imgs_1.html)

HD Trailers and more: Gametrailers (http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=1918)

System Requirements:

Minimum

CPU Speed: Intel Pentium 4 2.0Ghz / AMD Athlon XP 2000+ processor
RAM: 512MB system RAM
Video Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB video card with latest manufacturer drivers (see supported chipsets below)
Drive: 8X CD-ROM (standard edition), DVD-ROM (Limited Collector?s Edition)
Hard Drive: 2.2GB of uncompressed free hard drive space
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP with latest service pack installed
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (included on disc)

Recommended

CPU Speed: Intel Pentium 4 2.5Ghz / AMD Athlon XP 2500+ processor
RAM: 1GB system RAM
Video Card: ATI Radeon X800 series or higher video card with latest manufacturer drivers
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series sound card
Internet: Broadband internet connection or LAN required for multiplayer

Supported Video Card Chipsets

ATI:
ATI Radeon 9600 series, ATI Radeon 9700 series, ATI Radeon 9800 series, ATI Radeon X300 series, ATI Radeon X550 series, ATI Radeon X600 series, ATI Radeon X700 series, ATI Radeon X800 series, ATI Radeon X1300 series, ATI Radeon X1600 series, ATI Radeon X1800 series, ATI Radeon X1900 series, or better with latest manufacturer drivers. NVIDIA:
NVIDIA GeForce3/Ti series, NVIDIA GeForce4/Ti, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 5900 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series, or better with latest manufacturer drivers.

PREY takes full advantage of the Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ sound card. PREY supports OpenAL hardware acceleration, EAX® ADVANCED HD™ 5.0 features of 4 reverberation effects at once, and uses Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XRAM feature to load audio samples on the cards with 64 megs of RAM. For more information on the benefits of having one of the

I'll post more mirrors when the demo's available, feel free to add mirrors/links if you find them, thanks.

shungokusatsu
06-21-06, 12:05 PM
I hope it will run smooth at 2560 with my two cards^^ I don't go quad until DX10 :)
Can't say for sure at that resolution, best test is to try Doom 3 v1.3 and/or Quake 4 v1.2 at those resolutions and see what happens. Seeing how they use the same engine it should be a sufficient test :D Prey uses some crazy stuff, the gravity field changes completely flipping the entire screen sideways or upside down and wall walking can get intense but I have a feeling you'll be fine.

|MaguS|
06-21-06, 12:06 PM
Why are you posting it here? Why not the games forum?

shungokusatsu
06-21-06, 12:16 PM
My mistake I should have posted in the games forums, it'll be moved shortly I'm sure. And yes the flipping on a 3007 is gonna be nuts, I hope it supports WS. I have a 3007 but it's way too close on my desk, it can at times make me sick or give me a headache, panning from side to side to see everything. I had to put it in another room until I either get a new desk or move my rig. I'll def be moving my stuff temp if it does support WS which I'm sure it will.

Delbert
06-21-06, 12:22 PM
it say's it takes full advantage of the 64Meg on the XFi card. Is it the first game to do so ? looking for those with the card to post impressions... thnx

jAkUp
06-21-06, 12:26 PM
This and Quake4 take advanatge of the 64MB on the X-Fi.

shungokusatsu
06-21-06, 12:28 PM
it say's it takes full advantage of the 64Meg on the XFi card. Is it the first game to do so ? looking for those with the card to post impressions... thnx

No, so far only BF2 and Quake 4 use the Xram with the latest patches installed.

jAkUp
06-21-06, 12:33 PM
BF2 does? I know it takes advantage of X-Fi capabilities, but from what I understand it actually does not use X-Ram.

shungokusatsu
06-21-06, 12:35 PM
BF2 does? I know it takes advantage of X-Fi capabilities, but from what I understand it actually does not use X-Ram.

Ya, according to reviews and the creative forums, with the latest patch it uses Xram now. According to the creative forums, it's required to run Ultra HQ Sound in options, without the Xram this option causes performance slowdowns.

einstein_314
06-21-06, 12:54 PM
That's what I thought too...Although maybe with the latest patch? I would think that would be a huge change though for a patch. I mean, they'd have to redo a lot (I would think anyways) for it to use the XRAM.

But yeah, Quake4 so far is the only other game that uses it. I can't wait!! This is going to rock on my new 24" monitor :D Bring it on!!

jAkUp
06-21-06, 12:56 PM
Also guys, if you have an X-Fi, make sure you have the latest beta drivers from Creative. Supposly it fixes some issues specifically for Prey.

shungokusatsu
06-21-06, 12:57 PM
That's what I thought too...Although maybe with the latest patch? I would think that would be a huge change though for a patch. I mean, they'd have to redo a lot (I would think anyways) for it to use the XRAM.

But yeah, Quake4 so far is the only other game that uses it. I can't wait!! This is going to rock on my new 24" monitor :D Bring it on!!

Ya, the patch is around 440megs, but I can't find anything in the readme about the Xram.

einstein_314
06-21-06, 03:43 PM
Ya, the patch is around 440megs, but I can't find anything in the readme about the Xram.
I can't find anything about the XRAM either. And yeah the patch is 435MB, but that's because it includes all previous patches...the incremental (1.2 >1.3) is *only* 83MB. I don't understand why their patches are so frikkin huge. I mean, some games have like 5 MB patches. What's with the 430MB?!? Oh yeah, right, it's EA. Lots of bugs to fix. :D

Also guys, if you have an X-Fi, make sure you have the latest beta drivers from Creative. Supposly it fixes some issues specifically for Prey.

Those would be the ones that came out a couple of weeks ago? I think...2.09.0001?

shungokusatsu
06-21-06, 03:51 PM
I can't find anything about the XRAM either. And yeah the patch is 435MB, but that's because it includes all previous patches...the incremental (1.2 >1.3) is *only* 83MB. I don't understand why their patches are so frikkin huge. I mean, some games have like 5 MB patches. What's with the 430MB?!? Oh yeah, right, it's EA. Lots of bugs to fix. :D

Those would be the ones that came out a couple of weeks ago? I think...2.09.0001?

Just go to creative.com and use the software autoupdate feature, it'll tell you what you need and if your up to date and what not. Have you seen EA's new slogon? "EA Games, BUY Everything" :D

shungokusatsu
06-21-06, 08:53 PM
2 more hours :headbang:

SH64
06-21-06, 09:48 PM
2 more hours :headbang:
Cool! :D

shungokusatsu
06-21-06, 09:50 PM
Cool! :D

Make that 1 more hour :D I feel bad for 360 owners who've been waiting, 3D Realms CEO just annoucned MS screwed them again and just founfout the demo is having issues with 360. It won't be available anytime soon for 360.

Xion X2
06-21-06, 10:15 PM
It's going to be a heavily modified version of the Doom 3 and Quake 4 engines, plus some crazy physics, so just because you can run those prior games doesn't mean you'll be able to run this one smoothly. Heck, I could run those on my X850XT at 60+ FPS w/ all settings maxed. Not this game. This will make my 7900GTX flex its muscles a little.

Prey is a different animal altogether. If you've seen the videos then you know what I mean. 7900 series and above single cards shouldn't have a problem, and SLi's shouldn't have a problem (but enjoy your screen-tearing ;) ).

OrangeBlast
06-21-06, 11:11 PM
hrm...its 9:08 PST and still no prey demo.

what gives?

OWA
06-21-06, 11:13 PM
hrm...its 9:08 PST and still no prey demo.

what gives?

Oops, quoted the wrong post. It's at download.com.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=918621&postcount=89

OrangeBlast
06-21-06, 11:16 PM
nothing says sweet like download.com at 50k/s!

OWA
06-21-06, 11:33 PM
nothing says sweet like download.com at 50k/s!
Yeah, I joined Gamespot just to get a better download speed. I'm currently downloading at 540+ k/sec but of course, it cost like $40 for a year of access. It included two magazine subscriptions though so I guess it isn't too bad.

Apollo 13
06-22-06, 12:56 AM
It's going to be a heavily modified version of the Doom 3 and Quake 4 engines, plus some crazy physics, so just because you can run those prior games doesn't mean you'll be able to run this one smoothly. Heck, I could run those on my X850XT at 60+ FPS w/ all settings maxed. Not this game. This will make my 7900GTX flex its muscles a little.

Prey is a different animal altogether. If you've seen the videos then you know what I mean. 7900 series and above single cards shouldn't have a problem, and SLi's shouldn't have a problem (but enjoy your screen-tearing ;) ).

im sure 6800 and above will run this game just fine. Why would a game company make a game to only play good on 7900 series cards only.

Shamrock
06-22-06, 02:29 AM
no respect for Dialup anymore...ALL those sites refuse download managers :(

|MaguS|
06-22-06, 02:35 AM
no respect for Dialup anymore...ALL those sites refuse download managers :(

Fileplanet has their own download manager.