PDA

View Full Version : Here goes EA again...

nrdstrm
06-21-06, 01:43 PM
EA is buying Mythic (Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online)...

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2006Jun/bga20060621036982.htm

Discuss...

Superfly
06-21-06, 01:45 PM
Sad

|MaguS|
06-21-06, 01:48 PM
Good, Maybe they will have the finances now to actually market their games better... DOAC was good but not many knew about it so it never got the population it deserved.

EA can be a great company when they don't control every part of the studio... which saddly isn't always the case. But we never know, they could treat Mythic like they treat Criterion and Tiburon, which they allow alot of freedom most of the time.

Ok, all you EA haters can spout your crap now...

Namrok
06-21-06, 02:09 PM
Hearing about EA buying a company is like hearing about a kid that died. All that potential, lost to the gaping maw of EA. Forever doomed to pound out soulless sequel after licensed lumped after soulless sequel.

Given that EAs interest in this company seems to be their upcoming Warhammer MMO, because EA has its guns aimed at WoW, EA will undoubtedly use a very heavy handed management approach and ruin everything.

GamerGuyX
06-21-06, 02:17 PM
Ok, all you EA haters can spout your crap now...

Haters for a reason. ;)

|MaguS|
06-21-06, 02:25 PM
Haters for a reason. ;)

Because they produce games that sell millions and do what any other company with their financial backing would do to keep an edge over their competitors?

Before you bitch about their 30th madden release, bitch about the idiots who continue to buy them even with minor updates.

Before anyone says how EA is going to ruin Mythic, read the dam article. It clearly states that the founder of Mythic is staying with the studio and will mantain full control of it. I dout EA will do anything that would derail their current plans if they truly wish to make the profits that Vivendi does with WoW.

Namrok
06-21-06, 02:37 PM
Because they produce games that sell millions and do what any other company with their financial backing would do to keep an edge over their competitors?

Before you bitch about their 30th madden release, bitch about the idiots who continue to buy them even with minor updates.

Before anyone says how EA is going to ruin Mythic, read the dam article. It clearly states that the founder of Mythic is staying with the studio and will mantain full control of it. I dout EA will do anything that would derail their current plans if they truly wish to make the profits that Vivendi does with WoW.

I don't see where it says in THAT article that the founder is staying and has full controler. Link me to one where it does?

I won't bitch about Madden. I'll bitch about how they rushed and killed Ultima, canned Wing Commander, Dungeon Keeper & Populous, and ran some of my favorite gaming companies (Origin & Bullfrog) into the ground. Maybe they've ammended their management practices...but I have a hard time beleiving it.

|MaguS|
06-21-06, 02:57 PM
I don't see where it says in THAT article that the founder is staying and has full controler. Link me to one where it does?

Ultima killed itself... Ever play Ultima Acension?

Since you lack reading skills, here you go...

Read more at GameDaily Biz.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=13019

When and if the acquisition is completed, Mark Jacobs, currently the President and CEO of Mythic, will become Vice President and General Manager of EA Mythic. Rob Denton, who is the Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Mythic will assume the role of Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of EA Mythic. Mythic's entire 175-person development team will remain in Fairfax, Virginia.

Namrok
06-21-06, 03:13 PM
Ultima killed itself... Ever play Ultima Acension?

Since you lack reading skills, here you go...

Yeah, different article, I don't see what it was that I read poorly?

At any rate, Ultima was forced out by management, and the storyline was altered by management, and basically they got in there and messed up it. Read the developer journals, and read about the game they WANTED to make but that management wouldn't let them.

Just look here: http://members.inode.at/357352/english/articles_orig.htm

Origin had realized that they could not implement this plot into their engine in time due to EA’s deadline, so they had to cut almost everything and create the simple actual Ascension plot in the shortest amount of time possible. You must also bear in mind that the Origin that released Ascension was not the same company who made Ultima 7: Serpent Isle.

Only two of the developers were still old school: Richard Garriott and Herman Miller; the rest consisted of new develepors who didn’t even know the history of Ultima and had different ideas about Ultima in general. Richard Garriott was lead designer, of course, but at that time, he was rather involved in company policy issues than the actual design of the game. So it’s actually no surprise how little of the “Ultima spirit” was left in the game.

If you don't beleive it, cross reference it with the wikipedia article,or google, or just take my work for it since at the time I followed it really closely.

CaptNKILL
06-21-06, 03:14 PM
Wow, this is already turning nasty...

I never would have seen that coming!

:wonder:

Superfly
06-21-06, 03:30 PM

Shhhh

:D

|MaguS|
06-21-06, 03:36 PM
The mention of Richard Garriott proves that Ultima was doomed... Have you been keeping track of his lastest projects? He can't even keep the premise straight... constantly changing every aspect of it.

Oh and EA purchased Origin back in 1992 so anything released after that was under EA management... even UO. Ultima 7 was made and released after EA purchased Origins, which Richard Garriott was a part of. He stayed with Origins untill 1999 so blame him not EA.

Namrok
06-21-06, 04:25 PM
The mention of Richard Garriott proves that Ultima was doomed... Have you been keeping track of his lastest projects? He can't even keep the premise straight... constantly changing every aspect of it.

Oh and EA purchased Origin back in 1992 so anything released after that was under EA management... even UO. Ultima 7 was made and released after EA purchased Origins, which Richard Garriott was a part of. He stayed with Origins untill 1999 so blame him not EA.

We obviously won't agree on Ultima, so explain Wing Commander, Dungeon Keeper, Populous, Magic Carpet, Privateer and all the other strong IPs that Origin has squelched for seemingly no reason?

|MaguS|
06-21-06, 04:41 PM
We obviously won't agree on Ultima, so explain Wing Commander, Dungeon Keeper, Populous, Magic Carpet, Privateer and all the other strong IPs that Origin has squelched for seemingly no reason?

I never recalled any sequels planned for Magic Carpet and Populous aswell as Wing Commander. If there was a plan to continue Wing Commander it could have easily been canceled due to the poor response to the TV Series and Movie.

Dungeon Keeper 3 was only rumored to be in production and was never proven if it was cancelled due to EA or Bullfrogs decision, but evidence points towards Bullfrogs since they decided to nolonger make RTS titles. LINK (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2610618.html?q=Dungeon%20Keeper%203)

Privateer Online was canned because EA did not wish to continue with MMOs at that time, that is why they killed all their other MMO projects. Even Earth and Beyond which was doing pretty well. Maybe now that they have Mythic, they will revive those games.

Whats there to disagree about Ultima? In 1992 EA purchased Origin, any Ultima game released afterwards was under the EA Banner so your excuse that Ascesions wasn't as good as 7 because of EA is moot since 7 was also created under EA, aswell as Ultima Online.

As for the rest of the IPs... maybe EA doesn't care for them? They own them after all, they might not be IPs that would generate the profits they wish, or maybe they wish to work on NEW IPs rather then revive ones that many seems to have forgotten (your not naming none but the big ones).

killahsin
06-21-06, 06:09 PM
Um EA has actually changed most of its ways. Believe it or not. Secondly EA did kill ultima not richard garriot. Had you played the game at E3 you would have known the game was very solid. EA killed the game for the sole reason that running ultima online was far cheaper and far more revenue generated for very little development costs. Even making an expansion for it costs little compared to making anything RPg fully 3D. Especially the content and art side of the equation. Thus the rate of return per pixel was far less even if the game was a success. Where as with ultima online the rate of return per design cost is massive. Most mmo's are of the 50 million dollar margin to create right now. Thats all pre-release costs. What they did was actually quite smart this time around. However stupid they were for nixing ultima x. And however retarded they have treated their employee's in the past.

As far as garriot and games, with ncsoft he has free reign to change a game as much as he wants. He can nix a project recreate it redesign it as much as he wants. NCSOFT is a company only because they copied a vast majority of garriots ideas and vice versa. And from what I have seen and heard about his game again it is very very solid. To base a man's creations on what he has released recently is foolish. He helped create a genre and industry that has grown larger then anyone predicted its market was capable of sustaining. He also brang morality into the games industry when there was none, it was all killing and all comedy, or all gameplay. You may dislike and critque him, but the man is a god among developers to other developers, and thats what matters. His influence helped create a vast majority of games you probably hold dear. To that you owe him credit. almsot every great rpg has a team behind it that lists the ultima games as turning points in their career choices.

Edge
06-21-06, 06:50 PM

How about because the last two MMORPGs they bought out they shut down less than 2 years later (after cutting all support for them)? All that financial backing, and they couldn't even keep their servers up for longer than free MMORPGs do.

For Mythic, ehh, we'll see. Strange that they would buy an MMORPG developer after all but abandoning MMORPGs. But I wouldn't be surprised to see DAoC myseriously shut down and Command and Camelot pop up a few months later.

Mr. Hunt
06-21-06, 08:48 PM
Ahh... I was almost thinking of going back to DOAC... not anymore :\.

K007
06-21-06, 09:43 PM
Command and Conquer...MMO!..i bet

GamerGuyX
06-21-06, 10:45 PM

|MaguS| is just getting defensive because we are making fun of his former place of business. He takes that as a personal attack on himself.

Mr. Hunt
06-22-06, 02:23 AM
|MaguS| is just getting defensive because we are making fun of his former place of business. He takes that as a personal attack on himself.

Yeah... I can't blame the guy for working there though... must be nice to get paid and do NOTHING new every year.

|MaguS|
06-22-06, 02:32 AM
Yeah... I can't blame the guy for working there though... must be nice to get paid and do NOTHING new every year.

If I worked on the sports titles it would have been like that, lol. One of my friends got switched to a new sports title and is bitching to me constantly. The team wants to implement some new features but management is playing it safe and not changing "Core" features.

But I got paid good so if I had to make nothing but sports titles I would haven't cared, hehe. I was defending EA on the basis that I don't see what they do for the most part wrong, alot of canceled titles were from franchises that were losing their grip aswell as in a genre that in the past was not stable.

I don't play sports games but the EA games I do play I can't complain about.