PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Nightmare

JohnEJohn
06-21-06, 02:27 PM
So after a slow day at work I arrive home and my EVGA 7950GX2 has arrived.

Great I thought will be up in 10 minutes as I already have the 1011.006 bios installed.... how wrong I was.

Ok so I have the mentioned EVGA card installed in a ASUS A8N-SLI Premiun, posts as usual but when detecting my raid set (silicon image) it does not display all of the information, it the goes to the next screen and lists all of my devices and resources as normal, then it just hangs when it should be booting... sigh

Have tried setting bios defaults etc, flashing to v1302 beta bios released a few days ago to no avail... I'm sitting here typing on a freaking Matrox G200 with hitman contracts and scratches staring me in the face!

It sounds definately like a conflict between the graphics card and the silicon image controller. I dont want to do a reinstall, there's over 120GB of data on here.

Anyone got any suggestins or fixes please??

How about enabling nvraid and just switching the cables around or would this destroy the array???

God what a nightmare.:(

PeterJensen
06-21-06, 02:38 PM
I sounds like a reinstall to me :(

JohnEJohn
06-21-06, 03:06 PM
Sorry should of added this, if I remove the graphics card and use my G200 all is fine.

I have just tried using NVRaid but it results in a blue sceen after the XP loading screen. Im going to reinstall my nvidia drivers and try again... the only thing is I want to use my freaking Silicon Image controller... gah

shungokusatsu
06-21-06, 03:16 PM
Sorry should of added this, if I remove the graphics card and use my G200 all is fine.

I have just tried using NVRaid but it results in a blue sceen after the XP loading screen. Im going to reinstall my nvidia drivers and try again... the only thing is I want to use my freaking Silicon Image controller... gah

I've seen about 10 people here and on evga forums who are having problems with the cards along with Raid. It does seem to be some sort of issue with the drivers and silicon image driver. Make sure your using the latest NForce chipset drivers.

Riptide
06-21-06, 03:42 PM
As usual you can't just plug it in and have it work. :D

Sorry to hear about that man. Believe me, I know how it is.

JohnEJohn
06-21-06, 04:09 PM
Well in the PCI Device listing just after post, when using the Silicon image raid controller and the 7950 the raid controller does not show up. The 7950 shows IRQ10

However if I run my crusty old Matrox G200 with the Silicon image raid controller enabled the raid controller is listed as IRQ10.

It seems to me that there is an irq conflict between the two and on this board you can only force irqs as reserved or as pci device.
If I chose IRQ10 as reserved the IRQ for the graphics card changes but the Silicon image raid controller does not display. I think that it changes to the same IRQ as the graphics card resulting in another conflict although I can't prove this.

This should be simple enough for ASUS to sort out...

Suppose i'm going to have to use my friday off reinstalling using nvraid if I don't find a solution rather than playing games which is what it was intended for :(

JohnEJohn
06-21-06, 05:31 PM
Well still no joy, been reading that some people report that the 1009 bios works but I cant flash this version as it states downgrade not allowed....... all day fixing crappy office pc's with windows 95 because they refuse to upgrade and I come home to this crap :thumbdwn:

Edit
Well Installed the 1009 bios and still no joy... I'm off to bed will pick it up again in the morning before work

JohnEJohn
06-22-06, 07:44 AM
Well can't believe I didn't think of this earlier......

There's a 2port SATA Raid controller (Another Silicon Image one!) in my test machine at work. Will try this out first, anything other than a full reinstall I will try.

Fingers crossed

shungokusatsu
06-22-06, 10:12 AM
Well can't believe I didn't think of this earlier......

There's a 2port SATA Raid controller (Another Silicon Image one!) in my test machine at work. Will try this out first, anything other than a full reinstall I will try.

Fingers crossed
I feel you on those full reinstalls, especially if you bust your ass and it still doesn't work.

Riptide
06-22-06, 10:24 AM
lol

Tell me about it. Spent most of last night ripping apart my computer to put a new board in and had to just put it all back together again. Hours down the toilet. Fun stuff! :thumbsup:

Athena
06-22-06, 11:16 AM
Believe me if you have the old card just back up your data and do a fresh install. the time you waste trying to get it to work w/ the old install is just wasted time.

But on a MOBO of that quality can't you force the IRQs?

JohnEJohn
06-25-06, 05:01 AM
:thumbdwn: Unfortunately you can't choose which IRQ is reserved for what..

Anyways... I tried the PCI SATA Raid controller.... it corrupted my boot sector and when I tried fixboot it then corrupted my partitions.... tried all the tools under the sun but couldn't fix it.

So had to use ontrack EasyRecovery Professional to restore my data to my 30GB backup drive..

What a bloody mess. Oh well am all up and running now wih a fresh install.

Next time I wont even attempt the seemingly easy route!