PDA

View Full Version : Should I get the BFG 7900gt?

Arrowhead
06-21-06, 06:34 PM
I dunno...

I'd rather get the 7900gt but I may have to settle for the 7600gt because I'm just hearing too many horror stories about defective 7900s.

I'm not interested in overclocking(the bfg is pre-OCed a little anyways). I just want a good stable card, and the 7900 looks good to me on paper...

rflair
06-21-06, 07:02 PM
Have one, BFG7900GT great card.

Stevedroid
06-21-06, 07:16 PM
7900GTs are fine, you just can't push them too hard on the stock cooling.

I have no idea why you'd get one from BFG though. The EVGA cards now have much better coolers than all other brands and according to Newegg you can get a model clocked faster than the BFG card for $30 cheaper and that's before an additional $30 rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130015

That's easily the best deal going as far as 7900GTs are concerned.

---Edit---

Just realized you're in Canada and unfortunately I don't think Newegg ships there. Sadly I'm not very familiar with good online retailers that will ship internationally. Regardless go for the EVGA card if you can.

leafo
06-21-06, 08:32 PM
I have a 7900GT (not bfg though) but it is great. Runs reall stable even at super speeds.

But, think about it for a moment. A lot of people have been buying 7900GTs, infact they were sold out all over the place for a while. But, if whoever bought one got a stable card, they are not going to go to a forum to say they have a stable card. If they have a defective one though, then they would go complain someplace. That would explain why you see so many people complaining about defective ones when there may not actually be as many as you think (in terms of percentage).

SLippe
06-21-06, 09:05 PM
Jesus Christ!! How many threads do we need about problems with the 7900 series? First of all, it's not all 7900's. It's mostly GTX's and factory OC'd GT's. However, I've never had a problem with my eVGA Superclocked one and I have it vmodded at that. Geez!

Arrowhead
06-21-06, 09:34 PM
Jesus Christ!! How many threads do we need about problems with the 7900 series? First of all, it's not all 7900's. It's mostly GTX's and factory OC'd GT's. However, I've never had a problem with my eVGA Superclocked one and I have it vmodded at that. Geez!

geez, okay thank you. next time I won't even attempt to bother you again with such a question. (even though I'm just a potential customer seeking advice... :rolleyes:)

anyways, I think I've just about made up my mind. The BFG it is because of its life time warranty and it has a good price in my area. (the evga is about $60 more for some reason.)

thanks for the help guys.

Rytr
06-21-06, 09:46 PM
I dunno...

I'd rather get the 7900gt but I may have to settle for the 7600gt because I'm just hearing too many horror stories about defective 7900s.

I'm not interested in overclocking(the bfg is pre-OCed a little anyways). I just want a good stable card, and the 7900 looks good to me on paper...

You can believe what you want but stories are a dime a dozen although I am sure some have gotten bad cards. Take a chance and get the 7900GT and enjoy the experience like many of us have. ;)