PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else unhappy with XFX company?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ant
06-22-06, 02:05 AM
Is it me or is this XFX company awful? Its support sucks, telephone calls kept dropping, RMA within warranty requires signature confirmation for proof of sending it, they took their own forums down, their support requires members to register, must have serial # and model # or no support, won't answer my question about how long it usually take to RMA, etc.

I am never buying their cards again. I hope they RMA my card. They have to check on to see if it is really broken and I didn't do anything to void my warranty (had it for 7 months). Bad comments on http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwyLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
(bottom section about XFX).

Have you heard/seen/had bad times with XFX?

Thank you in advance. :)

Lfctony
06-22-06, 04:23 AM
Yeah, general consensus seems to be that XFX support is quite bad. I've had no dealings with them myself, but with so much I've been hearing I won't be buying a card from XFX...

Tony.

shabby
06-22-06, 06:11 AM
When i deal with xfx support i'll let you know, until then my card is running just fine since i bought it the second it came out.

superklye
06-22-06, 07:11 AM
I, too, have had no problems. Of course, I've only had my cards for like two weeks, but still.

Riptide
06-22-06, 08:03 AM
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1062914

Yikes. Hope mine doesn't break.

heatlesssun
06-22-06, 09:09 AM
We'll I now have two XFX XXX 7950GX2's, and everything has worked out of the box just fine (knock on wood!) , so there's an A.

I'm sorry to hear your problems dealing with them. I hate bad customer support!

Good luck!

OWA
06-22-06, 12:34 PM
I've only had one or two XFX cards but they always worked fine so I never had to use the support. So, I guess I can't comment on that part.

Roadhog
06-22-06, 12:46 PM
ive never had a problem with their support and all ive owned is XFX cards.

MikeC
06-22-06, 01:04 PM
Is it me or is this XFX company awful? Its support sucks, telephone calls kept dropping, RMA within warranty requires signature confirmation for proof of sending it, they took their own forums down, their support requires members to register, must have serial # and model # or no support, won't answer my question about how long it usually take to RMA, etc.

I am never buying their cards again. I hope they RMA my card. They have to check on to see if it is really broken and I didn't do anything to void my warranty (had it for 7 months). Bad comments on http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwyLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
(bottom section about XFX).

Have you heard/seen/had bad times with XFX?

Thank you in advance. :)

This is not uncommon for a company to test out the card before issuing a RMA. If you actually had the card why is it so bad to give the serial # and model #? Most companies require this.

Sound_Card
06-22-06, 07:39 PM
^ they shut down their own forums though, because it was being over piled with complaints. That tells me:thumbdwn:

leafo
06-22-06, 08:17 PM
When i deal with xfx support i'll let you know, until then my card is running just fine since i bought it the second it came out.
Same here.

wacky7
06-24-06, 01:29 AM
I have Two XFX 7800GTX 512MB EE in a ASUS motherboard with OCZ system memory. I have no problems with it .I never really have any problems so far. I had it quite a long time .but I was reading about there Warranty, hope my doesn't go out ,http://www.xfxforce.com/web/support/showWarranty.jspa?regionId=1&productGenerationId=11979

tell you this I love my XFX I will always buy tham again. (nana2) runs good

Xion X2
06-24-06, 08:40 AM
After spending 6 hours on a system build, all I had left to do was open up my new XFX 7900GTX video card which was still factory-sealed, insert it into my motherboard, fasten all video connections, and hit the power switch, and I would see for the first time in my life what high-level PC gaming was all about. After finally installing this last component, I received no signal to my monitor and spent the next two hours checking every component of my system. After those two hours, I finally broke down and realized what the real culprit was.

I'll never buy an XFX card again as long as I live.

shabby
06-24-06, 09:16 AM
After spending 6 hours on a system build, all I had left to do was open up my new XFX 7900GTX video card which was still factory-sealed, insert it into my motherboard, fasten all video connections, and hit the power switch, and I would see for the first time in my life what high-level PC gaming was all about. After finally installing this last component, I received no signal to my monitor and spent the next two hours checking every component of my system. After those two hours, I finally broke down and realized what the real culprit was.

I'll never buy an XFX card again as long as I live.

Just so you know, xfx doesnt build the cards. One manufacturer builds them, while evga/xfx/asus/bfg simply package them and ship them out. So that faulty basically could of came from anyone really, and in this case it was from xfx.

kwynjunk
06-24-06, 09:35 AM
I absolutely love my XXX 7950 from XFX!!!!

I do hate bad customer service. I haven't had to deal with them yet cause the card is phenomenal. Disappointing to hear about the customer service there.

On my old BFG 7800GTX, they had great customer service.

kwynjunk
06-24-06, 09:38 AM
Just so you know, xfx doesnt build the cards. One manufacturer builds them, while evga/xfx/asus/bfg simply package them and ship them out. So that faulty basically could of came from anyone really, and in this case it was from xfx.

Interesting. News to me. I had no idea. I thought each company purchased chipsets from Nvidia and then integrated them onto their cards and added their own cooling, BIOS, etc...

Xion X2
06-24-06, 09:42 AM

Who is the manufacturer? Are you telling me that those heat-sinks that read "XFX" or "eVGA extreme innovation" are slapped on by some third party then shipped to XFX or eVGA simply for packaging? That seems odd.

If your theory were true, then it doesn't make a lot of sense why some brands are less faulty than others if they're all getting them from the same manufacturer. BFG Tech's, like I have for instance, have always been some of the most reliable Nvidia cards which is one of the reasons they come with a lifetime warranty. Many others don't, including XFX the last time I checked.

For the first month or so the 7900GTX was out, XFX had a higher failure rate than any other card out there. All one had to do was read the reviews on newegg to see that. They were shipping them out DOA left and right.

I'm willing to consider your theory seriously but I'd like to see more proof first. Right now I don't believe it.

shabby
06-24-06, 01:59 PM
Who is the manufacturer? Are you telling me that those heat-sinks that read "XFX" or "eVGA extreme innovation" are slapped on by some third party then shipped to XFX or eVGA simply for packaging? That seems odd.

If your theory were true, then it doesn't make a lot of sense why some brands are less faulty than others if they're all getting them from the same manufacturer. BFG Tech's, like I have for instance, have always been some of the most reliable Nvidia cards which is one of the reasons they come with a lifetime warranty. Many others don't, including XFX the last time I checked.

For the first month or so the 7900GTX was out, XFX had a higher failure rate than any other card out there. All one had to do was read the reviews on newegg to see that. They were shipping them out DOA left and right.

I'm willing to consider your theory seriously but I'd like to see more proof first. Right now I don't believe it.

They're made by flextronics http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1060819

Lfctony
06-24-06, 02:02 PM
Yeah, but that is partly true. That happens early during a card's release for quality assurance. Afterwards, AIBs tend to manufacture their own cards, ie MSIs red ones, eVGAs black PCB ones etc.

gstanford
06-24-06, 09:58 PM
In XFX's case I'd suspect that PC-Chips builds the pcb's. Reason being PC-Chips/ECS are the only PCB manufacturers that use black PCB's. That and the quality control of XFX cards is about what you'd expect from PC-Chips...

Stevedroid
06-24-06, 10:42 PM
I've only had one dealing with XFX support: I submited a ticket to ask if I combined a VIVO 7900GT and a normal 7900GT in SLI mode if the video in capabilities of the VIVO card would still work (assuming I made it the primary card).

The replied quickly but they just said the cards will work in SLI mode - that's not what I asked, I was confident they would work in SLI, I just wanted to know if the video in would work. I made this extremely clear in my question. I suppose like most support departments, the reps are actually clueless and just working from manuals for the answers. Took another two tries before I finally got someone who understood what I was asking (the answer was ultiamtely no video in wouldn't work).

It was a bit annoying, but I was asking a fairly non-standard question and they were quick with their replies.

------

Xion X2: shabby is correct, most video card companies do not manufacture their own cards. They contract the work out to independant electronics manufacturers. It is quite common for two or more different companies to be using the same manufacturer. The initial run of 7900s all came from the same factory and were identical at the circuit board level; the various partners just then added their own coolers and BIOSes afterward.

Ignoring the fact that Newegg reviews are fairly worthless as data for an argument, one reason XFX cards may have had higher failure rates is because they were less careful about which cards they use for their factory overclocked versions. The most problematic cards where the overclocked ones and eVGA, BFG, etc. may have been a bit more selective in picking the cards to overclock. This could easily explain greater failure rates even though all cards were from the same factory.

Xion X2
06-25-06, 06:25 PM
Xion X2: shabby is correct, most video card companies do not manufacture their own cards. They contract the work out to independant electronics manufacturers.

It makes little difference to me if they contract it out or not; they simply chose a sh!tty manufacturer. The blame still lies at their feet and I will never buy one of their cards again. They are still responsible for poor quality control.

Ignoring the fact that Newegg reviews are fairly worthless as data for an argument,

It's easy to say that, but I'd love for you to offer me a valid reason why that data is "worthless" considering the fact that only official buyers of the product can leave feedback reviews. Only having an invoice for the product unlocks it, and so far, after buying thousands of dollars worth of products on newegg, I've found them to be an accurate indicator of what to expect.

one reason XFX cards may have had higher failure rates is because they were less careful about which cards they use for their factory overclocked versions. The most problematic cards where the overclocked ones and eVGA, BFG, etc. may have been a bit more selective in picking the cards to overclock. This could easily explain greater failure rates even though all cards were from the same factory.

Congratulations on using an entire paragraph to repeat exactly what I said earlier. They used poor quality control. That's it. That's all I care about, and that's exactly why I'll never buy one of their cards again.

Riptide
06-25-06, 08:01 PM
It's easy to say that, but I'd love for you to offer me a valid reason why that data is "worthless" considering the fact that only official buyers of the product can leave feedback reviews.Problems aren't always immediately apparent. Typically buyers post a review within about a week of buying something. Therefore I would never depend on newegg reviews when judging the longevity of pretty much any product.

takovr
06-25-06, 08:48 PM
Well here is what happened to me. I bought a xfx7900gt video card from new egg, Had the card a week and I started to get bsod's and texture flashing, Shipped card out to xfx and they sent me another one. Hade that one for about 2 weeks then it started to do the same thing as the first card. I called tech support and I told them im not going to pay another 30.00 for shipping out this card so they sent me out another one with a credit card hold until they get the old one back. They also ran the new card fore 2 days to make sure it was working. I got the card on Friday and so far it is working fine except when I click to exit fear my screen flashes and I have to re-boot my pc. There tech support has been good but I know there has been alot of problems with the 7900gt cards. I think all 7900gt cards were built fast and hurried out that is why there is alot of problems with them.

Xion X2
06-25-06, 11:16 PM
Problems aren't always immediately apparent. Typically buyers post a review within about a week of buying something. Therefore I would never depend on newegg reviews when judging the longevity of pretty much any product.

What you're suggesting doesn't wash. I'm not saying take brand X and consider it reliable/not reliable based solely on the reviews given for it. I'm saying compare brand X to brand Y and Z and see, based upon equal number of reviews, which is more reliable than the next. This should work just fine unless you just want to say brand X had more people rate it early than brand Y & Z, but then you're just being subjective on no basis of proof. If you'll notice above, I also specified the case of a DOA (dead-on-arrival) video card which doesn't need weeks and weeks or months and months of testing. XFX had a ton of these that were dead out the door while other companies didn't. That says something.

When I've taken the majority opinion on products from their reviews, their results have always been spot on for me in the real world. But perhaps I've just been lucky 10-12 times in a row and should play the lottery.

Also, I've seen plenty of cases where individuals didn't come back to review a product for weeks or months. To me, that's enough time to make a judgment; I do the same thing myself--not rate a product until I've had it at least a month.