PDA

View Full Version : Really glad I finally got a GeForce4 Ti 4200!

Pages : [1] 2

hondas2k
02-06-03, 01:55 PM
I know that this is not really anything new to anyone here but I just wanted to share how thrilled I am to finally have a 128MB GF4 Ti4200.

Last year I upgraded from my old PIII to a P41.6 with 512MB PC2100 RAM to go along with my 21" monitor, Matrox G400 Max and SBLive!. That setup was fine until I got UT2K3 and while I could run it decently enough speed wise, I had to have it set to the lowest levels with all of the eye candy turned off.

Before UT2K3 came out, I was really into Medal of Honor and I wanted to see if I could make it look and run a little better so I got a used GF2 Ti from a friend but for some reason, I could not get it to run with MOH. I gave it back and continued on with my Matrox card. After UT2K3 came out, I was really eager to get a new card and along came another friend who converted from PC to MAC and he sold me his 128MB Radeon 8500. Again, I had even worse problems with this card, so I sold it.

I was really getting fed up with slow frame rates and not being able to have all of the cool features turned on so I started looking around for good deals on GeForce 3 cards and almost won a GF3 on Ebay yesterday for $42 but was out bid at the last second, which turned out to be a good thing.

I went to Best Buy last night and noticed that they had an in store rebate of $20 on the BFG Asylum 128 MB Ti 4200 as well as a $30 mail in rebate. I happened to have $75 worth of Best Buy gift cards with me that I got for Christmas so I was set. What was even better was that there was an open box for another $20 off so I ended up paying $98 for it.

I was so stoked when I got home and it installed with no problems but I was even more excited when I loaded UT2K3, turned up all of the details and turned on all of the eye candy and started playing. WOW! I finally saw all of the cool things that I had always seen in screen shots.

Anyway, I know that all of you already know this but I just had to share. I will not slam ATI even though I went through a lot of time and effort to try to get the Radeon to work because I have seen it run and it is nice and I know the new 9700 kicks ass. However, the GeForce ran right out of the box and I didn't have to make any changes or concessions to get it to run, so I am a happy camper and this card should last me for quite awhile.

I have not been this excited about a graphics card since way back in my 3DFX Voodoo days with the first Unreal Tournament!

Kirk

jnd3
02-06-03, 02:14 PM
Sweet! I'm feeling the excitement too...my Asus V9280TD (Ti4200/8x/128MB) and the rest of my upgrades boarded the plane in CA this morning (courtesy of our great friends at NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com)). I am certainly looking forward to the eye candy! Not that my GF2 is BAD or anything...just a little dated, that's all! ;) And it sounds like you got a good price, too...another reason I went with the 4200. Less than $150 was what I wanted to spend. Enjoy your new card, and happy gaming!

Cheers,
JND

hondas2k
02-06-03, 02:19 PM
Thanks JND. I see that you are getting the 8x AGP card. Mine says that it is an 8x AGP card when looking at the properties but it does not say that anywhere on the box. My motherboard only supports 4x but if I ever upgrade I am wondering if mine truly is an 8x or if it is just due to the drivers or something that is making it show up that way? Anyway, I am so pleased right now that I don't care. If it turns out that it is an 8x AGP card then that it just a bonus for me.

Anyway, enjoy your card when you get it.

Kirk

Admiral Horror
02-06-03, 02:44 PM
Congrats on your purchase hondas2k, have a blast with it.

I myself am also waiting for ASUS V9280-VS to become available in Canada, as I want a GF4200 based card with 2 DVI connectors.

Meanwhile I am using a 4Mb PCI SIS card. Imagine all the scores I get in 3DMark, LOL

hondas2k
02-06-03, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Horror
Congrats on your purchase hondas2k, have a blast with it.

I myself am also waiting for to become available in Canada, as I want a GF4200 based card with 2 DVI connectors.

Meanwhile I am using a 4Mb PCI SIS card. Imagine all the scores I get in 3DMark, LOL

A 4MB PCI SIS card?:eek:

I actually took my Matrox card up to work so I could play UT2K3 online in the evening before I went home since we have a T1. My work PC is a 1.3 Athlon and it only had an 8MB SIS video card in it so the Matrox was a big improvement there.

At home I went back to my old 32MB NVIDIA TNT2 which was OK and I do have a cable modem so speed was not a problem either.

Gaming is so much better with the Ti4200 now though and this card has an S-video and a DVI out which is great.

How long do you have to wait to get the new Asus card?

Kirk

Smokey
02-06-03, 07:55 PM
Welcome to georgous gaming :D I chose the exact same card for my brother in law after his pc fried in a storm, free upgrade all paid for. Its always fun upgrading when you havent done it for awhile. As for me, my xp1800+ died xmas day, so im using a duron600@900 for the moment, waiting for my parents to send me an xp2800+, 512mb cruical 3500XMS + heatsink, this will be for my xmas/birthday present handy having them work in Taiwan for the next three years :p

Anyways enjoy your card, enjoy your games....until next upgrade ;)

Admiral Horror
02-06-03, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by hondas2k

How long do you have to wait to get the new Asus card?

Kirk

I honestly have no idea. This card is currently sold in Europe, Asia and Australia, but not North America. I emailed Asus asking about the availability of it and predictably didn't get any reply. Hopefully the reason they didn't reply is because they are too busy fixing up A7N8X bios and making Q-fan work on that board.

Regards

Gator
02-07-03, 08:11 AM
Good for you! And a nice price too! :cool:

I know how you feel, I had a Radeon 64DDR which ran UT2k3 fine, but I had to turn everything down. So I tried a R8500 and it was a NIGHTMARE. I sold it on ebay, and bought a TI4400 instead. It was such a pleasure to be able to simply insert card in AGP slot, power system, install drivers, start playing! I didn't have to do any special tweaks or anything, and UT2k3 ran nice and smooth with nearly everythign set to high (i keep physics low because that's CPU dependent).

I hear the R9700 kicks butt too! But the way I see it, the TI4400 is doing a great job already, why rock the boat. :rolleyes: :)

Se-Rag
02-07-03, 09:15 AM
I honestly have no idea. This card is currently sold in Europe, Asia and Australia, but not North America. I emailed Asus asking about the availability of it and predictably didn't get any reply. Hopefully the reason they didn't reply is because they are too busy fixing up A7N8X bios and making Q-fan work on that board.

Regards

Deals Direct in Ottawa list the card there for $360

http://www.dealsdirect.ca/catalog/mall.cfm?CATEGORY=55

hondas2k
02-07-03, 11:13 AM

Regards

Why are you waiting for this GF4 Ti card specifically? Just wondering since there are so many out there.

Kirk

Gator
02-07-03, 11:41 AM
Why are you waiting for this GF4 Ti card specifically? Just wondering since there are so many out there.

Kirk

Agreed. There are many excellent GF4TI varieties available. My Gainward TI4400 comes with heatsinks, VIVO, & decent overclocking utility; while my friend's MSI TI4600 clocks at 325/715! So why wait on Asus?
:super:

Smokey
02-07-03, 12:52 PM
nm

Smokey
02-07-03, 12:54 PM

Kirk

If im reading this right, I think he said in his first post?

I myself am also waiting for ASUS V9280-VS to become available in Canada, as I want a GF4200 based card with 2 DVI connectors.

Gator
02-07-03, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Smokey

opps :p

hondas2k
02-07-03, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Smokey

Ah, 2 DVI connectors. Gotcha.

Kirk

hondas2k
02-07-03, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Gator
Good for you! And a nice price too! :cool:
I hear the R9700 kicks butt too! But the way I see it, the TI4400 is doing a great job already, why rock the boat. :rolleyes: :)

I agree, I will be in no hurry to upgrade my video card again. However, I may give this PC to my fiance when she graduates from A&M in May and moves back to Austin, and build myself a new one. She is currently using my old Dell PII 300 laptop.

If I do build a new PC, I will get another Nvidia card since I had such good luck with this one.

Thanks again for all of the kudos. It is great to get this kind of feedback even though the card has been out for awhile.

Kirk

Admiral Horror
02-07-03, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Se-Rag
Deals Direct in Ottawa list the card there for $360

http://www.dealsdirect.ca/catalog/mall.cfm?CATEGORY=55

Thanks for the link Se-Rag, I'll have to check it out. The item name says "Asus V9280S-TVD" but the link under "Learn more" points to V9280-VS model. I think I'll be emailing them for clarification.

Ah, 2 DVI connectors. Gotcha.

Yeah, 2 DVI connectors :-)

I am planning on buying a 15" LCD screen with a DVI connector (probably Samsung 152T). In a year or two, when quility of LCDs goes up and prices come down I'll buy a second 17" or 18" monitor and use my original one as a secondary. Having two monitors is quite useful when doing work and I suspect that many new games will support multi-monitor setup as well.

The thing about this card is that it has ALL the factors I'd wish for in a card:
- reasonable price (I am neither a millionair nor a computer nut)
- GF4 4200 (gotta be able to play games :-)
- dual-DVI (see above)
- VIVO (to capture videos from my VHS camcorder and make video CDs)
- Smart cooling fan (it's a computer, not a dustbuster)
- Asus build (I've had good experience with ASUS, besides my MB is A7N8X so there can't be any excuses for incompatibility since both are designed by nVidia and manufactured by Asus)

So, all peaces of the puzzle are there except for the availability of the card. I guess I'll just have to be patient. Hopefully when GFFX comes out prices for GF4 will come down even more :-)

Cheers

hondas2k
02-07-03, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the info on the Asus. My MB is an Asus and I have had no problems with it. My GF4 has a DVI connector and I eventually want to get an 18" or larger LCD too when the prices come down and the quality gets a bit better.

I too was planning on waiting for the prices of the GF4's to fall a bit after the FX was released but I just came across such a good deal at Best Buy so I couldn't resist.

Let us know when you get yours.

Kirk

OptimusPrime
04-05-03, 10:33 AM
Thanks JND. I see that you are getting the 8x AGP card. Mine says that it is an 8x AGP card when looking at the properties but it does not say that anywhere on the box.

I my self have an Asylum Ti4200 and dont see anywhere saying that it is 8x. My motherboard does support 8x agp, and when I look in any properties it either says 4x or just AGP. I have nvidia's detonator drivers 43.45 and it list the card as 4xAGP, so I dont know. I bought the Geforce4 ti because I was under the impresstion that all the Ti line was 8x. I didnt get the rebate on the card so I bit the whole price. Does anyone have an idea?

Woody

hondas2k
04-05-03, 10:38 AM
From reading other posts about this, I think the drivers are showing it as an 8X AGP card but I am pretty sure it is a 4X.

Kirk

darkmiasma
04-05-03, 10:58 AM
Actually I had an Asylum 4200 and it was AGP 4x, but the newer revisions are actually 8x ... it will be a blue PCB and say TI4280 ... thats what i have now.

hondas2k
04-05-03, 11:00 AM
I got mine a couple of months ago so I will have to check it when I get home.

Kirk

OptimusPrime
04-05-03, 11:16 AM
From reading other posts about this, I think the drivers are showing it as an 8X AGP card but I am pretty sure it is a 4X.

Kirk This is Directly from Bfg Tech.
I see that the card that I paid $178 was a misprinted overpriced imposter. there are two versions of the ti4200 128mb ver. there is the regular ti4200 and the ti4200se. It has all the same specs without the 8x

Specifications
• Controller: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
• Bus Type AGP
• Memory 128MB DDR or 64MB DDR version
• Core Clock 250MHz
• Memory Clock 500MHz DDR memory for the 64MB version and 444MHz for the 128MB version
• RAMDAC Dual 350MHz
• API Support Direct-X®, Open GL ICD® for Windows
• Connectors VGA, DVI, TV Out
• 1.03 trillion operations/sec.
• 113 million vertices/sec setup
• 8.0GB/second memory bandwidth for the 64MB card and 7.1GB/second for the 128MB card

Features at a Glance
• AGP 8x compatible with fast writes
• 256-bit 3D and 2D graphics accelerator
• NVIDIA nView™ display technologies
• Lightspeed Memory Architecture™ II
• Accuview Antialiasing™
• High Definition Video Processing Engine
• TV Out connector
• DVI connector

OptimusPrime
04-05-03, 11:26 AM
How come some users say Geforce4 ti4xxx and some say riva128
I dont have that card I have a Ti4200

hondas2k
04-05-03, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by OptimusPrime
How come some users say Geforce4 ti4xxx and some say riva128
I dont have that card I have a Ti4200

That is related to how many posts you have and named for various NVIDIA cards, not the one that you have in your system.

Kirk